Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SAUR FORTRESS 2: THE DAHRNOSAUWRS RETURN (Requesting modding help)  (Read 979 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

Hiya guys. Guess who's back?

Now, with the last Saur Fortress, we had a lot of fun dinosaur-related shenanigans for a long while before it petered out. This is mainly because of the lack of modularity to Saur Fortress (and my choice to use Notepad)- there were too many variables to add, and bits kept being missed or mucked up; generally, although it was satisfying to get a new pack up, reaching that point was a problem.

So. Here is what I suggest.

As I have completely forgotten how to mod, I need willing modders to help create not just dinosaurs, but a freely-available dinosaur-creation system. By using a series of body detail plans, modding dinosaurs could change from being a rather confusing endeavour prone to bugs to simply switching bits and bobs to form the wanted creature.

With some guidance and bug-checking, I could largely do this myself- after all, that's basically how the original Saur Fortress worked. So I'd like to ask how to-

Basic Modding
-Create a body detail plan.
-Attach a body detail plan to a particular part of an animal.
-Choose the number of toes an animal has.

Body parts
-Create a 'Crest' body detail plan that will attach a bony head ornament, for eyebrow crests like on Ceratosaurus, beak crests like on Ornithocheirus and head crests like on Pteranodon.
-Create a 'Beaked jaw' body detail plan that will give an animal a beak at the front of a toothy mouth, for animals such as Triceratops and Iguanadon.
-Create a 'Spiky plates' body detail plan that will attach a number of bony spines to part of the body, such as on the tail and chest for animals like Polocanthus.
-Create a 'Bony shield' body detail plan that will attach a large plate of bone to part of the body, such as the hips for Polocanthus or as the frill for Triceratops (Trikes having a solid frill instead of the hollow frills of most of its relatives).
-Create a 'Tiny head' body detail plan for animals with tiny heads and tiny brains like Apatosaurus and Stegosaurus.
-Create a 'Solid tail' body detail plan for animals with thick tails that could be used as a bashing weapon, such as Apatosaurus.
-Create a 'Balancing tail' body detail plan for animals with large tails that wouldn't be used for attaching, such as Iguanadon or Tyrannosaurus.
-Create a 'Long neck' body detail plan for... well, long-necked dinosaurs.
-Create a 'Semi-scaly' body detail plan for animals with scaly undersides and feed, but feathery everything-else, such as Tyrannosaurus and Compsognathus.
-Create a 'Giant claw' body detail plan for animals with especially large claws that could be used as a bashing weapon, such as Velociraptor, Spinosaurus and Therezinosaurus.
-Create a 'Clawed wing' body detail plan for animals with both feathery wings and claws, such as Velociraptor and Archeopteryx.
-Create a 'Wing-fingered' body detail plan for animals with a wing made up of a leg with three claws, a wing finger and a wing membrane attached- aka pterosaurs.
-Create an 'Adult clawed wing' body detail plan for animals that only grew wing feathers as an adult, such as Gallimimus.

Behaviour
-Create a 'Strong swimmer' body detail plan for swimming dinosaurs such as Spinosaurus.
-Create a 'Wall scaler' body detail plan for animals that can run up sheer walls like Velociraptor. (Also YES THE ORIGINAL INTENTION COMES TO FRUITION.)

Once this is done, the first habitat shall be able to be created, and Saur Fortress shall rise again!

(All Saur Fortress files, both original and Saur Fortress 2, will be available for free use. Please give credit for all Saur Fortress files used. Thank you.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:28:01 am by Eotyrannus »

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
Re: SAUR FORTRESS 2: THE DAHRNOSAUWRS RETURN (Requesting modders)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:56:22 pm »

Requesting modders is usually a no go, and besides. Once you start trying to mod again, you'll get the hang of it.

As for the strong swimmer stuff, you just need to add a few tags to make that work.

Like, alligators have these two tags [SWIMS_INNATE] and [AMPHIBIOUS]

The [SWIMS_INNATE] is there so that it naturally knows how to swim, and [AMPHIBIOUS] is there to make sure that it doesn't drown while it swims.

As for the strong climber stuff, you just need to give them high climbing stats, like cats. Though maybe not as much since all cats are legendary climbers. They use the following tags [STANCE_CLIMBER][NATURAL_SKILL:CLIMBING:15]
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
Re: SAUR FORTRESS 2: THE DAHRNOSAUWRS RETURN (Requesting modders)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:05:16 pm »

Oh my, this should be interesting.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: SAUR FORTRESS 2: THE DAHRNOSAUWRS RETURN (Requesting modding help)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 06:27:24 am »

Requesting modders is usually a no go, and besides. Once you start trying to mod again, you'll get the hang of it.

Changed the title to 'requesting modding help'- I'm planning to do all my own work as long as I know how to do it. :)

I think the first part I need before I can start properly (I've already done some files) is how to do body detail plans, and how to put however many body parts (in this case, a foot or hand) on the end of another (in this case, a wing)- as soon as I've learned that, most of the other bits and bobs should be able to slot into place.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
Re: SAUR FORTRESS 2: THE DAHRNOSAUWRS RETURN (Requesting modding help)
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:47:28 pm »

May I suggest using Pydwarf for helping to alleviate your modularity troubles? It sounds like it could be exactly what you need, and all that's necessary to write mods for it is a basic understanding of Python. And if you decide to try it then I'd be happy to help out where I can.