Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Comic Con San Diego 2015  (Read 1524 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Comic Con San Diego 2015
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:12:46 pm »

The 2009 thread
The 2014 thred

I'm in the waiting room. Anyone else?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Con San Diego 2015 Waiting Room Party!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:42:14 pm »

Had a lan party with two other people last year all hoping to get lucky and win the badge room lottery. None of us got in.

...but this year...

I am going to Comic con. :)

Best of luck everyone! Who else is going? Possible bay12 meetup at the con?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »

I'll be there!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:01:10 pm »

What are you going to wear? My last cosplay was Lord Il Palazzo from Excel Saga, since he's pretty much the only character I'm aware of with both long hair and glasses, but I'm toying with the idea of getting some bondo and building some mjolnir power armor.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Comic Con San Diego 2015
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 11:01:48 pm »

Not sure. I'm more often the handler for my group than in costume (I'm too lazy to make one, most years). Slight possibility of me going as a Sphinx operative from Venture Brothers.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 01:20:05 am »

Two weeks to comic con. I've decided to go as Jafar from Aladdin. Costume is about half done. This is the first time I've worked with foam. Also growing out a goatee for this, and I'm not liking it. It itches all the time.

Will only be attending one day, Saturday July 11th. My companions will be Ruby from RWBY, and..."undecided, but maybe Obi Wan Kenobi."

Mephansteras, you've done this con before. Where/when's a good place to meet?

Anyone else going to Comic Con this year? Time to speak up.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:35:30 pm »

*Jealousy intensifies*
I'm out of town that week. Have fun!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 03:16:38 pm »

Honestly, Where/When depends entirely on what people are doing. What panels you're attending dictates a lot of where you'll be and what end of the convention center you're near at any given time.
Come play Mafia with us!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:05:11 am »

So, anyone there yet? Mostly Mephansteras, I guess. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:15:17 am »

Oh, yeah. Spent the day wandering the hall and shopping. Well, mostly my wife was shopping. I didn't find anything I really wanted this year.
Come play Mafia with us!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:28 pm »

I'm attending Saturday only. Finished the worn part of my costume several days ago. Presently, hastily finishing my staff. Waiting for the fiberglass to cure now. Looks like one of my companions might be canceling, as she just returned from Italy last night and is dealing with jet lag.

Mephansteras: I sent you a PM.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 12:42:33 am »

Driving home from San Diego now. Meph and I missed each other. Pictures will be forthcoming,  but not tonight.

Looking forward to next year.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 12:59:19 am »

Pff, San Diego calisse de tabarnak criss.

I went to montreal comiccon.
Shoes...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »

Pictures will be forthcoming

So turns out I didn't get very many pictures of myself. But here are a few:

Here I am posing with Ursula. She was very friendly and we kept bumping into each other throughout the convention. She seemed like she'd make a fun con buddy. Wish I'd hung out with her more.

This girl came running up when she saw me and wanted to get a "Disney Villains" picture. I have no idea who her character is though. I assumed she was from the like one Disney movie I somehow missed or something, but nobody else I asked has any idea who she is either. If anyone recognizes her, let me know. I applaud her decision to wear tennis shoes. I was wearing four inch platform shoes because I figured Jafar and to be tall and intimidating.  My feet weren't bleeding at the end of the day, but the way they felt I was surprised that they weren't.

EDIT: She's Dr Facilier from The Princess and the Frog.

Finally, towards the end of the day I met a Jasmine and Aladdin pair. We ended up posing together for a while with me trying to steal Jasmine and hypnotize her with my staff. DIdn't get any pictures of that, but here we are after we bumped into each other again in the line for the Masquerade:

Apologies to the Jasmine I missed. One of the convention staff pulled me aside and said she had a Jasmine costume she was waiting to put on just as soon as her shift was over and wanted to take pictures. Should have given her my number, but just didn't think of it.

Also, a shoutout to the girl took took two pictures of me on the street in the Gaslamp district, "Ja far" and "Ja close" from faraway and up close. Hopefully somebody can find those on google. That was hilarious.

This was my first Comic Con, and I was surprised at how ordinary it felt. This is supposed to be pretty much the convention, but it really felt like any other convention I've been to. Actually, if anything it was a bit impersonal compared to Wondercon, Anime Expo, Anime LA, etc. In fact, the panels I attended were all especially bad, but most of the fun at conventions for me is meeting and talking to people. It seemed like there were far fewer people in costume here. At Wondercon, for example, which is operated by the same people as Comic Con, fully 80% of attendees are in costume. Here, it was more like 5-10%. For example, in the above pictures, counting only people in the background that I wasn't specifically taking pictures of, I count 22 people, and only 2 are in costume. That was fairly typical.

I'd do Comic Con again, but my impression is that it's more for the average Joe than for hardcore geeks. People in any given fandom who watch television shows about it, rather than for geeky weirdos to dress up and be silly. And the latter is more my style. It was fun being one of the more notable people in costume for once rather than being yet another guy in an adequate costume surrounded by people wearing 100+ hour masterpieces and $100 in makeup. But it did also make me miss the socially awkward camaraderie and impromptu dance parties in the halls of a smaller con like Anime LA.

But now I get to start thinking about who I dress as next. Thinking maybe Shredder. This is the first time I've dressed as a villain, and it's something I think I could do again.

Anyway, there's my brief con report. Glad I made it, sorry to everyone who couldn't come, and Mephansteras: charge your phone next time so we can meet up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 11:23:48 pm »

Yeah, figures it was the one day I forget to charge my phone. Bah.

But, yeah, San Diego Comic-Con is impressive mostly for the size of it. I've been to some other cons and none ever come close to the sheer amount of stuff going on, both inside and outside the convention center. That and all the random celebrities you get to see even just wandering the floor. That's always pretty fun. This year we saw Seth Green, John Barrowman, Bruce Campbell, most of the Agents of Shield cast, and Guillermo Del Toro, which is a pretty good round-up of people to randomly see outside of panels.
Come play Mafia with us!