Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35

Author Topic: Immortalitytower; We Live, We Die, We Live Again.  (Read 85321 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Immortalitytower; We Live, We Die, We Live Again.
« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2015, 04:30:34 am »

Well, that goes to prove that Project Fuck The World is a success! We just need to not let the creatures run to the surface through the main fortress next time.
And what fun is in simply letting them go? Here, in MortalityTower, if less than a half of entire population dies - you're doing it wrong.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2015, 04:38:07 am »

Most of the best succession forts in the history of Dwarf Fortress have had survivor counts in the single digits.

This is, obviously, a good thing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2015, 04:54:58 pm »

Requesting a turn, since I finally have plenty of time and have figured out the problem that was preventing me from playing DF on my mac..

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2015, 08:19:27 pm »

Looking forward to it. In the meantime, there might be a bit of a queue for dwarves, since I got a grand total of two so far.

Asmoth's Ledger, Slate 25th.
A giant leech has been spotted in the caves. I'm reasonably sure that all the entrances from there are sealed, so I'll leave it for now. Possibly for longer than that.

Felsite 3rd.
The leech seems to have vanished, so I guess it's not going to be murdering us all in our sleep any time soon. Unless that's what it wants us to think...

Felsite 16th.
I've decided to clear away the trees that have been growing close to our outer walls. Our enemies could easily climb them and simply leap the boundary. Of course, no one can actually cut trees at the moment, but once all the corpses are cleared away we should be able to make some headway. Flame and Eoya have both started showing signs of blisters as well in spite of my warnings about the rain. I guess they won't be participating in the militia again any time soon.

Hematite 26th.
A pair of travellers showed up today, begging for refuge. I agreed, since it seemed a shame to let them die in the wilderness. All that I asked was that they do each and every little thing that pops into my head while I enjoy the safety of being inside the fortress. Xan II has been given a pick to dig with since Flame continues to be a good for nothing layabout that is going to find out how magma tastes if he's not careful, while Taupe V has been given an axe and started getting rid of our infestation of elf-nests. She seemed happy enough to be working outside, but that may be because the brochure that warns our new arrivals of the dangers of yellow fogs and purple rains somehow got tied up in some bureaucratic red tape for a few weeks.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2015, 03:11:01 pm »

Turn list should be up to date, unless I've forgotten someone. Flame is listed as killing Snang, presumably with his shield since he doesn't like using his pick for anything it's meant to be used for. Side note- I've just realised that dwarves are clearly all bending units sent back from the future. Sociopathic, kleptomaniac lunatics that stop functioning with no booze available.

Further side note: there's not really a lot to do with the fort going on. Everyone's occupied cleaning the stench of rotting bodies out of the place and going blind, so the tower's the same as before and there's not a whole lot of quality of life improvements going on. Ideally I'd use the time to do some worldbuilding and story stuff, but I'm not really able to be creative at the moment. Here's one day of summer.

Asmoth's Ledger, Malachite 10th
I've noticed that we're worryingly low on drinks. While the previous occupants were considerate enough to leave a well in case this kind of thing happened, I'm still getting what plants we have turned into booze to prevent dangerous knurd and disorderly behaviour. I remember one time I accidentally went without a drink for a couple of weeks while making sure my old kingdom's filing system was up to date, then the king interrupted me for some reason. My mind is a sober blur after that, but I do know that we had to elect a new monarch after that and I'm told I got hammered a few times before they'd give me a drink.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 20, 2015, 10:35:23 am »

Asmoth’s Ledger, Limestone 7th
The number of corpses we have to deal with has drastically decreased since we arrived, leaving time to do some exploring. So far, we’ve reclaimed a hospital, a room full of levers whose purpose confuses and worries me and a hallway full of fortifications that has ‘Hallway of Death’ gouged into the floor. We’ll be staying away from that last one for a while. In any case, while the hospital has an adequate number of (extremely dusty) beds, it lacks anything to actually treat patients with or on, so we’ve set about remedying it. Venturing back into the wilderness is tantamount to suicide, especially with the literally blinding rains, so we’re going to have to make this place liveable and that means more than just removing the corpses. From a purely bureaucratic standpoint, the removal of the corpses wasn’t strictly necessary, but the smell did get to me.

