Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Are any MMOs good or are they all still crap?  (Read 8755 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Are any MMOs good or are they all still crap?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 11:30:02 pm »

some of the small persistent worlds for Neverwinter Nights are still rocking it. Hit me up if you want a recommendation, some of the best multiplayer RPG experiences possible happen there.
I got nothing

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 11:56:30 pm »

the whole point of a modern f2p mmo is to make you obsessively waste all your free time on it...So... I'd avoid those.

What's wrong with designing a game so that players will want to obsess over it and spend all their time playing it? Sounds like the ideal game to me.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 12:45:25 am »

That kind of game would be great if players didn't spend all that time playing 'getting to the fun part'.

From a business perspective it's good though, as long as the people are paying money.

Mailo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 01:14:56 am »

The Repopulation is an up and coming MMO modeling something like Star Wars Galaxies, with full on faction v faction warfare, lots of skills to learn through usage, and the ability to learn anything in the game. Still in alpha stages, but looks very promising.

Oh yeah forgot about Repopulation. That is pretty much exactly like SWG.
As an SWG vet I was really looking forward to The Repopulation, unfortunately it is rather unlike SWG in the parts where it matters most to me, namely the resource system, crafting and PVP.
As far as I know, resources come in different quality levels from resource nodes. SWG had resources with multiple quality values ranging from 1-1000, all of which mattered (at least to someone). Also, they could be found anywhere, not just nodes.
The crafting system seems to be way over the top regarding sub components of sub components for sub components that make up ... a sub component. I haven't found anything about being similar to the experimentation system of SWG, which could tailor the weapons in my case to the customer.
Finally, The Repopulation PvP system is totally unlike SWGs and much closer to EVE Online, with 2/3 of the world being free for all nonconsensual PVP.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 01:35:25 am »

I tried to play WoW once, almost a decade ago. I was like 11 years old and there was so much hype about it on the internet I pretty much begged my parents to buy it for me for my birthday. I rolled a hunter and played until level 12 or 13 and then just quit. Hated every moment of it.

I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that MMOs just "aren't for me". I absolutely love the concept -- immersive, multiplayer worlds -- but they always seem to boil down to grind, grind, grind, and I've yet to really find an exception -- and I've tried a lot of them.

I've tried:

Spoiler: Free to play (click to show/hide)

I don't think there's much left to be improved upon on the "traditional" MMO front, but I hope we see a boom in open PVP/survival-style sandbox MMOs. The big problem games like Rust have is that there's no incentive for the players to actually band together as part of a larger whole and form a "civilized" society. There's no end-game; it's all about amassing better equipment, building a better base, then going out and killing other people. Haven&Hearth and Salem suffered from the same kinds of problems, and I kind of view H&H as the "proto" survival game.

If you're interested in traditional MMOs, from what I hear, World of Warcraft is still the best. I don't think modern MMOs have evolved much past the level WoW was at a decade ago.

Meanwhile, I'm cautiously optimistic for the few massively-multiplayer games that seem like they're actually doing something interesting. I really hope Star Citizen pans out because it sounds like the kind of game that could really shake things up.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 02:03:33 am »

Maybe you could narrow down what kind of games your girlfriend likes.

The ones I've played are Star Trek Online, Everquest, and Guild Wars. Star Trek Online is nicely casual with tons of story missions to do. It's not pay2win; anything worth having can be bought with in-game currency. Exploring is a strong point in Everquest but it might be too dated for your taste. Its sequel has a solid fanbase. Guild Wars is a lot like Everquest but a much smaller game IMO. I've heard it has a solid endgame.

Star Trek Online also has player-created "Foundry" missions, many of which are even better than the official storyline (although there's plenty of typos :P)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 02:46:01 am »

I remember Auto Assault. Oh god do I remember Auto Assault. Loved the writing and the atmosphere, and combat was a little different. Used to just drive around the world a lot. Oh yeah, and I was lucky to get 20 FPS with that game on my computer, and it was buggy at the best of times. I loved that game but in retrospect it was doomed to failure: Netdevil delayed the release, took forever with any kind of expansion or update. Nowadays it would be an abandoned Early Access. You may recall netdevil was sued into oblivion for not making their next game in time for a contract deadline... (Well, next game aside from Lego Universe, which was also shut down for some reason or another)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 06:47:47 am »

