Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Catacomb Kids - a Spelunkish roguelike-platformer (Kickstarter - funded)  (Read 3270 times)

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catacomb Kids - a Spelunkish roguelike-platformer (Kickstarter - funded)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 05:14:58 pm »

This looks awesome. It's sort of reminding me of how I hoped the pay version of Spelunky was going to end up

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 08:06:59 pm »

This looks awesome. It's sort of reminding me of how I hoped the pay version of Spelunky was going to end up
Yeah. Spelunky HD is still possibly my fav game of all time but this does really seem to have the potential to be even greater. We'll see. Hopefully sooner than later

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 06:11:03 am »

I actually prefer the free Spelunky to the paid one, even after buying it. For me, Spelunky HD ramps up difficulty beyond fun to just masochistic, and the new stuff clutters up what was almost perfect in the original. I still like HD, it's not like it's all of a sudden terrible, but I find myself playing the orignial much more often.

But this isn't the thread for that discussino anyways so whateverrr

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 07:40:56 pm »

Live! 

Small tangent -- I agree that for some reason, while I didn't notice a whole lot of major gameplay differences between free and HD spelunky, HD spelunky seems much harder.

It's got nothing on Catacomb Kids though.

It's out now, in early access alpha.  The first zone is available as well as two classes. 

It's...  Well, it's definitely not bad.  It's lacking on content right now, or I've been too busy dying to see everything there is.  You pick your class and one of five or six dudes, each with a small set of perks and downsides, ranging from starting with a magic weapon to being extra sneaky to tripping over rocks and skulls.  It's a lot like spelunky in that you fight monsters and use physics to avoid traps, but the systems are a lot more complex and thus a lot more dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.  I have gotten the heavy lifting skill several times and used it to pick up several boulders. Not once have I picked up a boulder and not ended up crushed beneath it within 30 seconds.  Combat is similarly brutal, it's dark and chaotic and if you lose track of your place or run into a closed door or otherwise slip up you're probably dead.

There's also dismemberment, though like in real life most injuries that can take off a limb don't give you much time to explore the new you.  I've never survived a dismembering injury.

Anybody gotten farther than I have?
Shoes...

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:48:30 pm »

I've gotten through the first zone a few times, but only in earlier betas. I don't know if it's something with my machine or what, but the last 2 or so versions have just run so slowly I lose interest almost immediately. It's not unplayable, but it's a lot less smooth than earlier builds. I'll take another look at the new stuff once I substantially clean up my computer/whenever a new version comes out.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 11:22:05 pm »

This game shows so much promise already. I'm really hoping it pulls through early access and does eventually reach completion.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out

Hey, anyone played Vagante?
It looks very, very similiar & I'm torn about whether to pick up that or CK.
Just learned about both from onefjeff over on youtube.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Aren't they both still pretty incomplete? It might be better to wait for development to, well, develop more, before choosing. Beyond that, it looks like there's quite a lot of gameplay videos putzing around youtube for both of 'em, for more comparison.

E: Though looking at some videos for vagante, it does look like, while they look fairly similar, they play very differently. V's considerably slower and more deliberate, to all appearances.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:37:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I am not into these games usually....but boy..this looks epic:D

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I check on this every now and then, did so today - and initially freaked out because the devblog has disappeared (and the main page & twitter have been in stasis for some time now). But saw that there`s a new download on Humble - the 0014 build. Neat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]