Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge Fling  (Read 3035 times)

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridge Fling
« on: December 06, 2007, 12:32:00 pm »

Do bridges not fling people anymore?  I've never tried it till now, and I can't get anything going.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Bridge Fling
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

There is a slight bug; in order to get bridges to fling properly, there must be a prime number of creatures on it, unless any of them have the [fling_resist] tag, in which case, there must be the square root of a prime number of creatures on the bridge, not counting fliers or 'moody' dwarves. That my not apply to versions 33c+ or a modified version of the 32.5n z-patch. you may want to reformat your drive  and replace the motherboard, then reinstall DF using a different isp, possibly in another state (or province). Be sure that you are using a dvorak keyboard, or you will ruin it all.

Or, set up your system to dual boot in ubuntoo linux, install wine, and create a wine script to initialize the frequency modulator in a counter-clockwise death spiral of doom.

Please don't take all that seriously, I don't mean a word of it.

What you really need to do is make sure your bridges are set to raise when opened, as opposed to retract. By default, bidges just dissapere when opened, but when you build them, pressing the waxd keys will cause it to raise and then fling thigs. Happy flinging!

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>There is a slight bug; in order to get bridges to fling properly, there must be a prime number of creatures on it, unless any of them have the [fling_resist] tag, in which case, there must be the square root of a prime number of creatures on the bridge, not counting fliers or 'moody' dwarves. That my not apply to versions 33c+ or a modified version of the 32.5n z-patch. you may want to reformat your drive  and replace the motherboard, then reinstall DF using a different isp, possibly in another state (or province). Be sure that you are using a dvorak keyboard, or you will ruin it all.

Or, set up your system to dual boot in ubuntoo linux, install wine, and create a wine script to initialize the frequency modulator in a counter-clockwise death spiral of doom.

What you really need to do is make sure your bridges are set to raise when opened, as opposed to retract. By default, bidges just dissapere when opened, but when you build them, pressing the waxd keys will cause it to raise and then fling thigs. Happy flinging!

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]</STRONG>

Random fact: the square root of any integer that isnt a perfect square is irrational.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:04:00 pm »

Fling does not work very well. Sometimes it flings them a few squares to the side, rarely it flings them like a catapult and the vast majority of the time it just drops them straight through the bridge onto the ground where they were standing, or one spot to the side.

I don't know if its a bug or if that's how it is supposed to work. I tried with a sort of a bridge catapult defense in the 2d version that would throw goblins into a pit, but it never worked and they all ended up getting smashed by the bridge.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>Fling does not work very well. Sometimes it flings them a few squares to the side, rarely it flings them like a catapult and the vast majority of the time it just drops them straight through the bridge onto the ground where they were standing, or one spot to the side.

I don't know if its a bug or if that's how it is supposed to work. I tried with a sort of a bridge catapult defense in the 2d version that would throw goblins into a pit, but it never worked and they all ended up getting smashed by the bridge.</STRONG>

Yeah, which is what I'm getting too.  I initially did it with retract, but later learned the fling, but even with that, it only moved em a couple squares.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 12:44:00 am »

I have a huge, retractable drawbridge at the one entrance to my current fort. I placed a peasant on the far edge of it and pulled the lever. Rather than epicly sending him sailing over the fortress and splatting on the ground, he simply "slid" southward and drowned in my moat. This... needs some work.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 01:08:00 pm »

The quality of the mechanisms used to make the launching device now factor with the speed of the reaction, and your flingify().

Get a Good mechanic, and have not only good quality mechanisms, but have him install them as well. Just like how having a good architect can increase the value of a road or bridge, so can the mechanic increase the efficiency of your mechanisms and devices requiring installation.

Don't believe me? Get a legenday mechanic, get some legendary mechanisms, have a legendary installation, and then see if that 7x3 bridge can't send dwarves careeming into a cliffside.

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MickEfinn:
<STRONG>The quality of the mechanisms used to make the launching device now factor with the speed of the reaction, and your flingify().

Get a Good mechanic, and have not only good quality mechanisms, but have him install them as well. Just like how having a good architect can increase the value of a road or bridge, so can the mechanic increase the efficiency of your mechanisms and devices requiring installation.

Don't believe me? Get a legenday mechanic, get some legendary mechanisms, have a legendary installation, and then see if that 7x3 bridge can't send dwarves careeming into a cliffside.</STRONG>

this is true for the new version?

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
I have a huge, <STRONG>retractable</STRONG> drawbridge at the one entrance to my current fort. I placed a peasant on the far edge of it and pulled the lever. Rather than epicly sending him sailing over the fortress and splatting on the ground, he simply "slid" southward and drowned in my moat. This... needs some work.

Retractable bridges don't fling. You need a bridge that raises up.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RustedAxe:
<STRONG>

this is true for the new version?</STRONG>

I have been told it's confirmed false. Could stand testing.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>There is a slight bug; in order to get bridges to fling properly, there must be a prime number of creatures on it, unless any of them have the [fling_resist] tag, in which case, there must be the square root of a prime number of creatures on the bridge, not counting fliers or 'moody' dwarves. That my not apply to versions 33c+ or a modified version of the 32.5n z-patch. you may want to reformat your drive  and replace the motherboard, then reinstall DF using a different isp, possibly in another state (or province). Be sure that you are using a dvorak keyboard, or you will ruin it all.

[ December 06, 2007: Message edited by: PTTG?? ]</STRONG>

I believed up to the part about the square root of a prime number because that gives you an irrational number, so unless there are 1.41...<BLAH> (Square Root of two) goblins....

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

RustedAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 04:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pandarsenic:
<STRONG>

I believed up to the part about the square root of a prime number because that gives you an irrational number, so unless there are 1.41...<BLAH> (Square Root of two) goblins....</STRONG>

yes, I, too, was actually believing in the prime numbers  :D

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

Yeah, that'd be a pretty funny bug.

So you can throw 0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, or 19 creatures with a big enough bridge...
<.<
>.>

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I