Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)  (Read 8395 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Gods of the Floating Islands (5/7)
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:26:42 pm »

Gods of the Islands

In the beginning of the OP the narrator great god Noj created the world. He and the other major gods watched it grow, tended to it, and loved it.

Then he smashed it into a million pieces.

Noj, the dual natured god of creation and destruction, lovingly referred to as the lord of strife by some, destroyed the world in one single blow. Yet in that action, a million smaller worlds were created. Noj, seeing the many smaller worlds, made many gods to govern those who survived the cataclysm. Occasionally islands float close enough for mortals travel between them, but for the most part, the survivors of the first world are now prisoners of the second. This is where you, a freshly created island demigod, will rise to greatness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are one of the first island demigods. Your islands floats in seemingly infinite space with many objects floating throughout the Island Chain. Islands only get close enough to get from one to another occasionally, and collide even less rarely. People have survived this cataclysm. It is up to you to guide them.

A little blurb: I've been running a God game for a few days, and I really enjoy it. I enjoy it so much that I'm here making a second one to incorporate some ideas that just wouldn't fit into the first one. I'm new to forum games, but not to RP games. Hopefully we'll enjoy this game. It has several of the aspects from other games I've seen around the forums and on some other RP sites, some of the cosmology from my own work, and some other random things thrown in. I intend this game to be more based on good story telling than on use of godly powers

I want to make a mini-version of the god game that has less of me rolling dice and more story telling from the players. The game will have several aspects:

Your god of course is the first. You guide your tribe and provide magical blessings. Maybe a few miracles. Divinity (the currency of this game) comes from the head god Noj (Me) and is divided among players at the beginning of the turn.You're technically a lesser god, but this in no way makes you weak. Your god is does not generate Divinity like Noj or the major gods do, but you have the ability to use divinity to directly affect the mortal world, even appear in it to some degree.  Who gets how much divinity will be based off of the next two factors.

The Tribe. Your tribe is your main focus. You will shape it, guide it, and make sure it survives. This wont be easy and it wont be cheap either. But a flourishing tribe means increased divinity. In addition, pleasing a major god in some way will also earn you bonus points. Some players tribes will die. This however does not mean that you will lose the game, it means that you must regain divinity from the second factor.

The monster clash. This will be very similar to the popular monster mash on these forums (mine is actually based of a game within the novel Seventh Tower, but I digress). Players will randomly be given several monsters, or monster aspects, and will combine a certain number of those aspects/monsters into their competitor. Then the monsters will fight, based off the stats/pieces chose, I will roll for damage and effects and all sorts of things. The winner who comes out on top gets extra Divinity. Some fights will be 1v1 challenges from one player to another. Others will be more complex battles sponsored by Noj.
As a note here, there are also wild beasts and monsters. They'll terrorize your tribe.

At the start of the game, each player will:

Pick a region for their tribe.
Will design their tribe (must be fairly basic and cannot be more than slightly adapted for your region)
And they will design their god.

Some notes about tribes and islands:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sign-up Template:

Monster Clash Thread Link:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:57:26 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of the Islands (A Storytelling-Based God Game)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 10:24:53 pm »

List of major gods.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 04:17:55 pm by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of the Islands (A Storytelling-Based God Game)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 10:26:53 pm »

reserved

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

reserved

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Gods of the Islands (Another God Game)(Gauging interest/Sign-Up)
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 01:47:47 am »

Name: Rapustin
Sphere: Fire
Physical description: Six meter in height and muscculous arms, this black, bald man breathes fire and is glowing on some parts as if he was made of lava.
Personality: A wrathful god who is gentle to those who follow him, he always takes care of the needs of his own, while striking those who oppose him or his.  his personality is due to the metaphysical quality of fire, which warms those who keep it well and harms those who are mistreating or unattending it.

Description of region before cataclysm: This island is an oval floating in midspace. The centre of the island is a gigantic active volcano which keeps on pumping magma into the land. This is terrible for the inhabitants as their land is burned on a regular basis. The island is covered in a gigantic jungle and has two rivers and it has a very wet climate unless the volcano is in its spewing session. The rocks are black and hard, and the trees are humoungous and strong, and filled wit strange creatures haunting the night. Below the surface of the island is an intricate system of caves.
Reason why it sucks to live here: Active volcano of humoungous size
Another reason: Dangerous jungle wildlife

