Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 3d Room Applications  (Read 5370 times)

Crowley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
3d Room Applications
« on: August 11, 2007, 07:08:00 am »

Well I scanned the forums and couldn't find a topic, so with 3d fortresses on the horizon, I thought I'd start one.

What designs do you have in mind now that theres a 3d dimension?

Personally, I've a couple;

Valley of Heroes - (sorry Egyptians) Tombs for the distinguished dwarves of my fort. Basically make a stairway down into the countryside that leads to a locked door. Beyond that locked door they're traps, statues, decked out armor stands and finally a sarcophagus down the winding passages. Everything masterfully detailed, the noble/legendary/war hero remembered.

Shooting Gallery - Should the forward defenses fail, and the gates not hold, have an elevated area on both sides overlooking the entrance hallway. Stationing a team of marksdwarves on both sides, have the walls facing the hallway detailed with arrow slits. Good luck shooting back.

The Great Forge - Instead of praying you can squeeze a forge into a wonky cattycorner position near your magma river, you can now channel it to your whims. Magmafalls spewing from arching aquaducts, forges are fueled below by dwarves that need to only decend stairs to be a storage room. Style and efficiency  :cool:

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Room Applications
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

I want to make a giant cube dungeon of 5x5 rooms,5 room across, 5 rooms wide, and 5 rooms high. Then I add traps, dead ends, bottomless pits, lava and water channels to release into the rooms etc..
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:21:00 am »

...And then add the nobles' quarters there!

otherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 10:43:00 am »

With 3d and rewalling in I believe my plan can be summed up in one word:
outdoor fortress (Well, at least in Swedish it's only one word).

capgamer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

I'd like to make my dwarves a "relaxation area." Even if they don't use it, I'd like to have a channel from the river heading underground to a pool. There would be pool side chairs, tables, a brewery and a kitchen.
f you kill a man''s daughter and throw her severed head at the man in a forest, and it breaks his lower body, does he give in to the pain?

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 11:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by otherdwarf:
<STRONG>With 3d and rewalling in I believe my plan can be summed up in one word:
outdoor fortress (Well, at least in Swedish it's only one word).</STRONG>

I guess you could call it a castle, that's one word.

Hmm, I would probably make a bunch of pits in the ground outside that are deep enough to trap those who fall in and cause them to starve to death. Useful for unwanted visitors, both armed and unarmed.  :) Speaking of pits, i would make a big vertical tunnel over a pit and maybe have any nobles that would happen to arrive have a room with a bridge in it, they would walk on the bridge, someone would pull the lever, theyd get tossed down the shaft, and end up falling right into the pit into hell, right where they belong.   :)

[ August 11, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

I'll carve skyscrapers out of the mountain and link them with bridges to create an Escher-style construction with stairs both outside and inside the towers.

I would also add a hanging garden (sort of) : the whole mountain above my gardens would be mined off and a river would cut the gardens in half and end with a waterfall flowing right in front of my main gate.

Though I'm fairly sure the river would only come in once flows are handled (which, as far as I understand, won't happen anytime soon).

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

I thought about rigging a draw bridge system that would fling enemy troops to a U shaped pool by lowering the bridge, blocking that part of the river with another, and see who will make it to the other side.

code:

.+++.***
.+++.***
.+++.***
-----
.~~~.

+=blocking bridge, .=dry land, -=wall with water running under, ~=water, *=flinging bridge

I'm pretty sure none of the dumb AI soldiers will ever make it and that I will never get the timing of the draw right, but who knows. Could be interesting.

[ August 14, 2007: Message edited by: Bluefire ]

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

I'm definately going to have a 'City of the Dead' below the fortress.  As it is, my nobles' rooms get awefully crowded with all those coffins...

I'd definately have a true fort setup, too, with towers and walls carved out of the mountain.  Something like a defensive fort outside of the underground fort.  Naturally, I'd have several forts like this that lead into my city, all connected by a quick-tunnel only accessable in emergancies (IE, hidden tunnels).  Each exterior fort would have some sort of water-fall moat around it, which would make soldiers happy as they continued their endless patrol duties.

Something like that.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

I'll take advantage of the rewalling to create burrows.  Dwarves who completely wall themselves in.  In Spheres.  Spheres completely surrounded by water and/or magma.  Most likely water so that way I don't have to worry about unwatered dwarves.  Yeah, multiple burrows.  Of 7 dwarves each.  Thinking about it, I might add a magma channel fed at the bottom.  For metal smithing.  But since I probably won't have enough space for more than 3 burrows.  The main fortress will be guarded by a magma waterfall.  If the dwarves accept you as guests, a bridge will come out and let you past the magma waterfall without burning yourself.  If not go ahead and march through that magma waterfall.

code:

-------SIDE RAISED-------
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     ~############
     ~= <-- drawbridge
     ~=###########
     ~
####===#############
  #~~~#

-------SIDE LOWERED------
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     ~############
     ~  <-- drawbridge extended
   ====###########

####===#############
  #~~~#

-------FRONT RAISED------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~#~~~~~#~~~~~~ <- opening hidden behind lava waterfall
######=====#######

-------FRONT LOWERED------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~=======~~~~~~
~~~~~#     #~~~~~~ <- bridge protecting opening
######=====#######

~ - Magma
= - Bridge
# - Wall/Ground

Of course concessions will have to be made to make sure lava doesn't make it into the fortress.

Edit: This doesn't do justice to the design I will implement.  It's too crude.

[ August 14, 2007: Message edited by: Jifodus ]

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

If / when the z axis is made, the first major project will be an immediate chasm at the opening of the fort, many tiles deep down, with a single bridge to close the gap between the outside world and the fort. Surrounding the bridge would be many tall pillars, and the bottom would be channelled and filled with lava from its side on the north or south flowing from beneath the fort to the magma flow. Then the bridge would be connected to a lever, and i would swiftly end all sieges with a pull of a lever, dropping my enemies into a pit of fiery doom.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 07:00:00 am »

Im planning on making the entrance to my fort a open dragons maw. Complete with magma fire breath and a steam blowing nostrils for smoke effects.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 08:07:00 am »

Also, I think that I'd give my siegers a chance to survive by putting obstacles all over the place, like old ruins.  A fortress rising out of the ruins of an abandoned, crumbling city, with a sprawling metropolis beneath, just seems really cool to me.  Even if I made the ruins...

It'd give my miners and engravers (And my masons, if they're needed for rewalling) something to do, at least.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 04:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Silveron:
<STRONG>Im planning on making the entrance to my fort a open dragons maw. Complete with magma fire breath and a steam blowing nostrils for smoke effects.</STRONG>

Sounds like your taking a recipe straight out of the Colonels book of inventions

[ August 16, 2007: Message edited by: ColonelTEE3 ]

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 04:59:00 am »

To the ruin around fortress idea.

Didn't toady mention that you can start in a town, not sured if he "fixed" that or not. If you can, why not do that, dig your self down, build your fort, build a army and return outside to kill everyone + destory the city. Automatic ruins.  ;)

Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?
Pages: [1] 2 3