Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your best Nemesis (cough frenemy cough)  (Read 3228 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Your best Nemesis (cough frenemy cough)
« on: July 05, 2015, 05:43:48 pm »

Did you ever have the enemy you deserve?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Re: Your best Nemesis (cough frenemy cough)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 05:55:26 pm »

Most of my encounters with bad guys result in either my death or their death. The closest guy i got for a nemesis was a fire-breathing pterodactyl who killed my elf adventurer. I later slayed him with my pike-wielding human adventurer. 

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 06:30:33 pm »

I had a giant tortoise that caused problems from fortress mode to adventure mode. He killed my champion, my first adventurer, and then two more subsequent adventurers that came after him.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 07:26:55 pm »

Way back in the long-ago, there was a bandit camp. There were 60 or more bandits, many of them elite weaponmasters. No matter how many adventurers and companions I threw at that camp, I could never defeat them.

Of course, I almost always died horribly. Not much chance to escape.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 10:56:19 pm »

Most fun I ever had was using the "Fear the night" mod pack, and tweaking monsters
In v34.11. Raid a couple of towns with your champion necromancer adventurer, and wait for the goblins to come after you. After about 5000 companions,(yes 5000) a goblin army from the biggest region came after me. I seemed to have pissed them off.

Their 10,000 to my 5,000.

The good part about the mod? It enabled some of their warrior to be necromancers.
Necromancer war. I lost.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 01:23:08 am »

Back in .34, I had an amazing adventurer who had cleared  his home island of nearly every single threat. All bandits were wiped out, all titans were destroyed, and all megabeasts were killed.

Except for one.

I can't remember its name, but it was a bronze colossus. I was excited, as it was the first bronze colossus I had ever fought. I recruited a band of around 11 men, including my first companion, a skilled, scarred spearmaster. When I finally got to the shrine, I got a few strikes in on its arm, eventually breaking it off. It grabbed me with its spare hand and started strangling me to death. I was fully expecting that my adventurer would die then and there. But nope, my spearmaster one shot killed it with a spear to the head, chipping its soul gem.

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:09:34 am »

Most fun I ever had was using the "Fear the night" mod pack, and tweaking monsters
In v34.11. Raid a couple of towns with your champion necromancer adventurer, and wait for the goblins to come after you. After about 5000 companions,(yes 5000) a goblin army from the biggest region came after me. I seemed to have pissed them off.

Their 10,000 to my 5,000.

The good part about the mod? It enabled some of their warrior to be necromancers.
Necromancer war. I lost.

HOW did you load that?
Reading a thinner book

JayThePro

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERSONALITY:SELF_CONTROL:0:2:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 09:54:19 am »

If you ever get a chance to play around on your best friends Dual Core Xenon Sever computer,
Don't hesitate to load up DF and go to town. xD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 10:05:12 am »

The most fun i had was in 34.11 , running a dwarf adventurer with a few companions, i was set on hunting bandits and from legendsviewer i was running along the game, the one i was hunting belonged to the same group.
It gave that specific game some kind of atmosphere as if it was more than only a simple squad of bandit waiting in their camp, but as if it was all some kind of evil order taking over the whole area.

Then at some point and interesting and difficult battles in which i lost most of my companions, i was ambushed on the way back to town, and leading that ambush was none else than the whole faction mistress.
This upped the story in my head even more, i could imagine after so many times my party managed to twart the ambition of that order, it was up to their master to launch an attempt to stop my group before we were too powerful , and she came directly at the head of her men, i nearly felt it was the pinnacle of a story, the encounter and final battle between each other nemesis, duking it out for glory.

The battle that followed was simply desesperate on my side i was with my last companion, but in my eyes it was rather epic (remember it's 34.11, brutal , hard, nothing like df2014 easy/passives/"is that a weapon ?" battles) as despite being badly wounded my dwarf managed to kill the evil order mistress, a great feat at that point of the game (i didn't had much in term of armor and my skills weren't very high as i didn't grinded or exploited) considering 34.11 faction leaders are very far from the df2014 pushovers.
And finally died from one of the ranged bandit that had survived that fight.

To had to that game and perfect the tale, i played another dwarf on the same world, bent on trying to destroy the remnant of that evil order.
And somewhere in a camp, i met face to face with the ranged bandit that had killed my previous hero, man that was so great fun, the most i had in DF adventure mode.

I liked that story that happened so much, i wrote some mini report about it :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132314
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:07:09 am by Robsoie »

Anius Talewise

• Bay Watcher
  • Tango Mammam Mollem Bellatoris Germanici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 11:57:21 am »

I have a vendetta with this night troll in my first pocket world who brutalized my first adventurer in that world. I created a second one intended to avenge the first, but she accidentally ran into him prematurely and was killed. I was able to kill his friend the first time around though.

I will have my revenge!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:05 am »

One of my first adventurers once ran into a kobold swordsmaster.

After much trading of blows, I finally won. All my limbs were crippled except my sword arm. I retired that adventurer, satisfied.

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
  • The Truth is always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 09:14:04 am »

I only had a legitimate nemesis once and it was in .34. I had your standard human adventurer rolled up and I had successfully killed off a few bandit camps, so I had some decent items, skills, and companions. Life was pretty good. But I lost most of my men in an ambush I barely survived. As was common enough, twice my number of enemy goblins from some random faction attacked me as I was travelling the wilds. After killing some little gobbies, the leader and I clashed in the middle of the fight and scuffled for a bit before I chopped off his hand. He managed to get away and I didn't think anything of it.

