Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your best Nemesis (cough frenemy cough)  (Read 3227 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Your best Nemesis (cough frenemy cough)
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2015, 09:32:30 am »

Because the  game tries to kill you at every turn, not knowing some clever tricks to gets you killed. I had an adventurer who's nemesis was actually my previous necromancer adventurer (and his zombie army whom he abandoned) they started travelling the countryside hunting people....his abandoned army..... it was terrifying.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

LordBaconus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 10:29:27 pm »

There was this one time in 40.13 I was adventuring with my human spearman. I came upon a hamlet, and learned about a band who had been terrorizing the vicinity. I found their hideout, and was greeted by a troll. I proceeded to run the fuck away while stopping every once in a while to throw coins at the troll. Eventually he caught up to me, and although severely injured due to the coin-tossing, managed to exchange blows with me, until the unexpected happened. He knocked me out. About a day and a half passed, the troll beating at my unconscious body zealously, as a blacksmith beats at the hot metal, when the beast finally gave in to exhaustion. My adventurer wakes up, severely wounded, famished and dehydrated. I leave to lick my wounds...

After I was (mostly) healed, I came back to the cave. Indeed I found a band of goblins, one of them a vampire. The troll must have been their pet. I find it strange that they are at friendly terms with me, so I leave and come back at night to take them by surprise. I attack the leader first, but my blow is deflected by his armor! I have awoken his companions, and...

They all flee. I chase them down, one by one, except for the leader. I leave the area and come back a few days later to find the vampire goblin at their hideout... mourning. He spits at me as I enter the cave and swears and curses my name. But he does not attack. I start feeling bad about him, so I leave in search of other adventures.

A few days later, as I was adventuring, he comes upon me with a band of goblins. Me and my companions defeat them, and he runs away. He came at me several times after this, always on my trail. I never managed to kill him, and he never managed to kill me. In the end, I believe it was not he who was the nemesis, but I, who came upon his home and murdered his friends for gold, who killed his pet by exhaustion, who came to him in spite of what I had done only to rub it in his face.

I still feel sorry for him, and out of all the murdering I've done in DF as an adventurer, none made me feel as bad as this. He was a complete pacifist before meeting me. His first encounters with me must've given him some serious PTSD.

EDIT: big typo.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 07:29:53 pm »

Let me tell you the tale of Rith Portalbeast, the Triangular Shred of Focus. This happened in a time lost to legend, a time the poets know as "0.34.11." It all began with the founding of a fortress that would bridge the great river that ran through a desert of red sand that covered most of the continent.

Now, I see some of you at the back heading out of the tent. Do as you will of, course, but before anyone else mutters "this is the tale of a fortress, not an adventurer," give this old storyteller some credit; I know what you came to hear. True, Rith's career began in a thriving metropolis, but the wild places called to her, and after a few years in the fortress she was destined to seek out adventure, with the aid of the mighty god dfhack (who is said to have intervened exactly once in her life--and that once was simply a push to move her from the fortress into the wide world, no more).

Back to the story: among the founders were two raw recruits, Rith Portalbeast and Tosid Savagehammers. From the day their compatriots struck the earth, the two young warriors sparred together incessantly, for they knew that their training would enable them to protect the fortress from all comers.

As time passed, the pair both became legendary axelords. When the fort was still in its infancy, they managed, together, to break a siege with no other help. They each slew goblins, humans, brainwashed dwarves who believed themselves goblins, kobolds, and eventually the monstrous beasts from below the earth--yes, the beasts we all see in our nightmares and wish we could forget. The two trained newcomers to the fortress in the ways of axe, sword and hammer, until their fortress was known as the truest bastion of the dwarven people. Rith was hailed as one of the greatest tacticians of the age, and she was granted the position of Militia Commander, and Tosid, for his bravery, was called Champion of the Fortress.

Those accolades would eventually drive them apart. Whereas Rith continued to be the hardworking fighter who cared for nothing but the protection of her people, Tosid lusted after more glory. Statues of him were everywhere, and solid gold figurines of him brought top Urist from traders the world over, but even this was not enough. Now, when called to battle, Rith responded instantly, dismembering the fiercest Forgotten Beasts with her ⚙adamantium battle axe⚙…but just before she could strike the killing blow, up would saunter Tosid, who would desultorily kick at the creature, or bite it, or even half-heartedly hack at a finger. By long dwarven tradition, the last warrior to touch an enemy is granted credit for the kill, and so Tosid's name, not Rith's, was honored. Worse, if a lesser warrior than Rith was first to answer the call, Tosid would allow the beast to kill the recruit before stepping in to stop its rampage, thus garnering acclaim for wreaking vengeance on slayers of dwarves.

