Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EZ Pasture  (Read 1846 times)

ebadler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
EZ Pasture
« on: July 05, 2015, 01:28:57 pm »

You should be able to create a pen/pasture zone and set it to automatically include animals based off of what they are. The menu would look like this: create new pasture > what animals? dogs > what type? war > what gender? both > kids? no adults? yes
The current method of automatically adding animals would still exist of course
I thought of this because to me, the amount of animals becomes truly overwhelming and dealing with them is a pain. For one thing, I would like it if butchering pets was an option but just makes the owner sad. Pets tend to really get in the way and I wouldn't mind a "hazing ritual" for the new migrants if you catch my drift. Thanks

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EZ Pasture
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:22:10 pm »

Like a stockpile for animals.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:37 pm »

There could definitely be options in pen/pastures for that.

We already have had some progress with this, as now the offspring of non egg-laying animals are automatically assigned to their mother's pasture (they didn't do it before .40, I don't think).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:30 am »

There are some problems with it, however.

Grazers that have children still need manual pasturing to prevent over-grazing. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:02:55 pm »

You know how all your animals can magically find your statue gardens and dining halls to hang out in?  It would be nice if the ones that need grass to survive could find grass just as magically.  Then you could assign them to pastures if you need to keep them away from sieges or if they're overgrazing. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:25:47 am »

The player could set another pasture to "t"ake young animals from this one. Pasture could be linked to workshop, so the player can choose, for example, to produce llama wool instead of sheep wool. Minecart route could be set up so that animals could be periodically loaded from one pasture and dumped to another.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.