Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mistbusters - On the Shores of Time - Turn 3 (Page 3)  (Read 6153 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Mistbusters - On the Shores of Time - Turn 3 (Page 3)
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:45:31 pm »

Roll to Pirate Antimatter didn't work out as expected. So I decided to experiment a bit. And yes, this means that the other RtD won't be starting.

The Setting

Kashi is a frigid, shadowy world swaddled in ice. Its sole life-bearing regions can be found at the equatorial regions, where the bubbling rapids bring life-giving warmth to the people of the land. Here flows the River of Life, the home of mankind.
Overhead looms Heaven, a grand celestial sphere cloaked in azure clouds and brilliant blooms of light that dot the surface periodically. It is said that each flash is the birth of a celestial being, as they are born in the skies before they are found and nursed in the castles among the clouds.

Heaven is not humanity's place, however. Our world is a frigid husk, and our people live only in the shadow of Heaven. Here on the near side of our world, the River gives life to the surrounding rocky wastes and icy plains. Life grows feebly under the eternal mellow sun, but it is enough, for we who are few can survive and prosper. Despite the sun, the sky is always black as night, clothing the world in the shining fabric of the stars.
On the far side, where Heaven is no longer visible, lie the Farlands where horrors await in the eternal dark sky. Here plants do not survive and the land is frozen over. The creatures of the night twist the life of the River into something terrible, hideous, and macabre.

The Agewalker

It is nearing the end of the week in the small fishing village of Sanzou. As the sun crawls toward the horizon, the villagers realize that this is only the beginning as the fish follow the sun, and the catch will be great.

An old man has recently visited the town and started preaching a strange message. He speaks of a mist that will come and engulf the town in darkness when the sun sets, and claims that the only way to escape it is to retreat into the Farlands. He carries with him a golden spear that radiates with light whenever he swings it, and a golden harp that plays on its own. His message has been met with rejection so far by most of the village, but some are genuinely interested, if only because he carries such exotic equipment.
He calls himself the Agewalker, as one who has fled the mist through countless ages. You have heard this man speak and, though his tale is improbable, he speaks with some kind of desperate authority imploring you to consider it.

Mechanics

Mechanics are the usual, with a d6 for actions:
[1]: Bad overshoot (You fail, along with an unintended effect)
[2]: Failure
[3]: Slightly Success
[4]: Mostly Success
[5]: Success
[6]: Good Overshoot (You succeed, but have an unintended effect)

You may queue as many actions as you like, but I'll stop in the middle of them if further input is required.

Characters

Spoiler: Lore Guidelines (click to show/hide)

To sign up, just make a character with the sheet below. I'm not expecting unique ideas at the start, although like most of my games this will probably involve some roleplaying and dialogue.
Earlier sign-ups will have priority, although I'll choose between characters that are similar so we have some variety.

Spoiler: Charsheet (click to show/hide)

Players (5/5):
Shaporia
Generally me
Kevak
HighEndNoob
Pencil_Art

Waitlist:
Spiderking50
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:02:38 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mistbusters - On the Shores of Time - Open (0/5 players)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:55:14 pm »

Ooh, looks interesting,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:23:37 pm »

Name: Rob Blackfrost
Apperance: Wiry and strong with every part of him defined. Greyish green eyes and a angular face with a bent nose and a sharp chin.
Background: was a fisherman, then got married but his Wife died a year after they married. Started spending more time in the wild alone until he basically just started living there, hunting, fishing and trying to do what it takes to survive. So when the stranger came along he had nothing to lose.
Profession: doesn't have one but if he did it would be Survivalist.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:37:36 am by Generally me »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 05:36:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mistbusters - On the Shores of Time - Open (3/5 players)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:39:34 pm »

Name: Eudes Reimont
Appearance: A mildly bulky build with messy blond hair with bandanna.
Background: One of the most renowned blacksmiths in the village, he often sells his ware civilians and guardsmen alike. He often comes up with outlandish names and equally outlandish properties for each weapon he crafts.
Profession: Blacksmith
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mistbusters - On the Shores of Time - Open (3/5 players)
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:03 am »

Name: Reg Fenion
Appearance: A man of average height, Reg has tanned skin, a knowledgeable look in his hazel eyes, and walks among the wild as one who belongs there.
Background: Reg was born on the outskirts of the village, where he was made to gather plenty of wood from the ages of his youth. He learnt how to deal with the cold, often being hit by frostbite, and was made to bring back herbs that only grew in these parts of the world, used for herbal remedies (no they're not narcotics). After a while he took up the job completely of brewing the teas and making medicines, thus becoming quite proficient in this field. He often took to the wild though, and has a habit of talking to animals he comes across.
Profession: Herbalist

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mistbusters - On the Shores of Time - Open (5/5 players)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:18:32 am »

I hope that at least one of these characters will learn dark-binding or dark magic, so that I can advise them.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 01:26:31 am »

The Librarian is sorta built to be a wizard~

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 01:33:52 am »

The Librarian is sorta built to be a wizard~
Then, if you do not fear the dark and the eldritch, and are willing to bend and break your moral code, you will rule the world.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 01:48:14 am »

Don't expect dark magic to serve anyone well. Although it could be !!fun!!, depending on who you ask.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turn 0
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 02:34:08 am »

Here we go! GM note: The sun rises and falls in one month. Weeks are phases of the sun, AKA quarters of the month. There are no days. Months are normal in length (~30 days).