One day, Tosid's attention-seeking simply became too much for Rith. She donned her masterfully-crafted suit of full steel plate and adamantium chain, took up her ⚙axe⚙, gnashed her teeth (for she was a legendary biter, kicker and striker), and met Tosid before his latest statue (Tosid laboring, representing Tosid's joining the fort). Later that day, Tosid's corpse would be found, beheaded, slumped at the foot of his blood-splattered statue, but by that time Rith would be long gone.

Months later, Rith returned triumphantly to a human capital city from her latest journey, the half-rotten heads of a hydra in a bag slung over her shoulder. It had been a busy season--she had single-handedly slain rocs, dragons, cyclopes, vampires, lycanthropes, and most of the hideous titans that stalked the surface of the world. The humans declared that the Third Age of Myth had come to a close and that the First Age of Heroes had begun. It was with a light heart, knowing that she'd saved hundreds, if not thousands of lives that she came into the city, prepared to show her latest trophy to the humans' leader.

She trekked up the stairs of the tower, and just outside the room of the Law-Giver, she found it. A statue. A statue of Tosid Savagehammers.

In full view of the court, Rith Portalbeast, the Triangular Shred of Focus, slew the horrifying demon pretending to be the avatar of the humans' most beloved god and their loving leader. The court descended upon her like a pack of dogs, but she fought free and fled the tower. The last time anyone saw Rith Portalbeast, she stood at the foot of the palace of the greatest human civilization in the world, with every man, woman, child and animal in the city converging on her location in a frenzied bloodlust.

Most say that she died at the hands of the mob, but there are those who believe she made it out of the city alive, and lived in the wilderness for many a year to come, helping lost travelers and protecting them against the evils of the land. I, of course, am but a humble storyteller--who am I to tell you which version of the tale is true?

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 09:39:53 am »

In 40.13 I had an adventurer named Ibon Feralrite, Vampire Necromancer.

I mostly ran around a bunch of human villages and killed everything that lived with my shambling horde of the undead. Soon enough, I found myself at the major city of Weightgrowled. I was getting bored of adventuring and this was a big target that I had to try to take out with around thirty undead and my silver short sword, so I thought "I'll take out this last city."

We slaughtered everybody, I took the city for myself, then retired to play on fortress mode in the same world. An in game year passed before my fortress met its downfall, so I unretired Feralrite.

The first thing I did as Feralrite was leave my undead army to its own devices and head into the jungle, where I would spend my days hunting. A few days into this new adventure, a group of people approached where I had set up my campfire. They got pretty hostile with me, so I killed them, piled their corpses up, and burned their bodies.

But it kept happening, the bastards kept coming but usually alone. I'd be in the "Wait" screen and suddenly the little asterisks made a b-line for my adventurer. This happened twelve times, and they always failed. The twelfth time (Before he began his attack) I asked him who he worked for. He said the queen of the Accidental Empires.

So after disembowling the bastard, I raised all of the corpses available to me and destroyed the surrounding hillocks, raised the dead and made my way to the capital. When I began the assault on the capital city of Ralineko I had 90 undead behind me. We entered the city through the market, which engaged in a fight with my corpses.

In my few years of playing this game, I've never had such a personal vendetta against another in-game person. I just wanted to do some hunting! I wasn't going to hurt the queen, but she took the destruction of Weightgrowled to heart. I burst through the doors of the keep, covered in blood and my sword drawn. My undead were fighting in the market and cleaning the streets, so I was alone. With a quick look around I had located the Queen and sheathed my sword. I didn't have to kill her, just publicly shame her and get her to leave the city forever. She refused my requests for her to abdicate with a loud "Never!" that got the attention of all of the politicians and guards in the room. So I drew my sword, she drew hers, and the battle begun. She was good at dueling as she parried a many of my attacks and managed to get some minor hits on me. Then I cut her arm off and she dropped the sword. The guards and politicians surrounded me with weapons drawn, ready to kill. They closed in when suddenly my Undead run through the doors. They had finished off the market!

The keep was a bloodbath, politicians being torn apart limb by limb, guards heads being bashed in. The queen ran down a set of stairs and I followed her closely behind. I backed her into the wall, where I hit her in the head with the hilt of my blade and slit her throat. She bled out in front of me as I told her that Ralineko was my city now. I didn't burn her body, but I threw it in front of the doors of the keep.

Not much happened after that. I went patrolling the streets at sunset and found the war general who was hiding with some merchants, but after that I had nothing else to do. It was actually really fun, I wish I still had that save file.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 12:07:37 pm »

Thats AWESOME!
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: 1 [2]