Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Battlebots Thread: ABC Season 2 begins 6/23/2016  (Read 12206 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Battlebots Thread: Televised Robot Deathmatch Sim 2015!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 01:02:55 pm »

I've wanted to become a competitor before...

Assuming I build a robotic death machine, what would I need to do to sign it up?
Depends on where you want to compete. The actual Battlebots show is supposed to have the rules up on their website but they have yet to add it yet. Probably towards the end of Season 1 they'll put up that info. I know there's also various "small" bot tourneys that aren't televised, kinda like small fighting game tourneys. The Sewer Snake vs Last Rites video for example was recorded at Robogames in San Mateo, California, USA.

Generally there's weight limits and tiers based on how much your bot weighs, although they seem to have removed this from Battlebots 2015. Various other rules, such as no foul play like relying on nets or entanglement to render the other bot helpless. I think there's rules on weaponry, like no guns or electrical weapons.

Probably your best bet is to google "robot combat tournaments" or "robot fight tournaments" and look for events in your area. I've also seen various books on the subject of building robots for these kinds of fights.

Found the Fighting Robots Association which seems to provide info on standard rules and safety for building and competing, as well as track various robot fighting events. They also have a forum. I assume most of their stuff is based in UK, considering they track Robot Wars.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:24 pm »

Interesting. 

I will have to read more when I have the time. (getting ready for work)

I somehow doubt that there are going to be any tournaments in my part of mid-america flyoverland bible thumpsville though.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 01:15:00 pm »

Interesting. 

I will have to read more when I have the time. (getting ready for work)

I somehow doubt that there are going to be any tournaments in my part of mid-america flyoverland bible thumpsville though.
Probably have a better chance of finding something in the US than if you lived in, say...I dunno. Australia? Some small tropical island in the middle of the Pacific? Madagascar?

Could always go on a roadtrip through the US in the name of finding sick robot battles.

Even if you couldn't find a regular competition, robotics seems like a neat hobby. I was never super interested in electronics as a kid, despite my dad practically filling our garage and his workroom with the stuff. But now, after learning about ai and computing, and with the return of Battlebots and the upcoming Mech Duel between the US and Japan, robotics and electronics sounds hella awesome.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 01:18:48 pm »

What's not cool about programmable matter?

That's what a robot basically is, you know.  Most people just lack the focus to produce viable robots.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 01:30:07 pm »

What's not cool about programmable matter?

That's what a robot basically is, you know.  Most people just lack the focus to produce viable robots.
Programmable matter and making living things out of machines is totally cool. Little kid me thought it was cool too, but didn't care about the parts that made the things work.

I was a stoopid kid who wasn't that interested in all the mechanics of wires and computer chips and the science that made robots work. I was more artsy and interested in drawing and painting and stuff and ignored all "non-artsy" stuff. I did go through a phase years ago where I thought I'd build a radio controlled bot and find a tourney and compete, but it was a short lived phase and my dad did all the bot building anyway. I was all the energy bugging him to build it, I didn't know anything about the electrical and mechanical bits that made it work.

Now I'm more of a science geek than an art geek.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 01:39:43 pm »

For me, the joy was firstly in the ideas, secondly in the making of them, thirdly in the driving, and fourthly in the putting back together. Other people I competed against were very risk averse, fighting as little as possible, and then fighting to avoid losing. I took no such approach. Each robot was essentially doomed - I knew this. The trick was to enjoy the limited life each had, extend it at the expense of others, and to relish the creative engineering processes. Each success was satisfying, but the best bit was in having a creation junked, and coming up with a better idea for next time.
This is a blank sig.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 01:46:36 pm »

Probably have a better chance of finding something in the US than if you lived in, say...I dunno. Australia? Some small tropical island in the middle of the Pacific? Madagascar?

South Africa? No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask? :P

@MonkeyHead

Any suggestions for building bots and stuff? Always seemed cool to me, but I've never started.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 02:21:51 pm »

@MonkeyHead

Any suggestions for building bots and stuff? Always seemed cool to me, but I've never started.

If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to help, but my general advice to people looking to start out would be as follows...

The electronics can be initially a little scary, but 99% of things can be done with off the shelf components via online how-to's, which makes things very easy once you get your head around the basics. Sure, you can add gyros, multi channel controls, pulsed phased input to motors, and all sorts of mad shenanigans, but it is just more to go wrong, and often the effort is not worth the rewards when it all ends up as junk any way. I would encourage the shielding of any motors though. Learnt that the hard way, I did.