Hover over italicized text to read a description. Apologies to phone users, I'm not sure how the {abbr} tag works on those.
+1/-1 means that if you get a 6 you go down to a 5. You can mention "Allow Overshoots" in your action to negate the effect of the /-1 temporarily.

On how the skills work: they round DOWN. The decimal value is simply a percentage telling you the level of the skill. Plot-related events and [5]'s will increase your skills by a certain amount based on the difficulty of the action.

Name: Reg Fenion
Appearance: A man of average height, Reg has tanned skin, a knowledgeable look in his hazel eyes, and walks among the wild as one who belongs there.
Background: Reg was born on the outskirts of the village, where he was made to gather plenty of wood from the ages of his youth. He learnt how to deal with the cold, often being hit by frostbite, and was made to bring back herbs that only grew in these parts of the world, used for herbal remedies (no they're not narcotics). After a while he took up the job completely of brewing the teas and making medicines, thus becoming quite proficient in this field. He often took to the wild though, and has a habit of talking to animals he comes across.
Profession: Herbalist

You recline on a wooden stool next to your work desk, slowly sipping down a cup of your latest tea. Tea keeps you alert and helps you stay awake during the long, quiet hours nearing the end of the week. The sun is low and the farmhands are spraying the plants outside to make them ready for morning. As the sun disappears over the edge, it will rise again just over the rolling hills to the east.

You've been reading the local paper, blotted out crudely on coarse paper by some novice printer. The prose is dull and subjects mundane, but still it is a semblance of civilization. The only stories worth remembering are of course the visit from "the Agewalker," as well as a recent accident at a pigtail gin: the steam-powered mechanism had turned brittle due to the reheating of the metal, and when the machine was overloaded yesterday it broke. This second story was notable because you yourself had been there during the incident, and a piece of reinforcement had been blown in your direction, but it hit a man named Riccolo instead and paralyzed him from the waist down. But that was history by now. The man was sent to High Daevzig, the nearest city, where a skilled surgeon would stitch his torso back together.

The Agewalker is another ordeal altogether. Lacking enthused followers, he recently spoke to the village elders and tried to convince them to lend him a boat. When they asked him why he needed a boat, the man said he planned to cross the Farlands in one month. Impressed, but doubtful, the village elders politely declined.
At the moment, the Agewalker can be heard outside shouting to the villagers in the town square, standing next to a well. Your office is fairly close to the heart of the village, which is clustered on the bank of the river. Actually, there are two halves of the village, one half clustered on the fertile plain just south of the river, while the other half resides on three islands separated by narrow channels, several meters of stagnant, bubbling water.
The village center is on a wooden platform clustered around a well which lowers a bucket deep into a bubbling spring, the source of warm water for the otherwise chilly village. Around the platform are administrative buildings and dockyard facilities: hand-powered cranes for handling large loads, warehouses for the storage of goods, and broker's offices which lay mostly unattended as their owners are always outside talking or at home sleeping.
Though largely a commercial center, all citizens of the village come here to retrieve warm water from the well. This makes it a meeting-ground of sorts--in other words, ripe ground for demonstrators and beggars.

Condition: Perfect, Sharpened Wit
Items:
A spot of tea (located on table)
Local Newspaper
Abilities:
[2] Brewer (+2/-1)
[1.5] Herbalist (+1/-1)

Name: Eudes Reimont
Appearance: A mildly bulky build with messy blond hair with bandanna.
Background: One of the most renowned blacksmiths in the village, he often sells his ware civilians and guardsmen alike. He often comes up with outlandish names and equally outlandish properties for each weapon he crafts.
Profession: Blacksmith

You sit back in a large, comfy chair reading a book on smithing technique, although not so much reading it as looking at the artwork and mentally criticizing the designs.
Weapons of all names and forms surround you. To your right lies Yaroslavig, Durendir, Agurashi, Mythos, and Pointy-Demon-Spanker, the legendary quintet of swords fabricated by your hand and brought to bear upon human flesh by only yours truly.
To your right lies a bin containing Agathabig, Ornato, Valentin, Zoroaster, and Split Spine the Gruesome Divine. These are the spears that pierce through all hides and plate.
Hung from the ceiling above the anvil to your front float Mjolag, Dra Bolg, and Iron Beaty Thing, the hammers of justice.

And just outside the door which you inconveniently left open and never felt the motivation to close, stands the Agewalker with his radiant spear over his shoulder and his harp singing in his elbow.
"The mist has already come to the western lands! You must come with me, and end the stagnation of time's flow! There is little time, for we must set sail before dark." he wails, apparently to you.

