Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My best ever pit trap thought  (Read 2302 times)

Serani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My best ever pit trap thought
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »

So I've managed to start on a new map, with the Nature's motherlode of the most feared of all predators.....only about 90 or so Carp (some 8 pages of crap, with Lamprey, banded knife fish, milkfish and longnose gar). So far one dog has been ripped in half. I immediately turned off fishing, and that dwarf has a new job of hauling loads of stone. If that wasn't enough, i've also got what appears to be 2 groups of gorillas on Z+2 or so, naturally hunting isn't happening any time soon.

But now after thinking about this, I want to build the best pit trap ever. How can I divert 30 or so carp into a pit thats down about 3 levels or so? I'm thinking that Z-1 will be open as will Z-2 and Z-3 will be the "Pit Of Despair". I could then station marksdwarves on z-2 well out of the range of the atrocities in the pit.

But I can't figure out how to make the carp swim into the thing. And I've no useful ideas as to actually caging the things and moving them. I suppose thats a good job for that random Milker that I get stuck with in my 3rd migrant wave.

I've got to do something, i'm in a warm biome, so this river is not freezing...ever. Anyone with an aptitude for herding and pitting the ruthless litte mosters?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: My best ever pit trap thought
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

use water pressure to move the, - difficult but do you know how many creatures in underground rivers fall into the end-chasm- a laughable amount. Just make they can't get out and use a flood gate like;
code:
X    X
     F    []~~~~~~
     X    X
     X~~~~X

Serani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

I was planning on digging out a rather large space and then have it linked to the river by floodgate. But thinking about that, the water pressure thing could be bad. I see a save scum coming to deal with the flying carp phenomonon. Oh God, that's worse than the elephants....

My text drawing abilities are bad, and the forum didn't like the attempt all that well.

I'd just like to have the pit available for "Feeding Time", so when the first wave of goblins show up, I can toss the Master Thief and the Lasher to the fish.

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Serani ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

Do cage traps work underwater? If so then try using them.

Serani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Underwater cage traps....I don't recall but doesn't water mess up things like that once it comes rushing in?

That's a must try, definitely.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

According to the wiki, you can build glass cages (terrariums) and convert them into aquariums once they're built. Then, you can have your trappers build animal traps and use the fishery to tell your fisherman to nab live fish. Your fisherdwarves will have to come close to the water to do that, so expect to lose many good dwarves for each carp you capture. Once the fish are in the cage, assign them to the death pond and release them from the cage.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

Doesn't "capture live fish" only catch vermin_fish?  Things like char and trout, rather than the "creature fish" like carp and sharks.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

Gorillas aren't very dangerous. I don't think I've ever lost a hunter to one, so fire away.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Untelligent:
<STRONG>Gorillas aren't very dangerous. I don't think I've ever lost a hunter to one, so fire away.</STRONG>

You've obviously never had a home-grown giant army of them all go beserk at once. It was a massacre.  :(

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 02:44:00 am »

Use floodgates to set up a multi-chamber 'air lock' type system.

Carp enters first chamber, you hit a switch and the door closes, traping it, then another to open the gate, allowing it into your pond. Close the gate once the carp has left, then repeat.

Could take a while, tho.

If you have a river to replenish the water, you can use water pressure; channel out a large area for your first lock chamber, then pump the water off map or something with a wall keeping it from flowing back into the lock. Should speed things up a bit, just remember to turn the pumps off befor closing the lock, or your carp will dry out.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 08:13:00 am »

My first thought would be to lure them down a waterfall. Set up a waterfall leading into your pit trap and just let the carp fall in. I'm pretty sure they won't be able to get back up. Just make sure you've got the whole thing channeled out before letting the deathfish in so your miners don't have to deal with them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:42:00 am »

If you connect your pit to the river and wait for fish to get swept in (which is probably your best bet), you're going to need a drain, because it'll take a long time to accumulate many fish.  Use a grate (with a drain floodgate behind it) so that you can drain extra water from the pit without the fish getting out.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: Footkerchief ]

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Footkerchief:
<STRONG>If you connect your pit to the river and wait for fish to get swept in (which is probably your best bet), you're going to need a drain, because it'll take a long time to accumulate many fish.  Use a grate (with a drain floodgate behind it) so that you can drain extra water from the pit without the fish getting out.

[ March 22, 2008: Message edited by: Footkerchief ]</STRONG>

It would be a bit cleaner to set up a screw pump chain to pull water from the pit and dump it back into the river. That way you maintain the flow of the river. Just wall off the pumps with grates so the fish can't get through.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 12:53:00 am »

You could maybe cheat, and give the carp the [CURIOUS_GUZZLER] token and then put a booze stockpile in your would be pond and flood it. The carp will then go and drink your underwater booze.