Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Create a necromancer civ  (Read 3168 times)

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Create a necromancer civ
« on: July 02, 2015, 06:33:43 am »

Hey guys ! Sorry for my (relatively) bad english, I'm french.

With a friend, we're trying to create some White Walkers, because... Because White Walkers.
So, for now, it seems to work.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/27/1435832576-whitewalker.png (He's terrifying, isn't he ? :b)

They are made of steel, so only adamantine can hurt them (we renamed it "Valyian steel").

But, to be perfect, they must be able to ressurect corpses, like necromancer.
So that is my question: is it possible to have all the population necromancer ? Like the [NATURAL_SKILL] token ?
I gave them the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] token but i'm not sure (at all) it will work.

Thanks !
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 07:41:02 am by Kait »

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Create a necromancer civ
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 07:14:46 am »

OPPOSED_TO_LIFE make them hostile to anything but NOT_LIVING creatures.
To make them able to animate corpse, you must make an animation interaction called, say, RAISE_CORPSE and give them the [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:RAISE_CORPSE] along with the related tokens. You can find an example of such interaction in your interaction example folder(in the interaction_secret file).

All you need can be found here: interaction tokens and here: syndromes tokens.

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 07:41:55 am »

Exactly what I need !

Thank you.

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:19:37 am »

You might want to give them a custom Secret interaction(i.e. like the necromancer example in the example interacts folder, remember to make its 'child' custom RAISE interaction too).

You will want to do this to add the [NO_AGING] tag which can only be applied by interactions and syndromes. That plus [NOT_LIVING] allows them to avoid being automatically hostile to the Undead. Do Not give them [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] if you want them to be playable in Fortress mode(a fort auto-fails if all citizens are opposed to life for some reason).

After you have made the custom secret interaction(and placed it into the standard interacts RAW or a custom [INTERACTION:x] Raw) make sure your creatures have the matching [SPHERE:x] token(s) and the [SUPERNATURAL] token so all members auto-learn the secret.

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 02:44:33 pm »

Erh, little problem.

Lukander, I tried what you said, but I tested in Arena and the whitewalker haven't the power.

I tried to give [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:WHITE_RAISE] to the creature.

And the interaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but in this case, they can reanimate corpse anywhere on the map,you imagine the nighmare in fortress mode, when they attack you :b

So I add some tag:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But now, they don't reanimate at all !

And I don't understand why :b

Thanks !

Usul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 05:15:20 pm »

An interaction is made in two steps.
What you had first was fine:
Code: [Select]
INTERACTION:WHITE_RAISE]
[I_TARGET:A:CORPSE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_ITEM]
[IT_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[IT_REQUIRES:FIT_FOR_ANIMATION]
[IT_FORBIDDEN:NOT_LIVING]
[IT_MANUAL_INPUT:corpses]
[I_EFFECT:ANIMATE]
[IE_TARGET:A]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Animated corpse]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:165:3:0:0:FREQUENCY:2000:1000:START:0]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:300:1000:TOUGHNESS:300:1000:START:0]
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:60:START:0]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:LIKES_FIGHTING:MISCHIEVOUS:START:0]
Then you need to add the some lines in the creature raws that will precise how the interaction is used. So you add what you added before I_TARGET under the [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:WHITE_RAISE] token, in the creature raws (without the [INTERACTION:WHITE_RAISE] line, it's used in syndromes, not here).

like this:
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:WHITE_RAISE]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Animate corpse]
no usage hint ==> they will use it whenever they can
                [VERB:raise his arms:raises his arms:NA]
        [TARGET_VERB:shudder and begins to move:shudders and begins to move]
[CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT] ==>specify what is required to use the interaction, here they need to see the target A, which is the corpse
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:15] ==>the range of the interaction
[CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:A:1] ==>the number of targets allowed for the target A, you can omit it and they will be no limit.
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:50] the number of time units before they can use the interaction again, in fortress mode 1 day=1200 time units

Kait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 05:04:44 am »

Work perfectly ! Thanks

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:14:31 pm »

The version Usul gave you is correct if you just want a creature that raises the dead... But they will still be valid targets for any [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures(undead or not), including their own(sometimes).

To prevent that make these two interactions(one is a variant of raise):
 1. this is the secret
[INTERACTION:INNATE_NECROMANCY]
[I_SOURCE:SECRET]
[IS_NAME:the secrets of life and death]
[IS_SPHERE:DEATH]
[IS_SPHERE:(any other sphere for your creature)]
[IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE]

(Add next two lines ONLY if you want necro towers)
->[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]
->[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_death.txt]

[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:SUPERNATURAL]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_SPEAK]
[IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE:(your creature ID Here):(a caste ID from your creature ~or~ ALL)]
[I_EFFECT:ADD_SYNDROME]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Innate Necromancer]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:START:0]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Animate Corpse]
[CDI:INTERACTION:INNATE_RAISE]
[CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:10]
[CDI:VERB:gesture:gestures:NA]
[CDI:TARGET_VERB:shudder and begin to move:shudders and begins to move]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]
2.This is the raise interaction
[INTERACTION:INNATE_RAISE]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Innately Animated corpse]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE(<-- you can remove this tag to make them less aggressive):EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
Note the parts in () are for you to read; they aren't code to copy-paste. Also don't copy the -> marks. Both should go into the Standard interactions RAW or into any custom interactions RAW you have already made.

On your creature you only need to add [SPHERE:DEATH], [SPHERE:(any other sphere you want, must match the second sphere in the first interaction)], and [SUPERNATURAL].