Race: Turtlemen
Description: As big as a human in size, but very slow, the turtlemen are coloured in brown and green skin spots. They have very apt brains that are keen to learn concepts quickly, and they have a long lifespan of 150-250 years. Their shell is very powerful and heat resistant (although not against direct fire or magma) and they have a complex face which can mimic quite spectacularly. They are herbivoric and love berries
Why they live in this awful place: Sent to appease the powerful volcano, this group of ritualists was close to fulfilling their duty when the worlds were shattered.
Tribe leader: Qurto the Wise
Your priest : Krato the Grand Ritualist
Culture: Herbivoric ritualist keen at natural medicine and powdermaking. Their culture is deeply connected to the land and to its spirits. They wish to respect the spirits as a strong bond with them grants insight and aid from the ones beyond.
Special aspects: Able to switch gender, all turtlemen start as men and can decide in their life to change to women.
Anything else you feel is important: Very easy to frighten them but they are quite the diplomats.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:38:13 am »

Name: Rapustin
Sphere: Fire
Physical description: Six meter in height and muscculous arms, this black, bald man breathes fire and is glowing on some parts as if he was made of lava.
Personality: A wrathful god who is gentle to those who follow him, he always takes care of the needs of his own, while striking those who oppose him or his.  his personality is due to the metaphysical quality of fire, which warms those who keep it well and harms those who are mistreating or unattending it.

Description of region before cataclysm: This island is an oval floating in midspace. The centre of the island is a gigantic active volcano which keeps on pumping magma into the land. This is terrible for the inhabitants as their land is burned on a regular basis. The island is covered in a gigantic jungle and has two rivers and it has a very wet climate unless the volcano is in its spewing session. The rocks are black and hard, and the trees are humoungous and strong, and filled wit strange creatures haunting the night. Below the surface of the island is an intricate system of caves.
Reason why it sucks to live here: Active volcano of humoungous size
Another reason: Dangerous jungle wildlife

Race: Turtlemen
Description: As big as a human in size, but very slow, the turtlemen are coloured in brown and green skin spots. They have very apt brains that are keen to learn concepts quickly, and they have a long lifespan of 150-250 years. Their shell is very powerful and heat resistant (although not against direct fire or magma) and they have a complex face which can mimic quite spectacularly. They are herbivoric and love berries
Why they live in this awful place: Sent to appease the powerful volcano, this group of ritualists was close to fulfilling their duty when the worlds were shattered.
Tribe leader: Qurto the Wise
Your priest : Krato the Grand Ritualist
Culture: Herbivoric ritualist keen at natural medicine and powdermaking. Their culture is deeply connected to the land and to its spirits. They wish to respect the spirits as a strong bond with them grants insight and aid from the ones beyond.
Special aspects: Able to switch gender, all turtlemen start as men and can decide in their life to change to women.
Anything else you feel is important: Very easy to frighten them but they are quite the diplomats.

I am quite happy with all of this.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:17 am »

I sorta wanna do a god of undeath, but the follower aging thing is an issue due to how undead don't exactly age.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:49:57 am »

They could rot or need to build new bodies occasionally. Something like that.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 09:58:22 am »

Or could always have the majority simply be mindless, with the ruling class being the much rarer sapient undead.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:16:12 am »

Do they still need to eat? Because If they eat something, I guess if they are mostly immortal you can balance that out with some being drones and it being very hard to make more. That way the growth rate stays pretty much on par with the other tribes.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:20:33 am »

Or could always have the majority simply be mindless, with the ruling class being the much rarer sapient undead.
That seems like it would just mean they are more organised to be honest.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 10:24:23 am »

That way the growth rate stays pretty much on par with the other tribes.

That's really my main concern.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 10:41:51 am »

Do they still need to eat? Because If they eat something, I guess if they are mostly immortal you can balance that out with some being drones and it being very hard to make more. That way the growth rate stays pretty much on par with the other tribes.
Undead would make more undead via killing the living. They don't grow or make more undead outside of that. Why would zombies or skeletons procreate~?

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 10:47:21 am »

it being very hard to make more.

I meant that there should be some sort of ritual to reanimate a new undead, that it shouldn't be like a zombie movie where a guy gets shot and he's instantly a zombie.

It should take about the same effort to make a new undead as a new human or other tribe.

EDIT: That way no tribe has any big inherent advantage.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 11:15:30 am »

It has a huge inherent disadvantage of "Cannot Breed"

I don't think you're quite getting how much of a disadvantage that is.

No population growth.

Ever.

They can't heal. They're dead.

Accidents might damage or cripple.

Unless they encounter living. In which case fresh undead are spawned from the newly dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10