Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS in German / LCS auf deutsch  (Read 12083 times)

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS in German / LCS auf deutsch
« on: June 29, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »

[D]
Nach einigen Wochen Arbeit, ist LCS auch bald auf deutsch verfügbar. Dann können Sie den Amerikanern helfen, die Republikaner aus dem Land zu treiben, und durch die Demokraten ersetzen, die eigentlich identisch zu den Republikanern sind, aber in dem Spiel die "Guten" sind. In der USA hat man zwar keine Demokratie, aber dafür hat jeder eine M16 - damit kann man auch Politik machen :-).

Es läuft bereits, und ich bin noch dabei Fehler auszubessern, und einen Server zum Hochladen zu finden. Zum Vorgeschmack, ein paar Bilder :

[E]
I am translating LCS to German. After some weeks,  its now running, and I only have to fix Bugs, and find a Host. Vor preview some Pictures :

[D] Zeitungssartikel, der die Wirtschaftspolitik "Liberaler" macht. Eigentlich wird die Politik sozialer, da Helmut Kohl liberal ist, aber in Amerika heist "Conservative", liberal, und und "Liberal" heist sozial.... andere Länder andere Sitten.
[E] Bloated Haggis - A New Book descripes the dark sides of Helmut Kohl. (Kohl resembles Reagan, and Haggis is his favourite Food)

[D] Hiterwäldler, Jodler, Schluchtenscheißer und Christsoziale stürmen das Obdachlosenheim mit Fackeln und Mistgabeln, weil man geheime Akten ihres heiligen Privatfernsehens veröffentlicht hat. Joa mai, doa lägst di nieder.
[E] Rednecks raid the homeles shelter. It is written in Bavarian Dialekt, to emphasise that they are rednecks.

[D] Ey, die Hopper im Spiel, ey, die sin' so cool, di reden voll die fette Gangster Slang, Alter.
[E]
Q:"Oi Dude, I need a Gun "
A:"Oi Dude, Oi me not sellin gun to Pigs ..." "ehm me sayin, me not sellin any gun, Dude"
In the German Translation, Gangmembers get a ultra-cool Hiphop-Slang, dude.

[D] Eine voll ausgerüstete "Konspirative Wohnung" der LCS. In der USA steht schon in der Verfassung, das jeder Sprengfallen und eine FlaK zu Hause haben darf, und Panzersperren sollte man dort auch haben.
[E] A full Upgraded Safehouse of the LCS

[D] In ein paar tagem werde ich die Beta Version irgenwo hochladen.
[E] In some Days I will upload the beta Version

Features :
* good, lovely translation, like in "Die Zwei", and not like "Die Simpsons". If there are silly puns in english, I translated them to silly puns in German, instead to translate them literal.
* safefiles are compatible to 4.7.0. for that purpose, I used some tricks, for example the sex of the gouvernement is encoded behind the terminator of their name, and the sex of locations is encode in their first letter.
* I wrote an improved random number generator, using the XOR-feedback-Shift register algorithm (similar to GPS encryption). While wikipedia claims the algorith is inefficient in software, I found a way to make it more efficient than the old, by using the parity checks, that 8086 Processors have in Assembly. The most important thing, is that the random numbers are more random, preventing streaks of mediocreness.
* The Game now has more Humour. I added more curses then free speech is L+, and also made a lot of jokes about americans.
* I added some new function, that might be usefull, for the english version too : strkitten -like strcat, but appends single char) , strcatf - like strcat, but accepts format strings, addstrf - like addstr, but accepts format strings.
* I significantly increased the efficience of the code. For example, I converted the macros GIVE_WEAPON_CIVILLIAN, GIVE_GENDER_MALE and GIVE_GENDER_FEMALE in creaturetypes.cpp into funktions, reducing the compiletime. I also significantly reduced the stringduplication, for example all text to new laws appear exactly one time (with that from the beginning, the election bug would have never happened) .
* Texts now take the actual sex of a person more into acount, sounding much better. For example every job has appropriate male and female names, as it is normal in german. I just want to point out, that certain jobs like Nun or Actor should change in english too, or have you ever seen a male nun ? (Thought NetHack has female Monks :-) ...)
* Certain creatures (Redneck, Gangmember) get a silly slang, to sound more funny.