After this in world(and history)-generation all members of your creatures in (any) civilization will learn the first(secret-type) interaction automatically, which will grant the second interaction. To test this in the arena mode, it is like applying the necromancer(or any other) affect to something, in this case it will be called "Innate Necromancy" in the menu.

Also note, during arena mode testing the raised corpses will not change 'factions', but in adventure and fortress mode they will be automatically loyal to those that raised them.

Credit to Meph for the info/research about custom secrets for innate learning. He made his own necromancer civ that way months back(it might have been more than a year actually).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:25:42 pm by Lukander »

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:38 am »

The version Usul gave you is correct if you just want a creature that raises the dead... But they will still be valid targets for any [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] creatures(undead or not), including their own(sometimes).

To prevent that make these two interactions(one is a variant of raise):
 1. this is the secret
[INTERACTION:INNATE_NECROMANCY]
[I_SOURCE:SECRET]
[IS_NAME:the secrets of life and death]
[IS_SPHERE:DEATH]
[IS_SPHERE:(any other sphere for your creature)]
[IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE]

(Add next two lines ONLY if you want necro towers)
->[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]
->[IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_death.txt]

[I_TARGET:A:CREATURE]
[IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_CREATURE]
[IT_REQUIRES:SUPERNATURAL]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_LEARN]
[IT_REQUIRES:CAN_SPEAK]
[IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE:(your creature ID Here):(a caste ID from your creature ~or~ ALL)]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Innate Necromancer]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_CAN_DO_INTERACTION:START:0]
[CDI:ADV_NAME:Animate Corpse]
[CDI:INTERACTION:INNATE_RAISE]
[CDI:TARGET:A:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
[CDI:TARGET_RANGE:A:10]
[CDI:VERB:gesture:gestures:NA]
[CDI:TARGET_VERB:shudder and begin to move:shudders and begins to move]
[CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:10]
2.This is the raise interaction
[INTERACTION:INNATE_RAISE]
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:Innately Animated corpse]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE(<-- you can remove this tag to make them less aggressive):EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
Note the parts in () are for you to read; they aren't code to copy-paste. Also don't copy the -> marks. Both should go into the Standard interactions RAW or into any custom interactions RAW you have already made.

On your creature you only need to add [SPHERE:DEATH], [SPHERE:(any other sphere you want, must match the second sphere in the first interaction)], and [SUPERNATURAL].

After this in world(and history)-generation all members of your creatures in (any) civilization will learn the first(secret-type) interaction automatically, which will grant the second interaction. To test this in the arena mode, it is like applying the necromancer(or any other) affect to something, in this case it will be called "Innate Necromancy" in the menu.

Also note, during arena mode testing the raised corpses will not change 'factions', but in adventure and fortress mode they will be automatically loyal to those that raised them.

I'm glad I clicked this thread. This is really neat, and I hadn't heard of it until now. Seeing as [SUPERNATURAL] is a caste token, I'd be able to create a playable undead civ where only some few members have specific powers, right? One that doesn't cause me to lose instantly, I mean. Besides, this would work for werebeastry and vampirism as well, wouldn't it? Except a werebeast society would most probably fall apart...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:33:08 am by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Lukander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:55 pm »

Yes it would work for variant(innate) types of Vampires and werebeasts.

To prevent custom werebeasts settlements from collapsing simple make a variant werebeast interaction without it adding the [CRAZED] token and make sure the werecreature also lacks [CRAZED] or [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE].

on a side note if you want werebeasts with gender that are fertile(no fertility resets due to becoming genderless or opposite gendered temporarily) try this:
(Use I_SOURCE and I_TARGET above, i.e. like innate necromancy posted above)
[IE_IMMEDIATE]
[SYNDROME]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:(your werecreature here+_M)]
[SYN_CLASS:WERECURSE]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:ALL:MALE(or the ID of another MALE sexed caste)]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
[CE:CREATURE:(your werecreatures creature ID):(the ID of your creatures MALE sexed Caste)]
[CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:27:0]
[SYNDROME]
[IE_ARENA_NAME:(your werecreature here+_F)]
[SYN_CLASS:WERECURSE]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CREATURE:ALL:FEMALE(or the ID of another FEMALE sexed Caste]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0]
[CE:CREATURE:(your werecreatures creature ID):(the ID of your creatures FEMALE sexed Caste)]
[CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:27:0]
The only drawback is that very rarely female werecreatures can give birth to 'pure-blooded' versions of the Creature, natural(native form) members of the werebeast creature... That are also fertile.

The above assumes you have designed your own werebeast creature already or just for this. You can limit this further by using [IT_AFFECTED_CREATURE:(creature ID):(caste ID or ALL for all castes)] within the Interactions [I_TARGET]. You can specify multiple creatures:castes by having multiple [IT_AFFECT_CREATURE] tokens listing the ones you want, all within a single [I_TARGET].

It's up to you if the werebeasts are infectious. If you want that just tinker with a variant of the sample interactions_werebeasts bite interaction, then paste your custom version along with your other interactions in the same RAW. Remember to add [SPECIALATTACK_INTERACTION:(your werecreatures custom bite interaction ID here)] token to your werecreature's (infectious)attacks.

Credit to Meph for the info/research about custom secrets for innate learning. He made his own necromancer civ that way months back(it might have been more than a year actually).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:24:51 pm by Lukander »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 08:16:04 am »

More than a year. ;)

But I never made a werebeast civ... which seems interesting, although I'm not sure how that should even work. Instantly-healing civ-members that drop all their gear and go on a rampage once per month?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::