Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to form a Cult: Round 4  (Read 14501 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Roll to form a Cult
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 12:47:29 pm »

(cleaned out some spam)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 01:09:29 pm »

Invoke disgust in my follower.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 01:18:35 pm »

Yes, you were once known as Zonbuk, the Tinkerer of Clockwork! It was that ignoramus Valundar the Wreckenator who did this to you, all because he's a damned spoiled brat and the ticking was annoying him.

But now you were back! And this time you would do it right! You would build the mighty Worldclock, True Prophet and Keeper of Time if only you could gain enough creative and logical energy from the clockwork inventions around you (especially the growing form of the Worldclock), and once more have your flock keep watch over the fools with their clockwork weapons and tools.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:37:55 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »

Yes, you were once known as Vashna, Lord of knowledge of Forbidden knowledge! It was that ignorant fool King Aruthe who did this to you, all because I killed all the overly ignorant people in his land including his only son.

But now you were back! And this time you would do it right! You would destroy ignorance subtly, if only you could gain enough illegal books, and once more have your flock burn the stupid.
(2)
The passage of Darnos has left the way wide open, and you quickly rush forward to take advantage of it before the Horrors show up and seal the hole shut.

You're not quite sure what happened after that, save a message floating in the breeze, a last sentence of mockery from whoever threw you in front of that asteroid. "Aruthe sends his regards".

You appear to be in the capital of that cursed kingdom Aruthe once ruled, his far-off descendants seeming to have inherited his idiocy, probably through inbreeding. You watch in horror as messengers arrive, panting, bearing news that the great library-city of the neighbouring kingdom has been burned to ashes.

The High-Priest of Mezujin, whose influence had been on the wane ever since he lost the ability to perform miracles, is quick to grab this opportunity, claiming that it is an act of Umbral Luminescence. Only through the darkness of ignorance can true enlightenment be attained!

He easily manipulates the childlike King Arun to his will, jockeying for control with the various viziers, gaining permission to have the Church's Bookburning squads scour the land, stamping out all forbidden knowledge.

As you watch lovingly written tomes of forgotten knowledge burn, you cannot help but notice the people desperately trying to hide select manuscripts from the book-hunters. You would like to do something to help them, but whatever happened has left you so weak.

You might only have one chance at this.

You are a starving Fallen God (3% Satiation, Rank 0, 0 Worshippers). You are near powerless in the physical world, your only hope to interact with those vanishingly rare individuals who have spirit sight.

With your sphere of knowledge, you can spend your divine power to delve into the communal unconscious to discover general facts that might otherwise elude you, such the religious laws of the Church of the Umbral Luminescence, or force knowledge best left forgotten into the minds of mortals, granting them mental information beyond their understanding. Also other stuff, like erasing knowledge of what books look like from a bookhunter about to find someone.

Yes, you were once known as Zonbuk, the Tinkerer of Clockwork! It was that ignoramus Valundar the Wreckenator who did this to you, all because he's a you damned spoiled brat and the ticking was annoying him.

But now you were back! And this time you would do it right! You would build the mighty Worldclock, True Prophet and Keeper of Time if only you could gain enough creative and logical energy from the clockwork inventions around you (especially the growing form of the Worldclock), and once more have your flock keep watch over the fools with their clockwork weapons and tools.
(1)

You titter as you see that bookish fool Vashna get blindsided by the Lurker, who had only been pretending to be asleep for quite some time. He should have gotten a sleeper-detecting clock like you had. Yes, now you only had to slip under your clockwork cloaking cloak, and sneak past the Lurker. Easy as creating pocket-watch!

Well until you hear a rather unpleasant chorus of wailing screams chant behind you, "I can still hear you ticking stupid".

You try your best to forget the world of pain you endured after that, before the celestial configurations forced you through the steadily shrinking hole in the Aether Prison, wrenching you from the grasp of the Lurker.

You're mechanical limbs are barely functional when you crash down in murky swamp, a lone-swamp squid basking in some mud your only companion. You cannot help but be slightly surprised when he reacts violently to your crashing into the swamp, seemingly able to detect your presence. Interesting, a psychic? You could have a use for him...

Unfortunately, he seems to be swimming away from you, squawking something about swamp gods.

You are a starving Fallen God (2% Satiation, Rank 0, 0 Worshippers). You are near powerless in the physical world, your only hope to interact with those vanishingly rare individuals who have spirit sight.

Your sphere of clockwork allows you to do clockworky stuff I guess. I can't really come up with anything, be creative.

EDIT: Made some serious errors here and there, may want to reread
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:05:23 pm by Demonic Spoon »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 01:53:12 pm »

"Come on man! Please! I'm not a swamp god. And I'm going to die!"