I gather more companions and continue adventuring. Another huge ambush comes along and it's just as bloody as the first. Midway in I run into the leader again and we scuffle. As I'm attacking, I notice that I can't target one of his hands and it dawns on me that this was the goblin who managed to get away in the last ambush. Annoyed that he'd be so persistent, I chop off his arm (the one with the missing hand), but not before he bites off like one of my fingers and manages to escape again. I assume he bleeds out and this was a fluke.

RINSE, WASH, REPEAT IT HAPPENS AGAIN. This motherfucker won't stop coming back! And every time he comes back, we trade blows even more than we did before; he managed to bite off fingers, bruise some bones, give me some scars, and even bit me in the fucking eyelid (which gave me a neat scar, so whatever). We kept running into each other and just slowly hacking each other to bits. My entire existence was devoted to hiring as many men as I could and arming them through DFhack so that I could mitigate the enemy numbers.

I ended up chopping off his head during one ambush and that was the end of his life. And then I was shot in the head with a crossbow and fell down dead next to that admirable little green shithead. It was one of the cooler adventure mode stories I've had and I'll never forget how hellbent I became irl to kill this guy. It was pretty sweet to get so angry about a goblin this persistent. It's rare that you find an enemy in DF that you truly respect, even after you've killed him.
Does wisdom perhaps appear upon the Earth as a raven inspired by the scent of carrion?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 03:43:14 pm »

Put a smile on my face. I wonder what he looked like? Anything interesting in legends?
Reading a thinner book

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 06:24:14 pm »

Anba Beachcombed the Immortal Partner. He had, as I left a trail of bodies of megabeasts and wrongdoers behind me with my iron longsword, managed to kill an ettin, a vampire and a bandit leader with his silver axe. Then the report that soured my life came, halfway round the great mountainous ring that was the world. The last city job, in the catacombs of the capital of the great Northwestern Empire, which I had already rid, with the help of my partner, a vampire, an ettin, and many bandits, not to mention a few other megabeasts and dangerous animals, was to root out a shady band of criminals.

After much wandering, we found underground a long hallway filled with looted weapons and the bodies of peasants. The leader there was arrogant, spat at me, though his companions preferred to hold their silence. In anger, I struck out at the one I was supposed to kill. It was a long and drawn out battle, as his comrades closed in on me, and he turned out to be a great killer and hero himself. But I vanquished him, in that cramped room full of pillars and weapons and skeletons, and slew his five companions where they stood. Anba, in that amoral, dark, desparate struggle struck out at me, perhaps trying to kill the man he knew would become too dangerous for any follower, questing after ever more difficult kills, plotting to bring down gods. Perhaps he regretted the loss of a friend of his empire. Or perhaps he merely panicked.

In my rage, though I regretted it, and still regret it, and shall not stop regretting it... his head rolled. And, though too great a hero to touch, the people of that realm, not my home, but the only one I could take companions from, branded me a killer. I did not destroy the band of otter man outcasts I was meant to find.I eventually slipped away, going after tougher and tougher, mightier and mightier beasts protected by webs and scales and skin of rock and bronze. Some I could not best, some I slew, and though the companion who walked beside me grew to understand and even like me, enjoying the birdsong and natural stillness of the megabeast-controlled empty frozen south, she never forgave me for the murder of her countrymen. I feel, though, she grew to accept me, and would have retired by my side, especially as I slew her God and gifted her the statue it left behind, had I not tried to complete my loop round the great mountains and seas and empty spaces of that land. I broke through the final barrier of goblin scouts and ambushes and armies and fortresses. Like Anba, she did not.
One wheel short of a wagon

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 10:32:52 pm »

I only had a legitimate nemesis once and it was in .34. I had your standard human adventurer rolled up and I had successfully killed off a few bandit camps, so I had some decent items, skills, and companions. Life was pretty good. But I lost most of my men in an ambush I barely survived. As was common enough, twice my number of enemy goblins from some random faction attacked me as I was travelling the wilds. After killing some little gobbies, the leader and I clashed in the middle of the fight and scuffled for a bit before I chopped off his hand. He managed to get away and I didn't think anything of it.

I gather more companions and continue adventuring. Another huge ambush comes along and it's just as bloody as the first. Midway in I run into the leader again and we scuffle. As I'm attacking, I notice that I can't target one of his hands and it dawns on me that this was the goblin who managed to get away in the last ambush. Annoyed that he'd be so persistent, I chop off his arm (the one with the missing hand), but not before he bites off like one of my fingers and manages to escape again. I assume he bleeds out and this was a fluke.

RINSE, WASH, REPEAT IT HAPPENS AGAIN. This motherfucker won't stop coming back! And every time he comes back, we trade blows even more than we did before; he managed to bite off fingers, bruise some bones, give me some scars, and even bit me in the fucking eyelid (which gave me a neat scar, so whatever). We kept running into each other and just slowly hacking each other to bits. My entire existence was devoted to hiring as many men as I could and arming them through DFhack so that I could mitigate the enemy numbers.

I ended up chopping off his head during one ambush and that was the end of his life. And then I was shot in the head with a crossbow and fell down dead next to that admirable little green shithead. It was one of the cooler adventure mode stories I've had and I'll never forget how hellbent I became irl to kill this guy. It was pretty sweet to get so angry about a goblin this persistent. It's rare that you find an enemy in DF that you truly respect, even after you've killed him.

why do my adventures never get awesome........
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!
Pages: [1] 2