Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some more quick ideas - auto plant processing, transparent stockpiles, and more!  (Read 1832 times)

ebadler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

auto plant processing, don't cook tallow, transparent stockpiles, treasure stockpiles, tree bug

I have been a little frustrated by one industry in particular: the farming industry. I feel like I always need to micromanage it to make sure there are always enough seeds and that the harvested plants are constantly being brewed and processed correctly and timely. I also feel like I don't have much control over this industry as, for example, I can say "brew from plant" but not "brew from plump helmet." I think there could be a quick fix to this frustration. Somewhere, perhaps in the "orders" interface, there can be a section called plants. For each plant you tell them what should be done. Just as when there are fish, there becomes a job to process the fish at the fishery, the player can set this up for the six dwarven plants. For example: when there are plump helmets, brew plump helmets. When there is cave wheat, mill and brew it.
Even simpler, in the "kitchen" interface, just as seeds are automatically not allowed to be cooked, tallow should also not be allowed by default.
Finally, I think when you hit "q" on a stockpile, there should be an option to make it invisible. Just as you don't see a zone unless you are directly manipulating it, the same should optionally apply to stockpiles. Also, I think "artifact" should be a heading (enable/disable) in the "edit stockpile" menu.
Another thing which I think is a bug is that if one mines out the roots of a tree and then cuts the tree down, there is a hole in the ceiling of the room. If you cut the tree down first, this doesn't happen, but it's hard to remember and it tends to mess me up a little.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Farming in general, as well as cooking and such, are a common suggestion for stuff that need changing.

That said, being able to have my pig tails autothreshed and cave wheat automilled would be nice.

Artarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps we can see some of these quality of life changes when they get around to redoing the food system, which was a planned thing IIRC. the -Dwarven Syrup Roast- will be missed.

I could see an "a"dvanced cooking menu in the Still/Kitchens, where it then opens up a menu similar to the Jewelcrafting menu, where you select the ingredient from a list of available ingredients and then tell it to brew/cook that ingredient, this of course being in addition to your suggestions.