Gameplay changes (mostly bugfixes, and some grammer stuff):
* Game doesn't crash on elections
* You can kill multiple tanks, without a raid becoming unwinnible
* You can reconquer lost warehouses
* Hermaphrodites, Transsexuals and Homosexual Dating are removed, due to them beeing akward to translate. To compensate, the "Age of consent" is removed.
* Gender-neutral names are removed, due to being impossible to talk about.
* You can back out while talking in combat
* The Help on Activities is updatet, to reflect the actual gameplay
* Items have now a sex, defined in the XML files
* If you escape a raid, you get now chasers of the apropriate type (I am not sure, if you should get chasers at all ?)
* Then hostile Firemen attack you with their flamethrower, you are no longer charged with arson.
* If the founder is female, the "homosexuality option" in the starting questions mentions playing football, because making out shouldn't be wrong, if a girl does it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:24:13 pm by Purple Gorilla »

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS in German / LCS auf deutsch
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:56:49 pm »

Es ist vollbracht, die Beta-Version ist jetzt verfügbar.

Spiel (ca. 1MB): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10984
Quellcode (ca. 4MB): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10985

(note, the second link is the source Code, so the GNU LIcense is fullfilled)

Es ist eine Beta Version, kann also noch Fehler enthalten.
Die Fehler bitte -wie bei Mods üblich- hier, in diesem Thread melden.

Viel Spaß

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:20:56 am »

I have to say that, while I absolutely approve of this, I can't contribute or comment much, not speaking German. :)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 11:03:53 am »

It never ceases to amaze me how conceptually unconnected US-american political terms like "liberal" and "conservative" are to their german equivalents.

I didn't play LCS in a while and I'm not sure I can afford to play it right now, time-wise. It's one of those games that sucks me in.
Aber sobald ich mehr Zeit habe, spiele ich das auf jeden Fall an. Schon wegen den bajuwarischen CSU-Mobs! Sieht ziemlich gut aus, soweit.

Spoiler: Auch (click to show/hide)

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 05:05:29 pm »

Agreed, politics in LCS are peculiarly American - and, specifically, post-Vietnam peculiarly American (before that, the liberals favored an aggressive foreign policy while the conservatives were isolationist!).

P(ony)SI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 05:32:11 pm »

Agreed, politics in LCS are peculiarly American - and, specifically, post-Vietnam peculiarly American (before that, the liberals favored an aggressive foreign policy while the conservatives were isolationist!).
I think that has to do with the fact that the setting in LCS is a post-Vietnam America. :P

It would be interesting if this translation mod put the game in Germany and had in-game conservative/liberal policies changed accordingly.

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 11:20:14 am »

The Game is still set in the USA, but i adabted some stuff, to make it more funny and understandable. In general, i avoided the words conservative and liberal, to avoid confusion. Conservatives are simply called enemies, and liberals, either member, liberal democrat or freedom fighter. The politicians are called republicans and democrats, but for the actual alignments liberals and conservatives are amongst the alignments.

C+-> R+ Rep+ Faschist  - Partei fetter Cowboys mit rauchenden Colts (obese cowboys with smoking colts)
 C ->  R   Rep Konservativ - Republikanische Partei Amerikas
 M ->  M  mod Liberal - (no party given)
 L ->  D  Dem Demokratisch - Demokratische Partei Amerikas
 L+ -> D+ Dem- Sozialistisch - Links-grüne Proletenpartei (leftist-green yobbo party)

I am not sure, if Colt as synonym for revolver is an actual english word, or just a german pseudo-anglizism. Note, Prolet was in the 19th cetury a positiv term for the working class, and the SPD even called itself Proletenpartei, but in nowadays it is curseword like yobbo (similar to redneck, witch was acording to wikipedia a self used term by amerikan democrats).

German politicians often use the buzzword "liberal democratic basic order", so i used liberal democratic in weird places, like "liberal democratic interogation order" or "the squad's liberal democratic weapons". (by the way, if you buy a weapon from a gang member or mercenary, the variable no_liberal_weapons is set, that prevents disguise penalties for that day, preventing the bug, that gang members attack you for wielding the weapon, you just bought.)

As seen in  the newspaper, I also transated jokes about Ronald reagan into jokes about Helmut Kohl. Helmut Kohl, privatised may authorities, like the railway, and signed the introduction of the euro as currency, so he is a good match. Even some CDU voters hate him for ruining public servises.

I changed Wisdom to Kreativity. It seems weird, that wisdom is detrimental, so Kreativity is a better match. While Kreativity itself is something good to, it is nowadays used as a buzzword by economists, so it became a curseword. Beeing creative means nowadays, you are a unemployed hipster with an undercut and glasses, who drinks latte machiato and tries to found a internet related start up buisness, with a pseudo italian name (Sounding like Zalando or Arduiono) with gets a media-hype and gets bankrupt after a month.

I swapped all references to microsoft/IBM and Apple, because Apple is more seen as the root of all evil. Microsoft may be evil too, but I wanted to avoid the irony of mocking microsoft or IBM in a Game that runs on a PC with Windows. I also added refereces to Burger king, since it is arguable more evil than Mc Donalds. When I was Teenager (and extreme left wing), I once entered a Burger King, and saw an American Flag, a picture of an american Politican and Screens running MTV, so I turned around offendedly and left :-).

