Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Are any MMOs good or are they all still crap?  (Read 8673 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are any MMOs good or are they all still crap?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 05:39:47 pm »

It's an FPS, it doesn't need an endgame. CS doesn't have it either, and it's doing just fine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2015, 05:41:50 pm »

And bugs that are still in the game since launch and absolutely no endgame other than farming up your stats.
Uh... Is there any MP FPS that *has* an endgame other than that? (other than co-op games which are more like SP than MP for FPS)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 06:02:27 pm »

Well, in the subject of MMOs that aren't MMORPGs, there's eternal crusade, which looks pretty good :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 06:18:43 pm »

I recommend Nostalrius, a vanilla wow server with 6k+ players at peak times.

I've been playing for the past week and having a great time.

(For those of you who are concerned about the quality of private servers, I've not encountered a single bug & had little to no lag)

How to set up Nostalrius
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:23:44 pm by Azkul »
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 06:33:31 pm »

a vanilla wow server

I gave blizzard $60 for a shitty game with no quest variety and no fun past level 30 or so, and would have regretted it the next month if I hadn't learned valuable lessons from it. Okay, I still regretted it a bit.

But I CAN SEE SKINNER BOXES now, so there's that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

jseph1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 03:18:26 pm »

Looking for an MMO for me and the girlfriend to play. It's been awhile, be gentle with me.

So, yeah, are there any good MMOs out / coming out or are they all still awful trash?
I play the greatest MMO there is and that The Secret World.  Incredibly detailed world and full of surprises.  If you don't want the same old junk MMO that are out there, you can't go wrong with it (and I have tried Guild Wars 2, Neverwinter, DDO, WoW, Everquest and too many other to name)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2016, 04:05:41 pm »

I actually like Black Desert Online really well. I love the combat, community is mostly good (on Orwen anyway) and there is a lot to do. The character customization is epic too. It is a pvp focused endgame though.

I tried GW2 and thought it was terrible. The necromancer class is stupid, with terrible terrible pet AI. GW1 had a vastly better necromancer, but guess that was nerfed after I stopped playing. I also greatly despise NCsoft, they are greedier and more evil than EA as far as MMOs go. They don't even have proper support, its literally a company somewhere in india or something that has nothing to do with NCsoft at all. And they are the worst support I've ever seen in an MMO. EA support for SWTOR was literally 100% better than that craptastic support. And I will never support an MMO with terrible support.

WoW I find still a lot of fun, I was playing that till BDO, but BDO finally got me to move on from WoW lol. But support is amazing, TONS to do in WoW...soooooo much content. I've played my one character for 2 and a half years now and still haven't 100% achievement everything lol. Granted I didn't play it hardcore, but still. WoW has by far most content and stuff to do of any MMO, and I find it still (like I said) fun.

Outside of BDO and WoW, that is pretty much only MMOs I've liked really well. I sorta liked secret world, EVE is okay.

Mostly tbh I play other games, like Terraria, EU4 and I got into Fallout 4 (didn't like it at first, but now I do).
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 04:57:26 pm »

I recommend Nostalrius, a vanilla wow server with 6k+ players at peak times.

I've been playing for the past week and having a great time.

(For those of you who are concerned about the quality of private servers, I've not encountered a single bug & had little to no lag)

How to set up Nostalrius

I've been playing nost a bit too the past couple of weeks and while it's one of the better private servers, I've personally encountered several bugs(bags not opening until you relog after equiping them, pet names becoming 'unknown' for who knows what reason, and jumping while swimming causes a jump instead of swimming but I'm pretty sure that's a core problem).  And lag is definitely a problem on the pvp server which can hit upward toward 15k players at peak hours, which the game's architecture definitely wasn't set up for.  The PvE server has less lag issues though, and Nost is one of the top 3 private servers.

