Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 3d Room Applications  (Read 5372 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Room Applications
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 05:08:00 am »

Hi!

Inspired by my current construction site, my vision would be comparatively simple:

Create an big underground forest which is 2 stories high and has elevated paths and viewing platforms for recreation. (I assume LOS and such things work even between levels). Thus, it can be enjoyed safely even when it is being flooded.

I can't help but think of garden chairs and tea cups, though (^_^;;

Deathworks

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 05:22:00 am »

I'm definitely queuing up my plans for a 3D castle, perhaps based loosely on this design!: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-3-bodicetempests

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

Well, with the new 3d'ness coming up, i had the great idea of stripping away the whole cliff... (somehow) and then building a gigantic wall along the edges of the map. so i can have a ye'olde castle and what not. with barracks built into the walls, large gate houses, moats and ofcourse a hill with an inner castle where all the nobles live  :D

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by otherdwarf:
<STRONG>With 3d and rewalling in I believe my plan can be summed up in one word:
outdoor fortress (Well, at least in Swedish it's only one word).</STRONG>

You need stone mined from the mountain to rewall.

"They tore down one mountain and dumped it on another mountain?!"

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

Hmmm...  I've got a few ideas, but now I want to try making an iterative fortress.  Send everyone up to the top of the highest hill, dig into it, and set up shop on that level.  When the population gets bigger, set up the second level, make it bigger and better, and completely strip the first level.  Keep proceeding downwards.

When I say "strip", that could either mean 'remove all the valuable things and buildings, leaving doors and walls intact', or it could mean 'dig the whole level out, making the top of the fortress completely flat each time'.  They'd both be fun, but I am partial to the second option; more rock for walls and crafts, plus I can set up some awesome parade grounds on the roof.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

You need stone mined from the mountain to rewall.

"They tore down one mountain and dumped it on another mountain?!"</STRONG>

That's what quarries are for! Strip mine the mountain of stone so you can build another one!

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

I want to make a "top secret" underground base with various experiments and stuff.

It'll house a laboratory where I conduct all my strange experiments and keep them sealed off in case something hideously wrong happens like a burning elephant escapes.

And the outside will be some innocent looking buildings. The actual fortress entrance is going to be hidden in one of these buildings and very well guarded by top secret experimental traps and highly trained defenders.

I'll call it "Stronghold Fifty-Two"!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

3D Misting Room (side view):

code:

█████████████████
      █,~~~~~~~~~~~< ┼ <- maintenance
████████|███████████>███
█ ☺ ☺░░▒░▒░░☺ ☺     <9532> to fortress
███████~~~██████████>███
█████████≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈██
██████████≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈███
████████████████████████

The misting room is an ordinary dining room, except clustered around the central pool are the chairs where the dwarves sit.  While they enjoy their meals they are bathed in the refreshing mist.

On the right is a screw pump.  Water is pumped up to the top from the reservoir, where it flows along a channel on the upper level.  It then falls through the hole in the ceiling and lands on the pool in the floor, splashing mist around.  The pool in the floor drains into the next lower level and replenishes the reservoir.

At periodic intervals, dwarves are assigned orders to dump water directly into the maintenance corridor (which runs parallel to the upper channel) in order to replenish any water lost due to misting and evaporation.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 03:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>
"They tore down one mountain and dumped it on another mountain?!"</STRONG>

It's the Dwarven way, son. Don't question it.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 04:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
<STRONG>3D Misting Room (side view):

code:

█████████████████
      █,~~~~~~~~~~~< ┼ <- maintenance
████████|███████████>███
█ ☺ ☺░░▒░▒░░☺ ☺     <9532> to fortress
███████~~~██████████>███
█████████≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈██
██████████≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈███
████████████████████████

</STRONG>

JT, great design! More importantly: How did you draw the picture like that? (DF symbols, etc)

Thanks!

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

Maybe steal this design for my magma smelters.

I'm going to fulfill my vision of a huge sewer system and then add my usual gigantic crypt below it. Maybe I'll even hook up all my wells to the sewer too since disease isn't in yet.   :p

I'm going to be using lots and lots of sewer grills all along every corridor and every room that is going to have liquids in it. Such as farms, mills, noble chambers, butcher shops (that's going to be so overly awesome if blood is turned into a true liquid), etc. Would it work to have a small pipe constantly flooding the butcher shop room which drains into the sewer in order to wash down the blood? Maybe add a drop for useless refuse such as anything rotten and chunks of meat to get enough miasma down there. No traps at all so the ratmen will prosper.

[ October 25, 2007: Message edited by: Poil ]

[DEMONLORD]

SnowWhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

I'm envisioning a dining room on the main level with party halls upstairs with balconies overlooking the dining hall.
quot;...we literally tore a hole in the mountain, and slept in the mud for THREE YEARS while we waited for these tower caps to grow, and you come dancing in here, clutching your grass and berries like you''re Armok''s Sodding Gift To Dwarves, and tell us

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 05:53:00 am »

I really like the 'misting idea'... how bout using it as the centre axis of a spiral staircase in a tower condo?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Faces of Mu:
<STRONG>

JT, great design! More importantly: How did you draw the picture like that? (DF symbols, etc)</STRONG>

I just use a good Unicode reference and the Alt+ character combinations.  Copy-and-paste from codepage 437 also works.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2007, 01:43:00 am »

Holy-bigolie! *Kisses JT's feet*

Thanking-ye, thanking-ye!

Pages: 1 [2] 3