Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35

Author Topic: Immortalitytower; We Live, We Die, We Live Again.  (Read 84979 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: Immortalitytower; We Live, We Die, We Live Again.
« Reply #480 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:52 pm »

Kamani's Journal
211-04-16
I have lived until Summer without major incident. Except some minor injuries anyways. Here, you have to be really trying to end with only MINOR injuries.

Lately, things have been like this:

An occasional minor injury, massive complaints, and constant masterpiece engravings and bone bolts.
Oh, and apparently, goblins are hidden behind a wall.

So, everything is going fine... Wait, why do I hear screams?

AGAIN?

Human Invaders from the North have come to destroy us! I locked them out, and I think everyone is inside. I am doing a headcount now.

Wait! Spriggans' Son and someone named Astesh are gone! I just learned that they are in the tower. I have a plan to get them out, but I don't know if it will be fast enough. Spriggans' son appears to be dying of thirst slowly. I will dig fast, and tunnel up.

I will write what happens soon.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 24, 2016, 09:38:58 pm »

Kamani's Log
211-04-24
It worked!

Spriggans' Son still lives! (As does Astesh, though they would have survived regardless) Evidently, he has been blind for a while, but he shows a ray of hope for those of us, showing both the Dwarven Resiliency and showing that even the blind matter here! No dwarf left behind!

Not much else has happened. Evidently Doc is still mayor.

And the invaders are just hanging around on top of the map for some reason. They are now horribly blistered and blinded. They will be too weak to fight if this keeps up, but I am terrible at handling military matters, so I might just wait for them to leave (Or die to dust).

I am glad we could save those poor kids in the tower. It shows that no matter what, us Dwarves will NEVER BACK DOWN!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: The turn should go a lot faster now that I can just set it up and leave it on automatic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:57:16 pm by Kamani »
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 24, 2016, 09:59:06 pm »

Seems food production is working.

No, no, those are not human-human invaders but goblin kidnappees. Would be "The enemy has come" for humans.

Oh yeah, sealed-in goblins in a 5x5, an eternity of card games and brawling. By the time they emerge in a thousand years, their culture will have become incomprehensible.

Spriggan's son survived? Does he still have eyes, too?

...Guess not. Spriggans was happy to have a sighted child. No more, no more.

The tower is pretty open to climbers. If invaders smell blood, they might come in through the tunnel you made.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 25, 2016, 01:54:48 am »

Noooo ! How did my son lost sight ? :o
His beautiful blue eyes... are gone ? ? ? :'(

* Spriggans starts gesturing in her tomb *
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:56:21 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 25, 2016, 01:07:13 pm »

Maybe it was the well being coated in it. Or maybe the nest boxes. Or maybe the dining area. Or maybe they touched a dwarf covered in horrible goo.

Lots of possibilities. Frankly, he's lucky he survived.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 25, 2016, 02:36:10 pm »

I pulled the levers for the trading depot. I don't think enemies can climb my constructed walls (just fliers). Also, the tower has horrible goo coating everywhere.
I don't know how humans were modded to be always hostile, so they might give the vile force of darkness message too. I don't know how that message works exactly anyways.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 25, 2016, 09:20:07 pm »

Kamani's Journal
211-06-13
Fortress Life lately:

Our mayor Doc (Don't conscript him. He hasn't given a mandate in 1.5 years) is an absolute idiot a brave soul. The fool brave dwarf ran out upon hearing that there was a tile that needed to be disassembled, even though it wasn't in the burrow AND emergency military burrow an engineer was trapped outside (I opened the gate to let him in. (I have NO clue how he got there either. I am still a little worried about that. Also, when you cut down trees above the fortress, watch for the holes.)) Now his hand is bruised and blistered because of the goblins who attacked him (He is lucky to be alive).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:01:50 pm by Kamani »

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 26, 2016, 09:23:51 pm »

Kamani's Journal
211-07-20ish
The siege is ended! An Giant Ettin came and destroyed the siege.

Then I saw my farms had been destroyed. And then, I got angry.

What's one Ettin, more or less?

We killed it.

And had a strange mood on an Engineer (The one who left the burrow earlier). Wow.

Who would have guessed that that foolish engraver would make such a beautiful piece of work?
Well, things are going better and better over time. We can now finally finish the Dome!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 26, 2016, 10:37:26 pm »

Hm, the farms were reachable by enemies? Troubling.

Heh, I like the direct view of workshops and surface. Argument for building on surface, or in a cliff :3

An engraver would have never done such a pretty thing. They were a mechanic all along! :)

Dunno what to use it for. Either a well...or perhaps as weapon trap somewhere? It isn't 43.05 so doesn't need artifact weapons for that :)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 27, 2016, 01:57:18 am »

It isn't 43.05 so doesn't need artifact weapons for that :)
I haven't played 43.05 a lot since no DT available. There is something IDK there.
Have built non-artifact traps changed ?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 27, 2016, 06:43:46 am »

Only the outdoor farms beneath the dome are reachable. Also, this fortress now used its military and didn't end up dead (again)! Admittedly, it was against a single blind exhausted blistered Ettin, so I guess that isn't very meaningful.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 27, 2016, 08:17:43 am »

Admittedly, it was against a single blind exhausted blistered Ettin, so I guess that isn't very meaningful.
That was not very optimistic...
You gotta be proud of your dwarves, and make them famous, lying saying things like :

Your dwarves killed a freaking huge two headed monster ! Their strength crushed it's body and they freed the World of this terrifying foe !
Without them, the beast would still roam free ! Glory to them ! Glooory !!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 27, 2016, 09:40:05 am »

Yup, Spriggans. When a weapon in weapon trap breaks due wear, the game crashes.

