Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark profile editor  (Read 2275 times)

Xorxand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Embark profile editor
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:09 am »

I have looked for ages for a 3rd party application that is able to make setting up your embark a lot cleaner and easier to change as required. In game is clunky AF. As i like the very early game and set up, i want to be able to make small changes prior to a restart. I'm not looking to "simply turn off food and water" as I enjoy that part of the game. There is a tool for almost everything else DF related maybe i'm not looking in the right place.

First thought is to finally give in and write one myself. If someone has an editor or knows of one that already includes all skills, items, and is easily customisable, let me know.

If a great clean application cant be found, i'll be looking for suggestion what people would like included.

Thanks

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark profile editor
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:53:55 pm »

If it's just small changes you're looking at, wouldn't just saving a basic "template" profile of your liking be enough?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 03:27:28 pm »

My first thought was you meant something similar to the adv-max-skills script, but I see what you meant now.

I don't think there is one that does this, but I'll note that it should be possible to have a gui window pop up which draws from and writes to the df.viewscreen_setupdwarfgamest viewscreen entries here: https://github.com/DFHack/df-structures/blob/master/df.viewscreen.xml#L1499 and should let you off-load a lot of work to the native tables and such.

Xorxand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:16:02 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply's. What I am looking for is a nicer visual way to tweak and customise the embarking process.

Yes Scamtank that would be a good idea only I am looking to include all skills and items in a much better presented manner ie a 3rd party application.

Max I am not looking to interact through DFHack on a live basis but i see what your getting at. I'm looking for an external app that given a set number of starting points you use to pick and choose your early game and save the profile to use in game. The in-game preparation has always bugged me. it's clunky and tedious and isn't really broken down all that well in my opinion.

if there is nothing out there like this then I am happy to write one but there is no point re-inventing the wheel (unless its square). 

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:40:15 pm »

Well, that's part of what I mean, I myself was trying to figure out how to access the different dictionaries for naming things with the various languages when mifki pointed out how to use df.viewscreen_setupadventurest to pull up the in-game naming screen which I can then use to access all of them and apply them so they show up right with translations and such.

Similarly you could lay out a better gui that accesses the various entries and such so you can set them out and save them.

Uh, settings-manager.lua does something like you're talking about as well, for the init/d_init/colors screen. You could actually probably add in the embark_profiles entry and access it through there if you wanted.

Xorxand

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:56:47 am »

Max I'll check all this out over the coming days so keep an eye on this thread as I post more ramblings. I like the idea of the df.viewscreen stuff for full interact now that I have looked further at it just not sure if my abilities match my ambitions but we will see. This would all have to be at a much later dev stage. For now I think I'll just get cracking on a manual system to just make something work better for me and hopefully someone else.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:16:27 am »

Well, like I said, if you can get the hang of pulling stuff from the screens and get it to show up in your own gui framework then your work goes from figuring out how to list everything/make it accessible to figuring out how you want it to be presented and just let the tables and stuff that are there already do their thing. It's a very clever trick, when you get a chance look over how the settings-manager.lua works, lots of neat toys in there. You might also find useful methods in Putnam's stuff like gui/hack-wish (will be gui/create-item next version) as it does a similar sort of "pull up all the data and present it in a searchable gui" trick.