Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pots and barrels hold 5 units of drink?  (Read 3217 times)

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pots and barrels hold 5 units of drink?
« on: June 30, 2015, 04:33:20 pm »

Since every pot and barrel i have only holds around 5 unit of drink, i need approximately *a lot* of pots and barrels to hold all my drinks. how do i fix pls 2 hard

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Pots and barrels hold 5 units of drink?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 04:37:57 pm »

I think this is determined by the stack size that went into the brew job.  You get 5 units of drink per plant that went into the still, so buying stacks from caravans or having more skilled farmers that produce stacks should help.

I don't think there's any way to combine stacks of plants or drink, at least without hacking.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 04:41:39 pm »

I think this is determined by the stack size that went into the brew job.  You get 5 units of drink per plant that went into the still, so buying stacks from caravans or having more skilled farmers that produce stacks should help.

I don't think there's any way to combine stacks of plants or drink, at least without hacking.
That. If you're really tight on barrels (somehow, even though the amount of wood you get now is silly, and running out of stone is basically impossible), limit your farmers to only the most skilled ones, so they brew 4 plump helmets into 20 units of drink for one barrel. You could also use Potash to get even more out of it, but imo it's not that worth it.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 05:41:09 pm »

this is determined by the stack size that went into the brew job.  You get 5 units of drink per plant that went into the still, so buying stacks from caravans or having more skilled farmers that produce stacks should help.

Exactly.

Which is why embarking w/ a Grower 5 is key.

If you go into the {z} stocks menu and forbid all but the larger stacks before you brew, you'll find the contents going up, and your hauling and stockpile sizes going down.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 02:08:08 am »

1 plant => 1 stack of 5 drinks
2 plant => 1 stack of 10 drinks
3 plant => 1 stack of 15 drinks

etc, etc. your problem is that you don't have skilled farmers planting, or skilled herbalists picking wild plants. fix that.

yeah embarking with grower 5 is very nice. herbalist 5 is also nice.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:23:58 am »

But isn't there still a max capacity for barrels and pots?
And pots have a bit more capacity than a barrel.

IIRC, there was science done on Farmers Harvest only, using fertilized fields, and crop rotation (no same crop in consecutive season).
With some stack size x per harvest, a brew job was done using barrels, and using pot. 
There was a limit size to barrels, while pots seems to hold much more.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 03:01:36 pm »

There used to be a difference, but barrels were buffed in v0.40. Now, both hold 30 units of alcohol.

The brew job used to ignore the size limits of the container--you could brew [9] whip vines into [45] whip wine in a barrel or pot. Now, size limits are respected, so those same 9 vines will produce [30] whip wine in one container and [15] in another.

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 07:52:39 pm »

There used to be a difference, but barrels were buffed in v0.40. Now, both hold 30 units of alcohol.

The brew job used to ignore the size limits of the container--you could brew [9] whip vines into [45] whip wine in a barrel or pot. Now, size limits are respected, so those same 9 vines will produce [30] whip wine in one container and [15] in another.

More accurately, the brew job will brew 6 vines, producing 30 wine. Leaving a stack of 3 vines.
In theory the pot will hold 60 booze but the brew job is only good for 30.

kane_t actually made a dfhack script that combines plants into stacks of 12 and another that does drinks into barrels/pots of 30 (it doesn't do 60, probably because it would be a lot more work to check pots vs barrels in the stockpile I imagine).
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=151394.0
Been using them for a week now, both work nicely.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:54:38 pm by ldog »
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 05:47:56 am »

The brew job used to ignore the size limits of the container--you could brew [9] whip vines into [45] whip wine in a barrel or pot.
I don't think they actually fit, though. You ended up with a puddle of booze stuck in your workshop before the fix.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 02:14:38 pm »

The brew job used to ignore the size limits of the container--you could brew [9] whip vines into [45] whip wine in a barrel or pot.
I don't think they actually fit, though. You ended up with a puddle of booze stuck in your workshop before the fix.

The [45] stack fit in a pot, but not a barrel. So as long as your brewer happened to pick up a pot for that brew job, everything was good. If they grabbed a barrel instead, then you ended up with wasted booze on the floor, if I remember correctly. The stack splitting is a (hopefully short-term) band-aid to prevent the spillage, but it also prevents booze from taking advantage of the higher capacity of pots now.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 04:59:56 pm »

The [45] stack fit in a pot, but not a barrel. So as long as your brewer happened to pick up a pot for that brew job, everything was good. If they grabbed a barrel instead, then you ended up with wasted booze on the floor, if I remember correctly. The stack splitting is a (hopefully short-term) band-aid to prevent the spillage, but it also prevents booze from taking advantage of the higher capacity of pots now.

Again, there is no longer any capacity difference between barrels and pots. Don't believe me? Check one of your food stockpiles; both barrels and pots can now hold up to [60] units of food. (Barrels used to hold only [30].)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 05:07:17 pm »

Again, there is no longer any capacity difference between barrels and pots. Don't believe me? Check one of your food stockpiles; both barrels and pots can now hold up to [60] units of food. (Barrels used to hold only [30].)

If that is correct, then I do hope that Toady will at least update his quick hack of auto-splitting stacks for drinks to split them to stacks of 12 to fill the newly expanded barrels, or just have a proper generic framework to split stacks so the product fits the container the dwarf is actually using for any particular job.