And hey, all military training is nice. Maybe grab something weak from caverns to train up armor user or something on?

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 27, 2016, 02:38:19 pm »

I think they need weapons more then armor. I have never used a military in dwarf fortress though, so... I will see who got the kill on the Ettin. Want to be redwarfed Spriggans?
Edit: Also,
The Horrid Goo killed a horrible huge two headed monster! The horrific powers damaged it's body and it (with aid from some wimps) freed the World of this terrifying foe! Without it, the beast would still roam free! Glory to the Horrid Goo! Glooory!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:55:33 pm by Kamani »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 27, 2016, 07:49:48 pm »

Hm, well, here's a small military guide, then:

Materials

• Edged weapons get massive improvement from quality and need to be better material than the thing they're hitting.

• Blunt weapons and armor get slighter and slighterest improvement from quality. Blunt weapons also effectively penetrate through armor, though are less effective the bigger the target is. 

- Armor takes same material logic as weapons, though stacking multiple things can ablate attacks effectively.

- Blunt weapons (depend on weight) and shields in this version largely don't care about material, though in 43.04+ wooden, leather, bone, etc. gets shredded easily.

Combat-appripriate outfitting

• The minimum for every piece covered with metal is boots, mail shirt, gauntlets and helmet, with replace clothes on. If you don't use replace clothes then they might leave off helmet, boots or gauntlets in favour of cap, shoes or gloves and die.

- The maximum native coverage is high boots, socks, gauntlets, mittens, two trousers, greaves, 3 mail shirts, 1 breastplate, 6 cloaks,1 helmet and 6 hoods.

A dwarf that lacks armor user skill and goes out with that will fall asleep from overexertion and get their head punched in, though, provided they put it all on in right order at all (might need to go through several successive uniforms for that).

• Against undead in reanimating regions, you need blunt weapons - I suggest starting with maces and upgrading to looted morningstars when possible.

- As far as edged weapons go, spears are good for big fleshy limbed targets like hydras while pick or axe (depending most on how you want to train your military) make good weapons for grinding stuff up.

- Ranged attacks are edged and horrenduously weak compared to melee ones. Still useful for things dangerous or hard to get close to, such as fire FBs or keas, as well as slowing down enemies.

• Because of a bug, avoid having woodcutters, miners and hunters in military - while the latter two make relatively simple way to train up the relevant skill, when going inactive or active they will drop their current equipment, store it as appropriate (with food in backbags stored in cabinets, not food stockpiles), and pick up new equipment when doing whatever they were going to do.

Training

• The minimum you need for melee military training is assigning 1 building as barracks to the squad and switching them to Active/Training. (Though if they are at least competent, they will do individual drills even when idle and inactive.)

- Giving them weapons and shields and a good trainer helps those respective things.

- Ranged attacks can be trained through demonstrations or drills if they already have some skills in them, but assigned archery range buildings (1 for each member), or even better, shooting at live targets help to improve the speed.

• Micromanagement-intensifely, you can boost up individual's skills with mock combat, or by locking them into danger rooms. This can change "two years" to "few months" for a nice military.

- Attacking harmless wildlife with wooden axe, sword, spear, crossbow (works as hammer) or two shields + some armor on can train up those respective weapon skills, or misc obj. user and armor user for the latter.

- Using repeating training spears can boost weapon skill, shield user, dodger and armor user in roughly that order.

- Two opposite-faced lowest speed rollers can help train dodging very quickly for the individual.

- Swimming in 4-6 water is useful for avoiding drowning in wetter areas.

• All military training gives a pretty good stat boosts, so they make for good, if time-consuming cross-training for civilians even if you never plan to send them into a fight.

- A legendary +5 dwarf likely has maxed or close to maxed attributes in relevant stats, which is like a night and day compared to something like mining or socializing.

Target selection

• Benign wildlife will rarely try to hit back, but hooved, horned and tusked ones can kill an armored dwarf due their large size nonetheless. Still, they usually try to flee and die before hitting back.

• Skill is a large improvement - consider how a legendary +5 herbalist is just in output quantity just as good as 25 dabbling herbalists. A single properly-outfitted legendary squad can slaughter a goblin siege with no casualties with reasonable terrain selection.

• Beware of steel, firespitting, webspinning or deadly dust FBs in particular. Poison gas can also be somewhat dangerous. If you're unsure what syndrome a FB has, test with a pet. Melee dwarves can't even approach FB made entirely from fire.

• Husking clouds can sometimes coat things they turn. This can spread on contact - otherwise, the targets are just buffed from what they were in life.

• For chokepoints, you might want to use traps instead of military. Beware of military dodging into a trap, or off a bridge.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:11:45 pm by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35