Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting things to breed  (Read 770 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Getting things to breed
« on: June 27, 2015, 04:19:14 pm »

I've redone the raws for this a few times now, but they seem to be sterile for reasons I'm not entirely sure of. Would anyone care to take a look and see where I've gone wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Getting things to breed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »

What do you mean by sterile? What have you tried. From what I can see it looks okay.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 05:06:32 pm »

Do you mean in worldgen or fortmode? If in worldgen, if they are placed as a civilization (and I am assuming this is a civilized creature) then they can breed. In fort mode, I think only animals and members of the civilization you control can breed, and the citizens need to marry to do so.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 05:16:32 pm »

During worldgen, they never expand beyond their initial site and none of the historical figures have children. I've tried them with a copy of the dwarf entity to make sure there's no problem there, so I assumed there was something going on wit their raws.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:14:25 pm »

I'm going to assume you genned multiple worlds and the results are pretty much the same. The creature raws really should pose no problems. Is the errorlog clean? How long do you let world generation go? Are they getting into many wars, and, if so, are they winning?

This is unrelated to your problem, but during fort and adventure mode they may come into conflict with their own undead (if the dead they raise get opposed_to_life, they'll be hostile to everything that hasn't got that token or no_aging).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 06:24:01 am »

Does the errorlog.txt show anything? I've had cases where the game stops processing an object altogether when it encounters an error, and only takes into account everything before the error. But that was for an item, I don't know if this applies to creatures.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »

I haven't gotten any error messages for them. I might try them in a world with the default parameters in case that's the problem somehow...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:47:54 am »

The MOUNTAIN entity might not be compatible with the territorial needs of an [EVIL] creature, but that still doesn't explain the lack of children.  Try pushing their ORIENTATION to full hetero just to make sure that's not causing a problem, then remove it once you're done troubleshooting.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map