@Malus, you might try Elder Scrolls Online. The quests have much more involved stories compared to those other MMO's, and the dungeons require a lot of movement and reaction.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 08:40:20 am »

Eve pretty much has a monopoly on the 'good MMO' subgenre.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 12:09:48 pm »

Eve pretty much has a monopoly on the 'good MMO' subgenre.
Yeah... EvE and WoW are basically the only two remaining 'good' (Wow never caught on for me...) subscription based MMO's. EvE is as complex as you want it to be. I know people who use it as nothing but a way to relax at the end of the day, as basically a interactive wallpaper. And I know people that go extremely hard and sink their entire life into it. And both playstyles are equally valid. Probably the best thing about EvE is you don't even have to be online to 'level up' as everyone's 'XP bars' tick all the time, no matter if you're off or online, at the same rate*. It takes about two months I'd say for it to really bite you. Depends on who you play with really. EvE is also the last 'social' MMO in that respect. You NEED people you can trust and depend on to do high level stuff. Things like controlling space, living off the grid, can't be done as solo activities*. And you can't just queue with random mouth breathers to do that. Because of EvE's ruthlessness and difficulty, you need people who will watch your back, not stab you in the back for shits and giggles.

And the world... EvE is played entirely on one server, with no instancing. There are dungeons, in a sense. But players can scan you down, enter those dungeons, and blow you up, with varying penalties depending on what area of space you are in. Also, the entire world is run by players. For example, recently some players recovered the deceased remains of someone who discovered a new threat, but got killed. He managed to broadcast the threat before he died. The players were approached by the in game security force for the remains. They refused to hand them over. So, they will now be engaged by the police force of the game, and have had a bounty put upon them equal to 750 U.S. Dollars. The in game security and such is run by the devs, so instead of forcing them to hand it over, they are allowing this to play out and may take action against their in game guilds. You can read the full story here. EvE's tagline, "In EvE, the story is not real, until players become a part of it." is completely true. Actions you take have ramifications everywhere. It's not like WoW, where you can slay the boss that wants to destroy the world once, and then he's back, threatening the same exact shit, as if nothing happens. For a smaller example, yesterday, one of my ships got blown up. That ship, and all of the stuff on it, was built by players. It's also gone forever, and everything in red in that message. I don't get it magically regenerated. If I want to fly it again, I have to go out and buy a new one, also built by players. No other MMO is like that. EvE is not a theme park you can stroll your way through. As cliche as it sounds, EvE is real.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »

Planetside2 is pretty good. Hey, you said MMO, not MMORPG :P
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordPyrrole

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 03:55:50 pm »

That kind of game would be great if players didn't spend all that time playing 'getting to the fun part'.

From a business perspective it's good though, as long as the people are paying money.

This makes me realize that I probably shouldn't play Runescape, but I swear to you there is a fun part there somewhere, I just have to get to it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 04:07:38 pm »

You can try Wakfu for something currently unique among MMOs (turn based Final Fantasy Tactics-eske combat, an ecosystem you can actualy interact with in non destructive ways, tons of classes with nice variation in gameplay between them, mostly, etc), altough if you aren't playing it with a friend or more people, it'll get kinda bleh later due to grinding, and the professions aren't to exciting either (gathering professions and crafting professions, old style spend an hour gathering this, craft it into other stuff for profession levels, etc), but it can be pretty fun if you have some people with you to goof around while playing and come up with combat strategies with.
Dungeon crawls/instances go from "series of sucessive group fights" to "what the fuck do I have to do" combinations of puzzles and combat.

Like people said, GW2 is decent since it doesnt require you to play TONS of hours of it per day to level (at least it didn't when I played) and its very action packed with a strong focus on pvp (due to the way world versus world conflicts work, you can technically start pvp-ing from level 1, and actualy level off it).

There's also Tree of Savior, which is a far more actiony Ragnarok Online sequel-ish MMO with tons of classes. Its not released yet, though.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:10:55 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 05:24:32 pm »

Yeah, Planetside2 is good. Of you like first person shooters. With tanks and aircraft.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 05:31:39 pm »

Yeah, Planetside2 is good. Of you like first person shooters. With tanks and aircraft.

And bugs that are still in the game since launch and absolutely no endgame other than farming up your stats.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4