The News Papers are good translated too. Site reports by other newspapers are agressive, claiming the LCS are Nazis or Isalamists, while Liberal Guardian reports are over-the-top euphemistic (picking locks is "Tag der offenen Tür veranstalten" and kicking down doors is "sich für Barrierefreiheit engagieren"). The random stories are funny too, so "KINKY WIKY" is "DER PO VON PO" (Po's Butt) implying anal sex between Tinky Winky and Po, or "APE EXPLORERS" is "AFFEN-SS"(sic) (a pun on Waffen-SS), or "FBI FILES" is "NSA AFFÄRE" refering to current events. In the Prison Article, the line "like a (american) Football player staring at a teenager" is replaced by "like american Fottball players staring at each other", implying american Football players are all gay. The Articles about genetic engineered food and pollution contains some chemical insider jokes and references to TTIP (american Food in the game contains Soylent Green, Agent Orange, Mustard gas or Zyclon-B, as exageration of chlor desinficated chickens). There are now more reasons, why the FBI has tabs about you, like feeding pidgeons at the Bus depot or beeing a nudist.

The Justice Code contains references to German judgment shows, so the "Liberal Ace atourney" is a eerie lawyer named Ingo Lensen, and his arch enemy is Bernd Römer.

Translating deathsquads was tricky. Squad means Gruppe, but some moron translated it to "Todesschwadron" (death squadron) on wikipedia. Note, a squadron (in infantry) is much larger than a squad. So I simply invoked Godwins law, and made them the SS.

I also changed the executions a bit. On L beheading is the only allowed method (that would be the method in Germany, if the death penalty were used), while "creative" stuff like gas chamber or electrocution are only used at C+ (thought I forgot to add electrocution, so it is missing in the beta).

The Labor Camp is now called concentration camp, and the prison scenes are taken from actual concentration camps like Treplinka, as well as the song "Die Moorsoldaten", the novel "Das siebte Kreuz" (and Guantanamo Bay). Be warned, that some Prison scenes might be disturbing (or how Dwarf Fortress Players would say : FUN).
-------
I thought about placing the game in Germany (with the RAF as Protagonists), but there are some problems :
* Germany has a multy-party-system, so the political code should be rewritten. The two extremes principle could however be kept with C beeing pro american and L beeing pro soviet.
* Germany has Guncontrol, so it would center more around meele weapons (brass knuckles,...) and self-crafted weapons (flamethrower, crossbow, chemical weapons,...). To make "agressive politics", it would also be more convinient to lay a bomb than shooting up a place.
* Foreign intervention should exist, so you can escape into the DDR, make a deal with the Soviets or assault american military bases.
* Instead of assaulting AM-Radio and founding a Press, you would more likely found an (illegal) AM-Radio, and assault the Press (espacially Axel Springer)
* Gender roles should have more effect on gameplay (espacially if it is set in th 70s).
* The most important : The political issues don't really match. Racism and Gun proliferation for example are not particular hot topics. It is also not clear what is left wing and right wing with issues like homosexuality or drugs.
* Most legal fundraising are actually illegal if you don't have a permission to do it. Recent events show, that you get into trouble if you ask for donations for islamic state, so collecting for the LCS shouldn't work too. On the other hand, Prostitution is not only legal, it is also mostly uncontrolled. Recently a politician said that a German country (I think Baden Würtenberg) has only 50 official(=tax paying) prostitutes, while there are actually thousands of prostitutes, who do it as "black work". Note however, that German brothels often act as front business for firearm trade, so police raids in brothels are common, but the prostitutes are not arrested.

In General, making a Game actually set in Germany would require so much changes, that it would probably easier to write a new game from scratch. So I left it american, but transaled it more adaptive.

Note, that actual german liberals and democrats would be almost the same. Liberals like Westerwelle are die hard capitalist, who want to kill the poor for profit, while conservatives like Gauck want to do the same, but use better sounding euphemisms. Outside of politics, the word conservative is often asociated with the catholic church, which is very left wing on economy issues and human rights. What americans call conservative, would germans call Christian Fundamentalist, Kreationist, (or siply Americans :-) ). That americans call liberal simply doesn't exist in Germany, especially since social issues are often incompatible with enviromental issues.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 06:57:07 pm »

All right, some answers and comments:

Colt refers to American business man Samuel Colt and his company, Colt Manufacturing Company, which manufactures the Colt brand revolver. The term "Colt revolver" refers specifically to a revolver made by Colt Manufacturing. Revolvers not made by Colt are not Colt revolvers. (For more information, see Wikipedia and www.colt.com)

Wisdom is a conservative stat in Liberal Crime Squad because it is a stereotype among Americans that liberals tend to support policies that are motivated by compassion (i.e. Heart), and assume that the monetary requirements will all work out. Conservatives, by contrast, tend to ask "wait, will this policy actually work/get what we want?", hence, wisdom.

