Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Building a MUD - Anime Western Fantasy  (Read 5444 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a MUD - Anime Western Fantasy
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:28:09 am »

Current Survey: Races and "Classes"

Introduction
I've been discussing on 8chan about making a MUD. A MUD is, essentially, a text-based MMORPG (more along the lines of Zork than DF). I'm looking for some input from B12G and see if there's any interest here as well.

Surveys & Decisions
So far, I have done two surveys regarding this. One was to find out information and compare interests between long-standing MUD players and newer (or not at all) MUD players and the other was to narrow down a setting.

Survey One Results
Spoiler: Poll Results (click to show/hide)

Current Information
Spoiler: The Arts of Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Art of Cooking (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 05:28:13 pm by Rex Invictus »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: Building a MUD - Anime Western Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 01:41:13 am »

PTW on this!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:30:03 am »

PTW m8

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:20:50 pm »

PTW.

Also, are you thinking your MUD will be more roleplay-oriented (like Armageddon, for example), or more of a grindy text-based mmo (like Aardwolf, or really most MUDS)? I personally prefer a mix of the two.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:30:54 pm »

PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 05:27:56 pm »

Spoiler: The Art of Cooking (click to show/hide)

PTW.

Also, are you thinking your MUD will be more roleplay-oriented (like Armageddon, for example), or more of a grindy text-based mmo (like Aardwolf, or really most MUDS)? I personally prefer a mix of the two.

Hopefully a mix. Roleplay enforced, not roleplay intensive so to speak.

If I wanted pure online roleplaying, I host a forum for that and there's virtual tabletops otherwise. Armageddon never really caught me due to a lack of things to do when other players weren't around and I wasn't exactly on at peak times. This might've changed due to the fact they've cut down their focus, but I don't really know.
If I wanted pure gameplay, I'd go play an MMO. Aardwolf just made me feel like I might as well be playing Kingdoms of Amalur or something.

PTW

PTW m8
PTW on this!

Cheers, guys. Feel free to drop any ideas here.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 12:15:28 am »

I like the idea of randomly-generated beasts. Hell, I'd say randomly generated anything adds a degree of realism to games.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 08:46:59 am »

A couple of words on design philosophy. One of the primary goals going into this is to do something so that every player considers himself "heroic". Even the humble chef (a joke in most MMOs) should be feeling like he's having an epic battle against some meat to provide a food to buff an adventuring group. It's high fantasy, so every character should be doing something they consider worthwhile.

I don't want to overly introduce complexity, especially in the programming. Most of the stuff that I've gone through so far is pretty simple (demonology is by far one of the most difficulty concepts, but I've got several ideas on how to work that). The main thing I'm worried about is the timing in combat, but I'm going to look through some old codebases and see if I can't work things out.

I like the idea of randomly-generated beasts. Hell, I'd say randomly generated anything adds a degree of realism to games.

I'm not really aiming for realism. :p

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:17:33 pm »

This seems really cool. But I am a little confused on what we can do to help if we don't know about programming? Are you looking or ideas or what exactly?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 02:24:43 pm »

This seems really cool. But I am a little confused on what we can do to help if we don't know about programming? Are you looking or ideas or what exactly?

Ideas, feedback etc. I don't particularly trust other programmers on stuff I know how to do anyway. :p

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 02:39:05 pm »

I would love to provide any sort of ideas, story plots, or anything. MUDs are incredibly cool.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 02:42:39 am »

Spoiler: Current Poll Results (click to show/hide)

Once this survey hits 50 responses, I'm gonna close it and get on with world building so get in now if you want a say.

I would love to provide any sort of ideas, story plots, or anything. MUDs are incredibly cool.

I feel as though MUDs, like MMOs, lose out on the possible potential they might have and it's a huge shame.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 04:21:11 am »

I think randomly-generated beasts should be reserved for bosses or really powerful monsters. Weaker and more prevalent mooks should be set or premade.

Couple of ideas:

-Player-made quests! If some chef needs high-end magic monster meat, he'll put it up on a job board, and the first person to contact him to say they've got the meat gets the reward! (Will almost definitely need balance though)

-Player-houses! I think this is almost a given, but certainly not necessary for launch. Maybe later updates? Player houses just give a feeling of accomplishment and bragging rights, and even heroism. Walking down a hallway decorated with the bones of all the evil dragons you've killed is very heroic to me.

-Be the villain! There was this one manga where a gamer was trapped in the game world, and deciding that real-life sucked for him, tried to take over the new world. He also looked like a gigantic skeleton mage, which I thought was cool. Perhaps the ability to raid towns, kidnap princesses, etc. and make their own evil lair instead of a player house.

-Customization! This can be as simple as letting players write their character's description, which I think works best for MUDs.

That's all I can think about for now.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 10:19:21 am »

Suggestion: Mutations. For me that's always a really cool aspect for a game. A real risk reward endeavor. There can be multiple ways to do it including potions and magic meat/food.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 12:34:49 pm »

I think randomly-generated beasts should be reserved for bosses or really powerful monsters. Weaker and more prevalent mooks should be set or premade.

Completely agree. My concept was to spawn monsters Diablo-style (ie in zones populated by wolves, every 100 respawns a greater wolf with randomly determined attributes spawns).

-Player-made quests! If some chef needs high-end magic monster meat, he'll put it up on a job board, and the first person to contact him to say they've got the meat gets the reward! (Will almost definitely need balance though)

One of the primary reasons behind the Adventurers' Guild will be to facilitate stuff like this. Player buying the meat will have to put down a down payment and I'll like make it qualified by freshness (so not storing ten billion types of meat to give them up).

-Player-houses! I think this is almost a given, but certainly not necessary for launch. Maybe later updates? Player houses just give a feeling of accomplishment and bragging rights, and even heroism. Walking down a hallway decorated with the bones of all the evil dragons you've killed is very heroic to me.

Player houses is one of the things I wanted to do, but people don't seem all that interested in it. Definitely on the back burner.

-Be the villain! There was this one manga where a gamer was trapped in the game world, and deciding that real-life sucked for him, tried to take over the new world. He also looked like a gigantic skeleton mage, which I thought was cool. Perhaps the ability to raid towns, kidnap princesses, etc. and make their own evil lair instead of a player house.

Pretty much what demonology is. Seriously considering allowing players to found their own dungeons, though.

-Customization! This can be as simple as letting players write their character's description, which I think works best for MUDs.

Definitely doing this and likely allowing players to customise their equipment. One of the things I've seen most MUDs do is have "fashion festivals" where players can take their gear to be customised.

Suggestion: Mutations. For me that's always a really cool aspect for a game. A real risk reward endeavor. There can be multiple ways to do it including potions and magic meat/food.

I'd rather not turn this into Corruption of Champions, thank you. ;)
Pages: [1] 2