Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Battlebots Thread: ABC Season 2 begins 6/23/2016  (Read 12199 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Battlebots Thread: Televised Robot Deathmatch Sim 2015!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2015, 06:06:28 pm »

I always thought spin-bladed bots were at a disadvantage. It seems like it never took that much to render the blade inoperable. Either a coupling would break, a belt if it was a belt driven solution, the bearings would seize and/or get mangled by a hard impact and lock it up....just always seemed like a fragile design to stake your bots' chances of a win on. Then again I don't know if ever saw a really robust design; most of them seemed cobbled together from lawn mower parts, and from experience I can say: those don't take much to break.
I never did see one of them break

Already linked in this thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2015, 06:57:40 pm »

That aint no flywheel bot if I've seen one, Murrica step up your game

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »

Weekly reminder that there's a new Battlebots episode airing in an hour. Get hype.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 08:00:57 pm »

It's robot fighting time! *HONK*

Tombstone is ready to bury another bot.

EDIT:
-Witch Doctor just cursed Overdrive into oblivion.-
-After nomming on some rads, Tombstone's after another meal. Bad time to be a Witch Doctor.-
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 08:28:17 pm by Itnetlolor »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2015, 08:29:55 pm »

I feel like this whole season is going to be a recording of Tombstone and Icewave eating their opponents alive before brawling it out for the championship. The huge spinning slabs of metal on both bots seem like the perfect defense, a destructive offense that tears apart anything that touches it.

Spoiler: match spoilers (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2015, 09:07:03 pm »

I'm just waiting to see Tombstone snap Icewave's blade. Everything else is gravy.

Spoiler: Also (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 09:56:54 pm »

I thought the spinnybots were boring and they were always the best.  I figured that out on uh...  Shit what was that game called.

I don't remember.  Maybe somebody here remembers!  It was a 3d robot programming game, had probably late PS1/early PS2 graphics.  You build robots completely from the ground up with wheels and legs and everything and you could customize their animations and everything.  Programming was mostly done with a kind of tree system, instead of writing code you plugged code blocks into a basic logic and decision tree.  I don't remember if you could actually write code, I wasn't old enough to do it anyway.

Anyway you pretty much had to do everything, if your robot had legs I think you had to program it and set up walking animations just to  move.  You could make it swing claws or jab with pistons and such but like in real robots it's easier to just stick a wheel and some blades and make it spin really fast. 

Anybody remember that game?
Shoes...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 10:04:41 pm »

I'm just waiting to see Tombstone snap Icewave's blade. Everything else is gravy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 11:23:52 pm »

I thought the spinnybots were boring and they were always the best.  I figured that out on uh...  Shit what was that game called.
Spoiler: game stuff snipped (click to show/hide)
Anybody remember that game?

I remember seeing a battlebots pc game in a bookstore once upon a time years ago. No idea if that's the game you're talking about. I never played it, just looked at the box. This was before I knew how cool battlebots was. :|

Spinners seem to have the most destructive power potential of any bot design. Doesn't mean they always win though. Depending on how the spinner is set up, who they're fighting against, the hardware inside both bots, and the driving skills of both teams, the spinner could easily lose to a less destructive bot just because that's how the match went. Look at how Nightmare fared in the current season, it was an old classic and practically one of the big names for spinners and it lost the first or second match.

The reason Tombstone and Icewave are doing so well is because they have such a big thick spinning blade mounted in such a position that the other bots have a hard time doing anything. In Tombstone's case, all the bots it went up against weren't armored well enough for Tombstone's big spinning blade. The last bot was literally armored in plastic.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 11:40:13 pm »

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 02:22:51 pm by Darkmere »
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2015, 04:07:53 am »

Hutson has always been a bit of a dick, but he's still obviously there for the same reason as most of the others: to have fun building and wrecking robots. The kid with the crappy red dye job who drove for the MIT team threw a hissy fit when they lost and got away with it because Hutson tapped their bot at the buzzer, and the announcers blew it up by talking about how something like that could destroy a robot... yeah, if you're talking about something with a high-powered spinner. Less so a grappler's love-tap.

No respect for MIT's driver at all, which is a shame because despite getting wrecked in the first round the team as a whole adapted well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2015, 11:56:08 am »

Another thing is that the MIT team was attempting to right itself after the buzzer, presumably because it would look better to the judges if you had a robot upright rather than upside down.

Also, at SDCC someone released a partial working cut of the Stinger/Bronco fight. If you don't care about spoilers, it's pretty awesome. Link is below.

WARNING: THE VIDEO LINKED BELOW HAS SPOILERS. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
 https://youtu.be/jsgp0PWbpoo?t=1364
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:31:46 pm by RedWarrior0 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6