I'm not aware of any Windows/Apple references in LCS, but do mind, I play my game on a Mac. :p

The term "squad" in English refers to a small group of people, but it can vary greatly in size. In the military, it is the unit commanded by a sergeant, which is the highest rank of noncommissioned officer (i.e. enlisted - did not go to officer school, which the next rank up, the lieutenant, did). "Death squads" are typically a term used for armed gangs that carry extrajudicial or otherwise illegal killings - i.e. the very idea that they are supposed to be police officers is ridiculous and therefore humorous. The SS, however, are an outstanding historical example.

---

-I have considered inclusion of foreign enemies in the Terra Vitae Mod. The problem (in the United States at least) is that dealing with foreign powers militarily is considered a conservative action, whereas liberals tend to want peace (again, this is a post-Vietnam change!).

-Liberal Crime Squad is set in 2009, not the 1970s.

-I fully agree that making a version of LCS that would be set in Germany would require quite a bit of extra work. Not to mention is the fact that the American federal government has a completely different structure than Germany, so the entire political system would need to be re-vamped!

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 03:39:15 pm »

So, nächste Version von Liberal Crime Squad ist jetzt zum Runterladen bereit.

Verbesserungen :
* Problem mit ausbleibenden Razzien gelöst
* Problem mit zufälligem Konzernchef gelöst
* Abstürze und falsches Geschlecht beim Verführen verhindert
* Viele Übersetzungs-, Formatierungs- und Rechtschreibfehler ausgebessert
* Behandlung von Sonderzeichen in Autonamen und -farben
* Mehr Anmachsprüche
* Anleitung übersetzt
* Bilder und Köpfe der Zeitungen übersetzt und verbessert :

* Neues Symbol, im Stile der RAF. Das alte Zeitungssymbol ist noch im Verzeichnis Workspaces enthalten. (Grün heist durchsichtig)

Hier noch mal die Links :
Spiel (ca. 1MB): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10984
Quellcode (ca. 4MB): http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10985

Viel Spaß !

Weiterhin möchte ich noch hinzufügen, dass das nur ein Spiel ist, und ich mich von den dort umzusetzenden politischen Zielen, insbesondere zum Thema Einwanderung distanziere. Auch beachten Sie bitte, das das Wort "Liberal" im Deutschen und in Englischen deutlich unterschiedliche Bedeutungen haben. Wenn Sie etwas gegen den Kapitalismus unternehmen wollen, wählen Sie die SPD oder Die Linke, aber auf keinen Fall die FDP. Das Spiel soll niemanden zum Terrorismus oder FDP-Wählen anstiften.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:01:43 am by Purple Gorilla »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 02:28:03 pm »

Translating deathsquads was tricky. Squad means Gruppe, but some moron translated it to "Todesschwadron" (death squadron) on wikipedia. Note, a squadron (in infantry) is much larger than a squad. So I simply invoked Godwins law, and made them the SS.

I also changed the executions a bit. On L beheading is the only allowed method (that would be the method in Germany, if the death penalty were used), while "creative" stuff like gas chamber or electrocution are only used at C+ (thought I forgot to add electrocution, so it is missing in the beta).

• Would "Einsatzgruppen" be better than SS?
  • If you want to play the Nazi angle, then using the gas chamber as C+ execution method would be better.

Good to see a foreign translation!
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Purple Gorilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 12:31:51 pm »

• Would "Einsatzgruppen" be better than SS?
  • If you want to play the Nazi angle, then using the gas chamber as C+ execution method would be better.

Good to see a foreign translation!

*Einsatzgruppe "Mission Squad" can have many meanings, like simply a longer word for squad, a SWAT-Team, or a navy Squadron or simply any mlitary unit so it is not obvious enough. (https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einsatzgruppe)
* As I wrote, Gas chamber IS used at C+. There are just many possible execution Methods at C+ in the english Version (like playing Bay-12-Games or licking Ronald Reagans butt, and I left it that many at C+). However, amongst the silly methods, anything used by the Nazis (Gas Chamber with Zyklon-B, Gas chamber with Carbonmonooxid, Lethal injection, Experiments with freezing or sewing together, or testing Sarin) is used too. What is just funny, is that modern USA only uses executions methods like gas chamber or lethal injection, that the rest of the world considers dishonourable, while normal methods like shooting, hanging and beheading are not used.