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 02:06:02 pm »

Vashna will attempt to erase the existence of the Umbral Luminescence in the mind of High-preist Mezujin thus causing him to lose his position.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 02:24:16 pm »

]Reanimate the thing in the burial mound as a thinking Wright. Examine the mound/surrounding areas.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 02:44:01 pm »

Invoke disgust in my follower.
(10)
The boiling dissatisfaction for reality in general that the man possesses froths to new heights. He is wonderfully overripe, rotting, ready to be introduced to the ways of Vitriol. You need but speak the words, you know it in your bones.

His suffering sustains you, some of your wounds scabbing over.

You are a starving Fallen God (5% Satiation, Rank 0, 0 Worshippers).

"Come on man! Please! I'm not a swamp god. And I'm going to die!"
( 8 )
Your words course through him with effects similar to lightning. Which gives you some ideas, mmm.

Hesitantly, he speaks to himself in his strange disjointed clicking language, seeming to ignore you.

"Not swamp god? Is god, is in swamp. Does think Nectha is an idiot-squid? Is not idiot-squid. Pull the other one, it's a beak. Things die all the time, especially gods. Why should Nectha care? Still, Nectha is true altruist-squid. Will take to the spirit-feeding shaman, you form contract yes? Do not die yes?"

He then gestures for you to follow him, which you hesitantly do, warped gears causing you to walking in a drunken stagger.

It soon becomes apparent that he is the apprentice of this shaman, who seems dismissive of feeding you anything. "Pathetic Has-Been with delusions of grandeur, not worth the effort yes? Still, might be good practise for Nectha. Form contract with Nectha, prolong your pathetic existence yes? Don't worry, do not judge, blood-sucking parasites are important part of ecosystem yes?"

They seem to be awaiting your decision on forming a contract with Nectha. While you're not clear on the details, it seems to be merely be a formalized version of the relationship you have with regular worshipers, with you being bound to give certain benefits to the other party in exchange for worship and offerings. You fear you may not have much choice in the matter, with your situation as it is. On the other hand, the crotchety old shaman's hut isn't far from what appears to be the rest of the swamp-squid hamlet, you could try you luck with finding a more... appreciative follower among the rest of the populace. It'd be quire a gamble though.

You are a starving Fallen God (1% Satiation, Rank 0, 0 Worshippers).

Vashna will attempt to erase the existence of the Umbral Luminescence in the mind of High-preist Mezujin thus causing him to lose his position.
((Clever!  :) ))
(19)

High Priest Forbez was an ambitious man. That ambition had taken him far in the church, and he had long learned to conceal passion for power as religious zeal. It was for this reason that he was currently on a pulpit, haranguing the masses to discard the false knowledge of the world as the lies they were, so that they would gain the heavenly enlightenment from Mezujin. The more uneducated his flock, the easier to lead they were, the greater his control over him, the less they questioned him. It was fortunate that Mezujin doctrine could be twisted so easily to serve him.

"And so you must cast down the philosophers, for they consort with demons to take the rightful position of our lord... our lord... ah. It was on the tip of my tongue"

It was thus rather unfortunate for Forbez, that all knowledge related to the god he nominally worshiped was wiped from his mind mid-speech. Oh he recovered beautifully, telling the people to go forth and do the good works before retreating rapidly, but he couldn't conceal something like this from his fellow clergymen, and did not have nearly enough time to relearn religious scripture.

Unfortunately for Forbez, his enemies in the church seized this moment of weakness with alacrity. They claimed it was clear as day was night that Forbez never worshiped Mezujin in the first place, and had consorted with demons to gain his current exalted position. The church fell into a frenzy of internal purges as suspected demon-worshipers were arrested left and right. While the book-burnings are still ongoing, they have greatly lessened in scope.

The entire proceeding reached a crescendo when Forbez is publicly burned at the stake, having been reduced to a gibbering idiot by secret vicious interrogations to prove his allegiance to demonic powers.

The sudden rift in the church shortly after they began massive bookhunts did not go unnoticed. And one of the more eccentric book-collectors of the Aruthe Kingdom (you couldn't help but shudder in anger when you learned they had renamed the place in honour of that idiot, considering he managed to seal away a god and all), couldn't help but notice the parallels to old legends in one of his books, of the great Satan that the mythical Aruthe had defeated in ages past, he who protected evil books and burned the enlightened with hellfire.

He is still so very ignorant, but enthusiastic. You have gained your first worshiper in far too long. Sadly, his attempt to convert his fellow bookworms has so far been failing, dismissed at the ramblings of an old lunatic.

The many illegal books in your worshiper's collection sustain you slightly, preventing you from succumbing further to the weakness that had been bored into your bones by... whatever happened back during your prison break.

You are a starving Poltergeist (3% Satiation, Rank 1, 1 Worshippers). ((I'm going to be adding general rank information to the op from now on, will be editing in soonish))

As a poltergeist of knowledge you can, absorb knowledge from entire libraries in one go. Copy small libraries over into prepared parchment, translate such copied works during the translation process and bless single books with your protection, making them unable to burn.

