Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35

Author Topic: Immortalitytower; We Live, We Die, We Live Again.  (Read 84983 times)

TheCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Immortalitytower; Not a Tower, Life Expectancy Fifteen Hours
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2015, 07:27:12 pm »

I like the one of TaupeIV the best.
As it turns out, pulling every lever in the fortress wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like at the time.

faiy eyebrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2015, 12:47:15 am »

i request to be dwarfed as the most likely candidate to have a brick of garbo inbedded in their liver

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2015, 06:46:01 am »

My fingertips tell me they are all masterwork quality.  So smooth!
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 28, 2015, 02:31:25 pm »

Eldin shall be skipped, sayeth the prophets. The turn shall go to Iamblichos.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2015, 03:16:25 pm »

Sadly the prophets have screwed me.  I am out of town and not anywhere near a computer that could run DF above a slow crawl.

I pass and request to be bumped down to the next turn.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2015, 03:55:26 pm »

Sure. Contacting EoyaBosan.

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 28, 2015, 05:10:01 pm »

Hooray! I'd been looking forward to this.

I've had a look around the fort, and it's... interesting. Less blood/corpses/despair than I was expecting, so there's that I suppose.

Expect the first update soon!

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2015, 05:54:03 pm »

Well, I've gone through and dwarfed/redwarfed, hopefully, everyone who's asked at any point in this thread. If I missed anyone please tell me! Our new friends include:

Cherry Hearts II, Mason/Architect ♂
Maskwolf II, Axedwarf ♀
Salmenk II, Axedwarf ♀
Ampersand II, Miner ♀
Senshuken IV, Swordsdwarf ♂
Iamblichos II, Crossbowdwarf ♂
Fperson II, Weaponsmith ♀
Sarrak II, Swordsdwarf ♀
Hero, Hammerdwarf ♀
HiddenLeafGuy, Armoursmith ♂
The Hammer, Hammerdwarf ♂
Arkarn Cactuspage III, Swordsdwarf ♂
Faiy Eyebrow, Mechanic/Doctor ♂
EoyaBosan, Overseer ♀

If anyone wants to see their full profile, just say so.

And without further ado, the events of Spring...

~~~~

Hello everyone! It's me, EoyaBosan. I'm going to be your overseer from today, how exciting!

Now, it has come to my attention that there is a very grave matter hanging over our fair fortress. I see it in your furtive glances from across the legendary dining hall, in the way you keep your eyes on your feet whenever you pass through tunnels near the surface, in the way you lie awake at night staring at the ceiling. Yes, it's time to address the grey capital E in the room:

Our fortress is called Immortalitytower, yet it doesn't even have a tower.

Fear not! My first act as overseer shall be to reopen our fortress to the surface and designate construction of a tower over the existing trade depot. Now, unless anyone has any objections...

Unless anyone else has any objections... Well then!

Open the gates! Strike the earth! Pierce the sky! And get me a drink while you're at it!

~~~~

In other news, I've quadrupled the number of dwarves in the military, from three to twelve (one fifth of the fortress population!); three axedwarves, three swordsdwarves, two crossbowdwarves, two hammerdwarves and two pickaxedwarves - including me! This may or may not just be an excuse for me to wield the rather stylish artifact pickaxe I happened to stumble across.

I also moved the barracks outside, resulting in twelve new layers of vomit on the doorstep. Better we be dizzy and nauseous now rather than when the goblins arrive, though.

I went looking for some sand to make windows with (what's the point of a tower if it doesn't give you vertigo, after all?) but all I found was some boring, dull grey magnetite.

The moody farmer created a nice earring. Highest quality craftsdwarfship, menaces with spikes, you know the drill by now.

Military training and construction of The Tower keeps being halted due to a pair of harpies.

One swooped down into the courtyard full of training military dwarves, but then uncharacteristically flew away again. I realised they were both covered from head to talon in horrid goo, and had completely lost the use of their eyes. They didn't even know we were here trying to build a tower under them; they were just flitting around in a blind Brownian motion. It was quite relaxing to watch them, actually.

The harpies moved on, and the first layer of The Tower was duly completed, complete with statues and flashy technicolour gem windows.

But then, disaster struck!

