Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Are any MMOs good or are they all still crap?  (Read 8675 times)

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are any MMOs good or are they all still crap?
« on: June 26, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »

Looking for an MMO for me and the girlfriend to play. It's been awhile, be gentle with me.

So, yeah, are there any good MMOs out / coming out or are they all still awful trash?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Are any MMOs good or are they all still crap?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:20:49 pm »

Eve Online is good. Just gets boring after a while.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:21:11 pm »

Depends, when you say 'all MMOs' do you actually mean F2P MMOs?

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:22:55 pm »

Eve Online is good. Just gets boring after a while.

Would love to play it, but there's no chance of convincing the girlfriend.

Depends, when you say 'all MMOs' do you actually mean F2P MMOs?

I mean all MMOs.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:24:07 pm »

You can play deathmatch PvP sandbox clone #200, or raid and die clone #5000.

In other words...no :P

SWG was a sandbox MMO, and it wasn't deathmatch PvP. Or raid and die.
Asheron's Call had a deathmatch server, but it was optional

No modern MMO is any good right now. Its all deathmatch PvP clones (makes for lazy easy to make MMO with little actual game content) or raid and die clones.

Only good one is Saga of Ryzom, but its kinda dead and barely updates. Its a sandbox with optional PvP and PvE focus. The only sandbox MMO currently out like that.

I pretty much gave up on MMOs, and having a lot of fun with multiplayer don't starve, Skyrim, Witcher 3 and others.

You could try ESO or GW2. Those two are probably your best options. Or maybe FF XIV...only three good ones that are "new".
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 06:39:49 pm »

If it doesn't have to be relatively new, and you don't have a problem with the somewhat grey area of server emulation, then you can pick almost any old MMO that you liked, dead or otherwise, do some digging, and turn up a handful of player/community-run servers and clients.
WoW is/was the most prolific of these, (last I checked anyway, but that's been awhile,) and Ultima Online before them. Both still exist.
Quality of these servers can be iffy, but most that have been around more than a year will have refined their server and likely have patched many of the bugs that were present in whatever version of the server they started with. As long as you have some technical skill, and are willing to accept that there will be bugs, then it shouldn't be an issue.
There are also numerous gameplay modifications that are typically available on these servers, as well as plain vanilla gameplay. For example, some I've played have had 10x exp/gold multipliers to reduce grind or give you a huge starter pack to get you to the late-game content, skipping grind altogether.

"[insert game name] private server" in your chosen search engine, and I would be surprised if you didn't get a few pages of relevant results.

Just an option to consider if there were ever any MMOs you liked, especially if there were any you both liked.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:41:47 pm »

GW2 is more....action based then most mmos; expect to learn to dodge boss attacks and abilities and stuff. Pretty grindy if you wanna get anywhere loot-wise, but I had a lot of fun doing WvW, or server vs server warfare. PvP is basically deathmatch plus holding points for well, points. Fun, but I prefer the chaos of mass warfare. The Stronghold pvp they're coming out with looks like a Moba, but on two lanes. Interesting.

The Repopulation is an up and coming MMO modeling something like Star Wars Galaxies, with full on faction v faction warfare, lots of skills to learn through usage, and the ability to learn anything in the game. Still in alpha stages, but looks very promising.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 06:52:31 pm »

GW2 is more....action based then most mmos; expect to learn to dodge boss attacks and abilities and stuff. Pretty grindy if you wanna get anywhere loot-wise, but I had a lot of fun doing WvW, or server vs server warfare. PvP is basically deathmatch plus holding points for well, points. Fun, but I prefer the chaos of mass warfare. The Stronghold pvp they're coming out with looks like a Moba, but on two lanes. Interesting.

The Repopulation is an up and coming MMO modeling something like Star Wars Galaxies, with full on faction v faction warfare, lots of skills to learn through usage, and the ability to learn anything in the game. Still in alpha stages, but looks very promising.

Oh yeah forgot about Repopulation. That is pretty much exactly like SWG.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:32:17 pm »

It's still in development, but from what I've seen Crowfall seems interesting. Its hook is that players can join a particular world with its own conflict, players battle it out over the course of a few weeks, and eventually one side wins and the campaign is over, on to a new world.

While it's not a MMO, Borderlands 2 is rather fun and designed around co-op (and quite frankly its levels kind of reminded me of WoW dungeons, at least in terms of their designs).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 07:41:24 pm »

As I understand it, the whole point of a modern f2p mmo is to make you obsessively waste all your free time on it, the idea being that once you're obsessed with it you'll consider throwing money at it to get the shiny things you want to be better or prettier, or to get them faster, etc.

So... I'd avoid those. One possibility might be a server (say, UO) where it's all role-playing and isn't a money/time sink. But do you really need an mmo?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:12:16 pm »

The only two very good MMOs I can think of are both F2P.

Phantasy Star Online 2 and Mabinogi

PSO2 is an action MMO, very skill based, but also build based. The game itself is very anime, and not massively serious outside of the story. You can dress a robot lady in a wedding dress and club a dragon to death with a giant fish if that's your thing.

Mabinogi is also very anime, and very old. The combat is very different from anything you've played before, but it has a very good storyline, and is barely P2W at all.

Each of these games should have their own B12 thread which goes into much greater depth than I ever could, regardless.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

LordPyrrole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 08:58:30 pm »

I still find Runescape fun if you are someone who wants to sink a lot of time into a game just to see it pay off in a long, long, time.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:16:10 pm »

Dungeon Fighter Online remains pretty darn great.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:59:23 pm »

Maybe you could narrow down what kind of games your girlfriend likes.

The ones I've played are Star Trek Online, Everquest, and Guild Wars. Star Trek Online is nicely casual with tons of story missions to do. It's not pay2win; anything worth having can be bought with in-game currency. Exploring is a strong point in Everquest but it might be too dated for your taste. Its sequel has a solid fanbase. Guild Wars is a lot like Everquest but a much smaller game IMO. I've heard it has a solid endgame.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4