Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quantum Plumbing  (Read 7108 times)

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum Plumbing
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 04:26:50 am »

I agree that quantum pipes would seriously undermine the engineering fun. That doesn't mean changes can't be made.
For instance, using pipe sections in a similar way to axles would allow for more compact systems while retaining most of the complexity. Or maybe carving waterways, like minecart tracks ?
I dunno... Just thinking aloud, mainly ^^

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 02:38:08 pm »

I like the idea because it could help, in the long run, with lowering FPS.  +1

The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 03:07:29 pm »

I agree that quantum pipes would seriously undermine the engineering fun. That doesn't mean changes can't be made.
For instance, using pipe sections in a similar way to axles would allow for more compact systems while retaining most of the complexity. Or maybe carving waterways, like minecart tracks ?

Pipe sections built like axles + Building-destroying FB sneaking into your magma pump access shaft = !!FUN!!
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:10 pm »

I like the idea because it could help, in the long run, with lowering FPS.  +1
Wait, lowering? Truly you are the most EVIL creature in DF.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 06:18:23 am »

Pipe sections built like axles + Building-destroying FB sneaking into your magma pump access shaft = !!FUN!!
And more ‼FUN‼ is obviously better, right ? :)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 07:20:18 am »

That kind of Fun would also be Fun for the FB, probably. 

How would an axel-pipe work differently from a mine shaft full of magma?  Less temp changes?  Less pressure required to move?  Lever interaction? 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 08:02:48 am »

The main difference is that pipes can be made passable (axles are, IIRC ?), enabling the passage of fluids through inhabited areas with significantly reduced risk of flooding (also I quite like the idea of lower pressure, that would allow sprinkling water over a controlled area (i.e. farm area) instead of the current "flush everything out of the room and then let it dry" method).
Maybe they could be hooked up to the input of a screw pump to pump from further away ?

As before, I'm just throwing ideas out there. If they stick, cool, if not, feel free to shoot them down ;)

And I concur, they would work remarkably well as a Building Destroyer Trap ("C'mon, destroy this innocuous pipe full of magma... You know you want to...")
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:05:54 am by karhell »

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 05:23:35 pm »

I deem axle pipes acceptable if they are treated like tracks and run under the floor.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 03:04:56 pm »

That kind of Fun would also be Fun for the FB, probably. 

How would an axel-pipe work differently from a mine shaft full of magma?  Less temp changes?  Less pressure required to move?  Lever interaction?

Lack of temperature updates would certainly be a good benefit. Another would be only needing, say, 1 unit of fluid per square to fill the pipe, rather than 7 per square for a magma tunnel. Also, pipes would have a lot less fluid calculations.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 02:45:58 pm »

And I concur, they would work remarkably well as a Building Destroyer Trap ("C'mon, destroy this innocuous pipe full of magma... You know you want to...")

A pipe has been destroyed! A pipe has collapsed for a lack of support! A segment of the cavern has collapsed! Urist McCheesemaker has died in the heat! Urist McMayor has died in the heat! A diplomat has left unhappy! Urist McLiason, Outpost Liason has died in the heat! The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 06:56:05 pm »

I would also definitely try to pump magma through a wooden pipe section to see what happens.  (Hopefully burst into flame and ignite the entire pipe network) 

Did we reach a consensus about how pressure works for pipe systems?  If the main point is still to avoid fluid dynamics FPS burn, maybe the pipes could require a certain amount of power to go a certain distance.  For example, if you've got 50 power, water can flow through 50 squares of pipe.  If a spigot is less than 50 squares away from the power source, water will flow out of it.  If not, the tap is dry. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 09:02:11 am »

Gravity-pressured as normal unless a screw pump is attached to one end of the axle-pipe, in which case the pump's power requirement could be tied to how many Z levels the pipe network ascends. Combine with water wheels and we have hydraulic power transmission, which would be powerful as hell if we kept to quantum instead of axle pipes.

Perhaps we could mix the two with axle pipes having higher flow rates than quantum trickles? I don't want every dwarven bathtub requiring its own water main and the muse for this whole post was my desire to have magma spigots at the gatehouse without mutilating the stonework.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 02:26:33 pm »

I would like the idea if it's required to tie together both pipe end's with pipe sections, which could be made out of blazed earth-ware in the kiln or metal or wood or whatever, and be embedded in the floors, ceilings and walls, kind of like tracks or engravings, or could be suspended mid-air if it has to.

The same would be for mechanisms, requiring axles, cogs, wires or whatever to connect both sides of it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 [2]