Sorry, Zasit.

~~~~

Apologies for the uneventful update, but not a lot really happened. I'm sure it's just the calm before the storm...

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2015, 06:34:11 pm »

Would love to see full profile for my dwarf
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2015, 07:48:59 pm »

So is the dust still a death sentence then? I guess there's no reason it'd affect a dwarf differently to a kobold.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2015, 10:10:47 pm »

Yeah dust will kill you, unless you have hypergreat constitution, get hit by the edge of the dust, and miraculously roll away from the cloud as you fall unconscious and start breaking into bits. even then, you'd probably die.

Remember to link the backdoor staircase to the caverns, people. It will be great!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2015, 11:36:33 pm »

Eh you could get extremly lucky or unlucky and be put in a coma happens to dwarves all the time in succesion games
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2015, 05:31:20 am »

Yeah dust will kill you, unless you have hypergreat constitution, get hit by the edge of the dust, and miraculously roll away from the cloud as you fall unconscious and start breaking into bits. even then, you'd probably die.

Ah ha! So it survivable! (technically). We just need better constitution! What if all new immigrants spend a year working a scew pump. Get strong and tough. Perhaps in a few generations of dwarves they can just shrug it off.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

EoyaBosan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2015, 06:07:13 pm »

Would love to see full profile for my dwarf

Feast your eyes! The injuries are due to exposure to horrid goo, in case you're wondering; they don't actually prevent her getting around/hitting things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

~~~~

And now for the thrilling conclusion to yesterday's cliffhanger: will our hero Zasit overcome the dreaded infernal dust?

He is, after all, "incredibly tough" according to his profile. He tried initially to brush off the dust little more than an annoyance - though he also somehow convinced himself he was underground.

As an aside, he was only "quite durable" earlier. It seems infernal dust really toughens you up! Before it kills you, that is. And it did kill Zasit. Oh well.

With the change of season comes a certain change in the ambience of the fort. A faint tension in the air, a mixture of excitement and fear, an odd conviction that their everyday life is about to change irrevocably...

Never mind, false alarm; it was just a little boy having a strange mood.

He took a single piece of microcline and turned it into a lumpy stick. It's a very nice lumpy stick, but it's still not very useful.

My attention was drawn outside.

Dingos.

Ugh! That mustard yellow colour is just so gaudy. The fashion police military was immediately called out to put them in their place. Some rose to the occasion...

...and some didn't.

It's just as well that they managed to get some live combat practice in, because at that very moment:

His name translates to "Tunur Playflier the Mauve Sports", in case you were wondering. He approaches from directly to the east, leaving barely enough time to get all the civilians inside and close the bridges.

Salmenk II bravely charges in, occupying Tunur long enough to prevent him getting into the courtyard, but laying down her own life in the process. The civilians, inside, nervously bite their nails and exercise their democratic rights.

Blind swordsdwarf Senshuken IV is brutally torn in half.

Actually, given the past track record of dwarves with that particular name, it's perhaps not so very shocking.

Finally, the rest of the military arrives and dogpiles the ettin into submission.

Tunur remains conscious the entire time, kicking and screaming against the onslaught, but eventually succumbs to blood loss from his many injuries. The kill is awarded to Sarrak II.

After that, not too much happens. A farmer manages to geld a dog so hard it gets stuck on the impassable tile of a farmer's workshop...

...and another farmer spawns triplets.

Last but not least, a certain previous overseer's project to copulate with the world has been reopened. For those of you who have forgotten, the plan is to create an enormous shaft/tunnel connecting every cavern layer and emerging on the surface in the middle of the horrid goo. This would, naturally, encourage greater intercourse with the underground realms and their rich cultures. What fun!

~~~~

Finally, some carnage! And another dead Senshuken. It just isn't Immortalitytower without a few dead Senshukens.

Unless anyone objects, I'll redwarf the late Salmenk and Senshuken at the beginning of the next turn. Perhaps Senshuken can have a nice, safe, relaxing job as an engraver for once. Alternatively, there's an unnamed blind crossbowdwarf who's practically begging for a violent death...

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2015, 06:14:58 pm »

We probably want to grab a few stone blocks and start creating a flooring perimeter around the walls. Adding tiles in the trade depot building too. It's probably a good idea to avoid tree-related crashes down the line if we can. That's a job quickly done given the size of our modest outdoor facilities at the moment. It's one of the simplest things our blind haulers can do anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35