I generally favour offensive capability over armour, which I feel to be generally a waste of weight once you go beyond basic protection, as most enemies will either not be able to penetrate even the most basic protection, or be so powerful even the best armour is useless. Things are heavy, and weight is your enemy. I once competed with a notable exception which broke the legendary weapon on Razer (non televised, alas), but such insane armour weight prevented much in the way of weapons, leaving me with a glorified high speed push bot. A subsequent version retained a similar chassis and drive train, but replaced the most of the armour weight for 2 contra-rotating flywheels. It killed everything, including itself, and was hell to drive. Much fun.

Mechanically, stick to stock parts rather than custom builds as much as possible. This keeps costs down, and makes running repairs trivial. I used a lot of racing go kart bits back in the day - sprockets, chains, gearings, wheels, bearings... all standard sizes and connections. Nice and simple. Simple is king. Car spare parts or salvage parts are also handy, as are plumbing bits. The one extravagance I would recommend is on a good set of gel cell batteries. Yuasa are a good brand, and can be found in wheelchairs etc. This is much easier if you stick to simple shapes formed from tubular chassis to begin with. Say, a wedge or a box. Leave the organic scorpion shapes until later. Heck, even my most advanced creation was little more than a T shaped chassis with a few carapace style aspects. Simple shapes can also facilitate being able to run upside down or on your side, which is very handy.

Learn to weld, and as such stick to fairly plain steel or aluminium to begin with. Fancy alloys have a tendency to be a pain in the ass to work with or cut. A notable memory is struggling to cut through a hefty duralumin plate that formed a sort of carapace with a plasma cutter, which was a right pain in the ass that did not go so well. The job would have been easier with a plain metal, and easier to tidy up afterwards.

Do not be delicate when building. The end product needs to be tough, and will get based around. If you are worried about dropping it off a workbench in case it breaks, you are doing it wrong. Deliberately drop it. Run it down some stairs. Make it stand up to such things.

A decent bot well driven will beat a good bot with a bad driver every time. Practice lots. Bash up washing machines or other junk. Find out little things like how performance drops off over time, or handling quirks.

Oh, and saftey. I have seen so many horrible near misses. Be sure there is a kill switch on the external of the bot you can reach by hand. Some kind of "pull out loop" is a traditional favourite. Make sure you have some kind of cradle or frame that keeps the wheels from touching any surface for testing, to prevent out of control zooming incidents.

This is a blank sig.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 02:24:39 pm »

¯\_(°_°)_/¯

I was just saying is all.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 04:46:32 pm »

Battlebots 2015 Youtube Channel. Missed an episode? Episodes air at a time you just can't watch due to whacky timezones? You can watch them here, without constant tv commercial breaks and in decent quality footage.

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 04:59:23 pm »

I always enjoyed watching the robot arms race. I remember when the show first started, it was all about the push bots and zany bladed weaponry. Then came the flip bots, and tbh, those were my least favorite kind, because victory amounted to exploiting an opponents design. Then people started making their bots with their own flip package, able to run on both sides....and that's when the arms race really took off.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 05:29:15 pm »

My all time favourite has to be the flywheel designs. They were often rarely more than spinning serrated discs on wheels. When they were flipped over all that changed was the direction the disc spun. And there was always this suspense where the opposing robot had a chance - if they could kill the robot before it built up spin, they stood a chance. And if they could take it out in the brief moment after it hit another robot and ran out of spin - they stood a chance.

If they tried fighting dumb? Like charging into a hurricane of razor blades.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 05:34:06 pm »

I always thought spin-bladed bots were at a disadvantage. It seems like it never took that much to render the blade inoperable. Either a coupling would break, a belt if it was a belt driven solution, the bearings would seize and/or get mangled by a hard impact and lock it up....just always seemed like a fragile design to stake your bots' chances of a win on. Then again I don't know if ever saw a really robust design; most of them seemed cobbled together from lawn mower parts, and from experience I can say: those don't take much to break.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 05:42:51 pm »

I always thought spin-bladed bots were at a disadvantage. It seems like it never took that much to render the blade inoperable. Either a coupling would break, a belt if it was a belt driven solution, the bearings would seize and/or get mangled by a hard impact and lock it up....just always seemed like a fragile design to stake your bots' chances of a win on. Then again I don't know if ever saw a really robust design; most of them seemed cobbled together from lawn mower parts, and from experience I can say: those don't take much to break.
I never did see one of them break

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 06:00:31 pm »

Battlebots thread, awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6