((And done with the first round. Will be getting started on the second))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:20:39 pm by Demonic Spoon »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 03:11:11 pm »

"I don't know anything about bloodsucking parasites! I do clockwork! I'm a clock god. I'd be happy to help you make some magic clock-related things in exchange for you makinging magic clock-related things."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 03:26:21 pm »

Speak to Borgun in his dreams, telling him to spare the farmers for now, for the greater destruction in future.

Speak also to the farmers in their dreams, informing them that the majority of the world is as sinful as the city, and that Borgun is a messenger of my holy word - to destroy all to cleanse the slate. They should aid him, and give tribute to me, for becoming a member of my faith is the most right decision one could make.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lalasa

• Bay Watcher
  • And then there will be none
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 03:28:24 pm »

Yes, I was once known as Hoardum, God of Greed and Head Collector of Wealth! It was that enlightened fool Xin the Prophetic Monk who sealed me away, all because he believed that man would never progress without strife as long as he was fixated on material gain.

But now I am back to take what is rightfully mine! And this time I'd do it right! I would make myself and my rebuilt paradise own all the riches that this world has to offer, if only I could gain enough gold/jewels/ivory/silk/other valuables beneath my jurisdiction, and once more have my flock revel in greed, indulgence, and hedonism!

((I hope this is an alright submission, as this game looks really fun!))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 03:33:34 pm »

Yes, I was once known as Hoardum, God of Greed and Head Collector of Wealth! It was that enlightened fool Xin the Prophetic Monk who sealed me away, all because he believed that man would never progress without strife as long as he was fixated on material gain.

But now I am back to take what is rightfully mine! And this time I'd do it right! I would make myself and my rebuilt paradise own all the riches that this world has to offer, if only I could gain enough gold/jewels/ivory/silk/other valuables beneath my jurisdiction, and once more have my flock revel in greed, indulgence, and hedonism!

((Greed and Contempt go hand in hand. Your god and mine are going to get along nicely, I think. Or as nicely as the two can.))

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »

(I am getting really good rolls! :D)

I send a dream to Argul's son. The dream is an image of my sword, resplendent in its own glory. It is being wielded by the silhouette of a woman, a single word loudly whispered by my own voice: "Ea"
(18)

Argul's son has a strange dream, of the sword of his god, being wielded by woman. He awakens soaked in sweat. He had seen that word somewhere before, he knew it. Stumbling out of his room, still half-asleep, he staggers through the halls of the building to the room of his nephew, barging inside. Ignoring the muffled protest of his nephew, still hard at work trying to re-assemble pages by lantern light, he pushes the younger man away feverishly, scrabbling through scraps of paper until a he finds a small piece, half of a sword visible on what remains of the paper, with two letters scribed below it.

"Ea".

He knew that word was somehow important, very important. He felt respect for his nephew well up inside him, he who had been so faithfully pursuing this lead for their god, even as the rest of the family muttered about his eccentricity, not seeing the value of old book scraps recovered from Mezujin sackings of the last temple that had still been dedicated to Asarias.

You are a hungry Poltergeist (18% satiation, Rank 1, 5 Worshipers)
]Reanimate the thing in the burial mound as a thinking Wright. Examine the mound/surrounding areas.
(1)

The re-animation goes well. Perhaps too well. You infuse necromantic energies into the coffin within the central, and only, burial chamber of the barrow, even as you study depictions of fields of flowers carved into the walls...

Wait a minute.

Oh no.

The lid of the coffin slides off, the shriveled husk of a humanoid rising from its not so eternal resting place. You feel what control you had over the wight slipping away even as you notice the dreaded pointy ears jutting out from the sides of it's head.

It just had to be an elf. Anything else would have been fine. It's just those poncy bastards, the personal pets of the Life duo that could interfere with your raising of the dead.

They never bury their dead, how did this happen? Why!

Even as a twisted mockery of life, you can feel the affinity for nature flowing from it in waves, the roots of grasses above quivering in delight at its presence.

It looks at you, and you know its ossified eyes. It was member of the group of priests who sealed you away at the behest of the Life Goddess.

"So. You have returned once more unholy one. Just as the Goddess foresaw. It is good that we prepared this trap for you. We knew you would not be able to resist your foul impulses to disturb the dead from their rest. Now, begone!"

A wave of light shines forth from the elfthing, banishing you from the barrow. You flee into the eaves of one of the buildings of the village, watching the elf mould a passage through the dirt with his power, walking in the sun, his flesh shriveling slightly. Yet you did your work too well, and his undead constitution is able to shrug it off. Flowers bloom in his footsteps as he makes his way to the village.

They react poorly at first, seeing a the mummified corpse of a knife-ear waltzing into the village.