Limestone 17th
A caravan has arrived from the mountainhomes. At first I was surprised that anyone knew we were here, but it turns out that they had been dealing with the former occupants of Immortalitytower until last year at least, and hadn’t heard that everyone here had died. In any case, it turns out that the previous owners left quite a few valuable crafts behind them which according to the law of legitimate salvage now belong to us (note: I don’t think that the dwarves of this world have discovered seafaring yet, so it seemed best to press on before they asked me what I was talking about).

After the initial confusion was sorted out, myself and the liaison were able to exchange the news properly. He mentioned that someone named Tipi Touchbear is still at large, which at least explains why there are references to him all over that journal I found.

Limestone 20th
Another group of refugees has arrived from the northwest, right into a purple rainstorm. I’ve asked the merchants to take them off our hands, but they want us to cover the expenses from travel and food on the way to the mountainhomes, and that’s just unprofitable. Much easier to just force them into working for a living here doing whatever blind non-bureaucrats can do, like... chop trees? That’s something that blind people can do with no adverse side effects, right? In any case, Maskwolf III has agreed to help with farm work and craft some more earthenware items to sell, while Cherry-heart III will be smelting metal, which seems far safer for someone who’s about to lose their sight. Farms are dangerous. I heard of a man getting killed by a wild jumping bean once.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 22, 2015, 07:12:47 pm »

Could I be dwarfed? Maybe as a Furnace Operator?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 25, 2015, 01:17:01 pm »

There's an unreasonably long waitlist for dwarves at the moment due to everyone dying and only having one or two migrants each season this year, but I'll put you on the list.

Asmoth's Ledger, Autumn Review.
Autumn hasn't been a particularly interesting season, to my mind. Our memorial hall is filling up as we fill up slabs for more of the former residents of Immortalitytowers, but with the near-completion of our burial drive, we've been able to start shining up the place and assigning a few rooms and such to those who need them. The ghost baby that we briefly had a problem with seems to have been satisfied with the slab that we dedicated to it, though I'm not certain how it understood the writing or even what we were saying considering that it's a baby. No one has been blinded by the purple rain recently, which is nice.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #323 on: October 25, 2015, 01:22:01 pm »

if there no more people going blind, is it because everyone is blind? or are there other thinks blinding it?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:51 pm »

Let's see... about half the current population is blind. The rest just haven't gone into the northern section of the map for one reason or another, so they haven't been affected by the rain.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2015, 07:12:05 pm »

Asmoth's Ledger, Winter Review
As I plan to turn over control of the fortress to another, this entry shall serve as more of a reminder for me on what to point out when I give them their introductory speech. We are fortunately not haunted by anything any more, thanks to our increasingly large memorial hall. Half the fortress has been blinded by the weather, so it may be a good idea to screen them for sight before assigning anyone to skilled labour. We have plenty of food. I guess more booze never hurts. We should be safe from climbing invaders now that the local trees have been murdered, but a ceiling might be safer.

My apologies for the trailing off. I forgot how aimless reclaiming can be if you don't have a specific goal beyond tidying up the remains of the old fortress. I think it's hiddenleafguy's turn.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2015, 07:36:28 pm »

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 29, 2015, 06:16:01 pm »

Just read this, and wanted to know if I could be put onto the list for overseers? I won't mess it up much.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 29, 2015, 09:36:56 pm »

Certainly. In other news, HLG needs his turn delayed, so Maskwolf is now overseer.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2015, 09:09:38 pm »

Oh hey I'm here now, sorry, didn't go to Bay12 for a couple of days there.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35