Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ast Edimdumat has become obsessed!  (Read 3826 times)

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ast Edimdumat has become obsessed!
« on: August 12, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

So on of my masons in my latest fort has a strange mood and creates a limestone weapon rack. the goes about his normal business of trying not to starve to death. (I have this problem with forts, but it normally works itself out after the second year) when I get the message "Ast Edimdumat has become obsessed with Dodikkizest Usirthidas"

Hes become obsessed with his own artifact weapon rack, that weighs 250 but hes still carting around.

this game boggles the mind, and now I'm going to have to watch for signs of this obsession, I may get him engraving to see what he makes

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ast Edimdumat has become obsessed!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 03:17:00 am »

I want to see a screenshot of that. I have never seen / heard of that.

Edit: Just did a search of my 2.6meg gamelog and it has 0 references to 'obsess' or 'obsessed'

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: Ravendas ]

Corpze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:39:00 am »

I also have not heard of it. Can you post the relevent bit of the game log so we can see what it said, a screen shot would do though. (Game log is in your DF folder.)

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: Corpze ]

acrificing Minions: is there any problem it CAN''T solve?

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

quote:
Nomal ThocitdodĒk, Farmer cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by alligator.
Udib KoganŠrith, Miner cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by alligator.
There are no fish in the cave river.
It has started raining.
Ast Edimdumat becomes obsessed with DodĒkkizest UsirthŒdas!
Urist Alakvucar, Metalsmith is more experienced.
Ast Edimdumat has created a masterpiece!
There are no fish in the river.

Goddam worlds -3 errored on me. and I seem to have lost the last save. but i can post the whole gamelog if needs be.

dam thats annoying. I'm going to let the game run to see if it happens again now.

Corpze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:56:00 am »

Wow thats really wierd...

There's nothing about it on the wiki as far as I can see, so what happens when they get obsessed, and did you see anything strange before you got the -3 error?

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: Corpze ]

acrificing Minions: is there any problem it CAN''T solve?

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »

quote:
Wow thats really wierd...

There's nothing about it on the wiki as far as I can see, so what happens when they get obsessed, and did you see anything strange before you got the -3 error?

nothing that I could see. I was hoping to get him engraving and see nothing but pictures of armour racks. - i tried the wiki myself. Personally I wondering if the obsessed dwarf caused the world to inflate due to his ego.

kinda annoying that i didn't take a screenie, it was just before I had to go to work this morning, so I didn't have the time. now I'm left looking like a 13 year old making it up to look important.

all I can say was that the text was yellow and it paused the game. maybe Toady can shead some light.

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

I've never seen any dwarf ever become obsessed with an object. Come on Toady! Time to spill some beans!
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

bremac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 12:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grey Hunter:
<STRONG>kinda annoying that i didn't take a screenie, it was just before I had to go to work this morning, so I didn't have the time. now I'm left looking like a 13 year old making it up to look important.</STRONG>

Well, I can say this to back it up a bit:

code:
[bremac@archbox df]$ strings dwarfort.exe | grep obsess
becomes obsessed with
[bremac@archbox df]$

So, dwarves can most definitely become obsessed, or at least claim to be.

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: bremac ]

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 01:30:00 pm »

Huh, all this time and we're still figuring out new things!
obles make fine firewood.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »

Yeah, you'd see it more often, but I think the timer became 10x too long (or even 72x...), or it would happen a bit more.  Basically, the "carry around the artifact" stage was only supposed to last a short time, and then it can branch 3 ways.  Obsession is one of them, which just makes them seek out and carry the artifact like they always do, although it does add a history event for it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

What? So some time after a strange mood dwavres should treat their creation in one of three ways, but the timer for this is too long for this to happen? Or did I misunderstand you (which I probably did)?

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 04:30:00 pm »

Well, Toady has said that dwarves used to drop their artifacts after around five years, but after Adventure Mode and Dwarf Mode times got synched or something, the time for them to part with their artifacts got multiplied several times over. So this event only happens once the time for them to part with the artifact has come, which would happen a lot more if the time hadn't got screwed up.

Great find, by the way. I can just imagine the dwarf acting like Golum, back hunched over, hissing at anyone who get's too close to his artifact...     ;)

EDIT: Wait, it can branch three ways? So one more is still a mystery? (dwarf becomes obsessed, dwarf drops it, dwarf...?)

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: Gaulgath ]

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »

I hope the third way isn't "dwarf goes insane and bludgeons half the fortress to death with artifact cabinet carved from ruby".

So how long had your fort been running when you got the obsessed message?

Grey Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>I hope the third way isn't "dwarf goes insane and bludgeons half the fortress to death with artifact cabinet carved from ruby".

So how long had your fort been running when you got the obsessed message?</STRONG>

Its dwarf Fortress - thats always a third option.
and the fort was only 18 months old, summer of the second year. so I must have lucked out, just before the world ended.

yeah, would love to see the other two ways though.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:06:00 am »

Maybe the creator gets sick of looking at it and chucks it in the river. Or at a puppy.

Maybe someone else has had a fortress running for long enough to see at least one thing happen? From what this sounds like it seems to be incredibly random now, ranging from a mere year to (probably) the guy's lifespan.
Someone else should eventually get lucky!

[ August 13, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

Pages: [1] 2