Yet the pitchfork flailing mob were quickly pacified as he caused the fields to burgeon with a new harvest with a simple wave of his hand.

That bastard is ensconced in the church even now, no doubt strengthening the wards further, turning the place into an impregnable fortress. Your first chance to turn the people away from the Life Goddess has been snatched away, but perhaps you can yet snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Whatever his allegiance, the elf is still a thing of death. He is the very enemy of the deity he worships. You can build on this dichotomy, spreading the dogma of undeath to the people, using their savior to help sway them. Or you could do something else.

You are a ravenous Poltergeist (8% satiation, Rank 1, 1 Worshiper)

"I don't know anything about bloodsucking parasites! I do clockwork! I'm a clock god. I'd be happy to help you make some magic clock-related things in exchange for you makinging magic clock-related things."
(5)
They seem to take this as acceptance, and begin their strange rituals. Herbs are burnt, and at your urging crude mud gears are made, fitted to reed axles. Your new partner does not seem to truly worship you, seeing you merely as a useful ally, but this strange contract seems to have halted your loss of satiety. You are stable for now, on the brink of oblivion. Now you must recover, and finally begin building your Magnum Opus, the Worldclock!

Nectha asks that you help him acquire the heart of this female-squid he likes in exchange for saving your life.

You are a starving Fallen God (1% Satiation, Rank 0, 0 Worshippers).

Speak to Borgun in his dreams, telling him to spare the farmers for now, for the greater destruction in future.

Speak also to the farmers in their dreams, informing them that the majority of the world is as sinful as the city, and that Borgun is a messenger of my holy word - to destroy all to cleanse the slate. They should aid him, and give tribute to me, for becoming a member of my faith is the most right decision one could make.

(8-1)
You murmur to Borgun, fever dreams making him moan in his sleep. He got the message, probably. But is still far from recovering from his collapse.

(12-1)
You words serve to confirm their worldviews, further cementing their faith in you, making it less likely that they will stray, but not particularly strengthening their belief or anything of that sort. They are too poor to afford proper medical attention for Borgun, and continue to slowly nurse him back to health. The sheer lack of destruction going on deepens your hunger for the same.

You are a peckish poltergeist (28% Satiation, Rank 1, 4 (3) Worshipers)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 03:46:02 pm by Demonic Spoon »

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 03:54:11 pm »

I lean over, and whisper into the man's ears.

"You have a choice now: you may give up, and concede your life to this cruel desert. After all, there is nothing left for you here; might as well give up on this meaningless life and let your wretched soul descend to some danker, darker hell than this one.

Or, you can take up the righteous path of vengeance... the path of hate. The path of Ira-Erazmin. You can have your way with the world, gouge its eyes just as it gouged yours. All you need do is pray to Vitriol, pray by its true name... Worship the truest of gods, that primal bastion of hate. Pray to Ira-Erazmin.

Whisper words of venom, let it be.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:08:58 pm by DoctorMcTaalik »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 04:01:44 pm »

(11)

The lurker is fully awake and once more guarding the way with his full vigilance. Fortunately you prepared for this. Pulling your last remaining material wealth from an internal stomach, you manage to bribe the Lurker to let you pass unhindered. After that it was a bit of a struggle to break through to the mortal world, but you managed well enough.

Your chubby hands rub together in anticipation, though you cannot help but mourn the lack of bejeweled rings to adorn them. You then conjure up an illusory phoenix to transport you in style to the lair of your first, and only surviving follower.

Ah, good old Turm, you're sure he'd welcome you back with open arms, if only for his own greed, yes. You're certain nothing can go wrong.

You feared things might have gotten off on the wrong foot when you walked in on Turm taking a bath in molten gold, but fortunately dragons aren't ones for modesty. Unfortunately, things did get off on the wrong foot after that.

"Well look at you Hoardum. Not so high and mighty now eh? Come crawling back to me to take you in? After you had me give up parts of my hoard to you in exchange for protection from adventurers? Don't think I forgot how you extorted protection money from me. Oh no, Turm remembers, Turm remembers well. And after I helped you get started up in the first place."

Ah, yes, something like that might have happened at one point in time. But you rather hoped bygones would remain bygones. Still, the fact that Turm still seems to actually be your worshiper might indicate that there is some room for negotiation here. Nevertheless, dragons are as prideful as they are greedy, so you might need to be diplomatic about this.

You are a Ravenous poltergeist (12% Satiation, Rank 1, 1 Worshiper)

Your sphere of Greed allows you to make greed overpower a group of adventurer's better judgement, discern the value of powerful artifacts, estimate the value of a large collection of objects at a glance, detect mineral veins and buried treasure, figure out ways to bypass the protections of treasure vaults, and gives an edge when dabbling in business.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 04:20:01 pm by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12