Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone experimented with the explosive power of booze to make canons?  (Read 4221 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm a newish player and have yet to ever have my booze stockpile lit on fire, but hear it can lead to explosions, which of course could be harnessed for all sorts of fun purposes. I sort of assume all this stuff has been experimented with already though, so before investing a bunch of time trying to set it up, I figured I would see what others experiences are first.

What I am imagining is something like 20 barrels of booze dropped on a square with magma in it next to quantum stockpile of whatever you prefer. Things I thought of so far are coins, cinnabar, large iron serrated disks, cats, goblins and elves. It could all be contained to get things traveling in the right direction and of course to keep your living critters in the right place. It would require lots of set up and each shot would require a significant reloading period, but if you can get all your invaders in a nice straight line could be highly entertaining.

But like I said, I have yet to experiment with the explosive power of booze. Any thoughts?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm fairly certain booze doesn't explode at all - under any circumstances. Hell, I don't think explosions are really modeled in the game yet at all, unless you count cave-ins.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Booze does not explode. It burns well, but why would you burn one of the more valuable or important components of a fortress? Worn clothing would do just as well... but the single biggest problem would be starting the fire. If you are using magma, it is much more dwarfy just to use the magma directly. Same for if you are using a dragon or other fire related beastie.
This is a blank sig.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, I've seen numerous references to booze stock piles "exploding" but I figured maybe it was hyperbole or maybe people getting confused with other things that were going on. If cave-ins fling things horizontally maybe I'll have to mess around with them. Maybe it's time I figured out how to use the object testing arena.

And yeah the idea's not really to burn the enemy, there's plenty of ways to do that. I'm more interested in flinging objects horizontally at them at great velocity.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

And yeah the idea's not really to burn the enemy, there's plenty of ways to do that. I'm more interested in flinging objects horizontally at them at great velocity.

get minecarts and attempt crashing them into walls and stuff. read the wiki. keep dorfs away from minecarts
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile

Craft a simple minecart system with pressure plates, floodgates and minecarts for the best bull simulation.

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It occurs to me that mine cart cannons could accurately be described as rail guns.  XD

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

Load the cart with steel picks.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, I've seen numerous references to booze stock piles "exploding" but I figured maybe it was hyperbole or maybe people getting confused with other things that were going on.
If I recall, booze 'explosions' are just a chain of gas clouds from boiling a liquid. An extravagant way to deplete the stocks. As repeatedly stated above, kinetic weaponry is the domain of minecarts.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be pretty wild if the game would model explosion and compression, but I suppose that's a bit much to ask. I can't even imagine the insane contraptions that would built. I haven't messed with mine carts much. I guess it's time. Right after I finish sealing off large section of the first cavern.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile

Thanks, I've seen numerous references to booze stock piles "exploding" ...

They can explode into a massive, collective ball of fire, a chain-reaction of individual barrels, but there is no "concussive force" that would throw nearby objects away.

Possibly the most important piece of advice I can give a new player when thinking cause/effect in DF is DO NOT TRUST TO "COMMON SENSE"! Dwarf PhysicsR has no relation to the realities we know and understand in our mundane world.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

(o_o)             One could say that exploding booze is in fact...
( o_o)>⌐□-□   
(□_□)             ...non canon.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile

( o_o)>⌐□-□   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile

( o_o)>⌐□-□   

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile

Also of note, if you REALLY want to use fire, doesn't one of the coals have an under-magma burning point but above-magma melting point, in addition to having no HEATDAM value? (For those of you who haven't wrangled with the RAWs, it burns but isn't damaged- it'll burn for a few seasons at the least.)

Artifact wood items, however undwarfy, will never burn though- artifacts don't take damage. Use them to light fires (but still keep dwarves away. Unless they're using nether cap gloves. Then they're less likely to combust. NOTE: nether cap gloves aren't actually craftable. Only in arena.)
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma
Pages: [1] 2