Condition: Perfect
Items:
Shoulder-Bag
-Portable Anvil
-Smithing Hammer
-Charcoal Pot
Abilities:
Supernatural Smith

Name: The Librarian. Nobody in his town can remember his actual name. He has stated he has one. He simply never uses it.
Appearance: A somewhat pale, wizened old man. Usually wearing an offcolor, bluishgrey hooded robe. Oddly he's a bit more physically fit then most people his age.
Background: The Librarian is the Librarian. He was the Librarian's Assistant after he was adopted as an orphaned child and became The Librarian upon the death of the first one. He caretakes for the town's rather large library. The only library in quite a ways actually. The Librarian's Apprentice has already been trained. Lore of old, found in dusty tombs deep within the archives hints that the stranger speaks the truth. He will be leaving shortly. Someone after all has to record this chapter of history.
Profession: Librarian

This library happens to be so large it's quite easy to get lost in no matter how long you've spent inside. In fact, this just happened to you. The shelves deep in the history section have been organized only according to immediate convenience and not long-term ease-of-access. It's quite literally a labyrinth.

You wonder if this mist the Agewalker speaks of can get indoors. Wouldn't an underground bunker be sufficient? Digging a hole sounds a lot simpler than crossing the far side of the world in a month. Still, the man speaks with confidence. It would be foolish not to investigate.

Items:
On the History of Cartography
Abilities:
[1] Meta-Knowledge (Currently: doubles)

Name: Rob Blackfrost
Apperance: Wiry and strong with every part of him defined. Greyish green eyes and a angular face with a bent nose and a sharp chin.
Background: was a fisherman, then got married but his Wife died a year after they married. Started spending more time in the wild alone until he basically just started living there, hunting, fishing and trying to do what it takes to survive.
Profession: doesn't have one but if he did it would be Survivalist.

Word has it that a stranger from upriver has visited the town and started preaching about some kind of dark mist that comes after sundown when the sun is supposed to rise again. Some rumors say he is a Celestial, coming to warn us of the apocalypse. Others say he is an old crazy sage, wielding great power but having no wit left to make use of it.

You are currently located on a large, flat, green plain just outside the border of the village. It is a communal orchard, planted with a single ancient tree every several dozen meters. Each tree has a trunk thick as a whale and an impressively complicated root network that reaches so far that the borders between each tree's "zone" is apparent--there is a small ridge where the roots of the two trees push up against each other and raise the ground.
The smooth, bubbly grass acts almost like a cushion, so walking barefoot is quite comfortable. It's not tasty, but it does feel unnaturally succulent for something that covers the ground. You spot a rare sight grazing the fields: An Elefphant Strider. These animals are twice as tall as a man and have large mouths on both their feet. Their armless trunks are covered in many eyes as black as igneous riverstone, and the sharkfin-like crest on their head contains some kind of homing beacon for their batlike young, which follow the solitary creature as a large roaming flock, swarming like locusts, although once they land on a patch of grass it usually takes a while for them to squeeze it dry and make it hard as rock.

Items:
Hunting Bag
-Emergency Ointment {numbing}
-Brass Binoculars
-A small, hand-drawn map
Abilities:
[1] Fisher (+1/-1)
[1] Hunter (+1/-1)

Name: Sir John
Appearance: An averagely built man with brown hair and blue eyes.
Background: He comes from a family of guards, which they basically forced him to become a guard. As well as making his first name 'Sir'. His family has some weird obsession with guarding things, which he never felt, but oh well.
Profession: Guard!

As a guard, you don't really have a very interesting life. You stand in front of the Mayor's office even though he isn't inside. It's rather cold as the wind blows into the east, and the uniform you are wearing isn't adequately prepared for the cold. Which is strange, because it's cold almost every day in this village. And in this world. The least they could do is let you wear a coat, but that's unprofessional.

And then an old man walks by. He has a radiant spear on his back, glowing with the heat of a hundred suns. You feel inclined to follow him if only for the fact that you are freezing. He seems to be talking about some kind of apocalypse, though, like some kind of evil mist that will come when the sun goes down.

Condition: Freezing
Items:
Tall Feathered Hat
Abilities:
[1] The Reluctant Guardsman (+1/-1)
Ceremonial Combatant

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: Mistbusters - On the Shores of Time - Turn 0 (Page 1)
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:18:34 pm »

((I should probably have a weapon of some kind. I mean how did I hunt otherwise... With my hands. If so that's incredibly badass.))

Hurry past the creature and find this "Agewalker" And ask him if I may join him.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:52 pm »

((I should probably have a weapon of some kind. I mean how did I hunt otherwise... With my hands. If so that's incredibly badass.))

Hurry past the creature and find this "Agewalker" And ask him if I may join him.

((I didn't want to start you off with an axe in an orchard because, well... that would draw suspicion, no? :)

I'll assume you live in this village or at least have someplace to store a weapon, so you can retrieve one if needed, like a spear or a bow))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:03:32 pm »

Eudes takes a look at the display of his craftsmanship. If the Agewalker needs assistance, then there will likely be materials to make weapons. As he always says, the best weapons are the ones forged in adventure.

Gather my supplies and charcoal and head out to meet the wizened elder.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:04:30 pm »

((Yeah I was thinking I would have a bow(hunting) and a spear(spear fishing) but if I had to choose it would be bow.))

Afterwards collect my things. include that on my action as well then.
Pages: [1] 2 3