Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military uniform challenge.  (Read 1529 times)

Ariachus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military uniform challenge.
« on: June 23, 2015, 08:49:19 pm »

To my knowledge there is no copy and paste file for DF that you can move between saves in order to import military uniforms. Therefore I am issuing a challenge to the many experienced modders of Dwarf Fortress. Make a script or plugin for DFhack that allows for a person to export their uniforms and then import them into a save game. Honestly the uniform assignment is one of the most difficult aspects of the game for me specifically and I always want make themed squads, like the Night Watchmen from Game of Thrones or similar type things but I don't' because having to redo it every time is an incredibly daunting task. This would also allow a more gentle learning curve for newbies becuase they could download a file with a could of tried and true squad setups so they don't deal with ammo mixup errors because Urist McDrunkenMarksman forgot he needed a quiver or tried to take down an elephant with wood arrows. I just really feel like this is something that hasn't been done but really should be. Thank you for your time may Armok Bless your Fortresses with Elf Blood Rains.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military uniform challenge.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:20:02 pm »

Would a human-readable format be preferable? There's a JSON parser in the development version of DFHack that could be used, or protobuf could be used instead (which produces more of a binary format, like the one used in the stockpiles plugin).
I'm not very familiar with the uniform structures, but I can take a look.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Military uniform challenge.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:15:54 pm »

I would recommend a human-readable or JSON approach, like embark profiles.  The index for INORGANIC:IRON or ITEM_HELM_CAP might be different depending on whether the player is using any mods, put storing things as tokens makes things reasonably portable.  A binary format could use tokens, too, but it couldn't be edited/tweaked to account for simple changes.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map