It's not out yet and in closed beta but this is what I've been keeping an eye on when it comes to new and upcoming MMOs: https://albiononline.com/en/home .  Seems to want to be an Ultima Online for the modern age.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 02:24:05 am »

Out of all MMOs I've played that's f2p, only PSO2's model made absolute sense to me. A normal player can achieve endgame 'pro' status without even spending a single yen on the game. In JP (the other servers of TW, TH and SEA are shit, due to broken economy and bad SEGA decisions), all of the paywall stuff is either an upgrade booster that has a high chance of failing to transfer to your weapon, or clothes.

Trade is restricted for non-subscription "premium" players, who can avail of that service for a month or two and continue playing without.

But even then, you can play without premium because while premium grants additional shop sale hours, you can obtain shop vending hours through trading a particular collectible that's pretty common now should you just grind for a bit.

Premium grants additional storage space, but said spaces remain accessible even if premium expires. Personal (character inventory) storage space is permanent, but is a separate purchase than premium, and while inventory can be restrictive, an expanded storage due to an update means you can simply stow away items you don't need until youre ready to process them.

And those clothes mentioned? If you're playing in JP, all of them are dirt cheap, so you can accessorize quickly. Those clothes are for appearances only (in SEA and other servers, this is NOT TRUE, as they give stats. Tch SEGA).

Gameplay is not point and click; it kinda operates on TPS action mechanics, so it is actually pretty fun for the most part.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 03:13:24 am »

The only "traditional" MMO I've played that was above "meh" level was Lord Of The Rings Online, but its basically dead now. Shame - it was fucking fantastic.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
  • It'd be nice if I'd stop getting distracted.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 03:26:53 am »

As of late I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV;  it's quite a good game, although you need reshade to make it look good, or else it's a bit of a blurry mess.   At least in comparison.
Insert Witty Signature Here.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 03:53:28 am »

It is possible to make a totally different kind of MMO. Glitch was one. There was some grind, but it was themed around cooperation, building/crafting/collecting/sharing, and exploration. Trippy graphics, quirky mechanics. There were a lot of parties and the devs were always adding things to make parties more fun and interesting. I was working towards building a second floor on my house and finding some of the secrets in the newer areas. I loved that game, as did pretty much everyone who played it - until they shut it down with almost no warning. They literally went from adding new areas and mechanics to "the game will be shut down forever in one week" overnight. Some fans are working on a clone of it, but it's been painfully slow going, no idea if it'll ever happen. If anyone knows of anything even remotely similar, I'd get back into MMOs in a heartbeat. Only one I've ever encountered that was fun to play endlessly, but WASN'T a skinner box.

cider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 12:27:53 pm »

I enjoy the writing in The Secret World and the gameplay in Black Desert Online. Other than that, I can't really say I've enjoyed MMO's too much. I'm still wishing for a proper MMO that deviates from the WoW formula and says "fuck you" to the gameplay mechanics that has become a staple in MMO's. Less focus on grind and builds, more focus on player movement and reaction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2016, 12:35:12 pm »

What is funny is I actually LIKED Neverwinter

Probably one of the best MMORPG experiences I ever had, no joke.

But I still ended up leaving because it was also the naggiest game I ever played (That and it was released clearly unfinished). It constantly tries to draw money away from you and harasses you with things you have to pay for non-stop.

It kind of shows that even a good game (Note: Feel free to say Neverwinter sucks... But hypothetically lets assume it is good) can be bogged down by Free-to-play mechanics.

---

HECK Blade and Soul is mediocre but is nearly unplayable due to its money grubbing grindfest mechanics.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2016, 01:50:27 pm »

I enjoy the writing in The Secret World and the gameplay in Black Desert Online. Other than that, I can't really say I've enjoyed MMO's too much. I'm still wishing for a proper MMO that deviates from the WoW formula and says "fuck you" to the gameplay mechanics that has become a staple in MMO's. Less focus on grind and builds, more focus on player movement and reaction.

It's called Eve.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4