Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Battlebots Thread: ABC Season 2 begins 6/23/2016  (Read 12217 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Battlebots Thread: Season 1 Championship. RIP AND TEAR GIANT NUTS!
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2015, 09:16:43 pm »

Woooo. Championship episode. I'm doing a quick survey of the internets and not finding any online videos of the episode but I'll be sure to post a link when I find it. Pretty great season all in all, I'd say.

I like how competitive this series feels compared to the original Battlebots. It's more intense and feels like quite a competition. Feels real. Watching old Battlebots episodes on Youtube and it feels much more like a bunch of guys and their wacky robot fight club, with stock sound effects added to make hits sound more heavy and goofy music playing during the fights. There's a charm to the original series but I like the way this new series has gone. I especially liked the clips of the teams repairing and making last minute changes to their bots in the pit.

I heard a rumour that in season 2 Battlebots will bring back the weight tiers, and this season was just heavyweights to see how well the reboot is received. Cross your fingers for season 2.

Also found an interesting article while searching the web for the championship video uploading. How Battlebots Ended Up at ABC.

Also also, check out some ratings. Battlebots on ABC had a high point of 5.1 million viewers nationwide in the US at the first episode, and averaging ~4.5 million each episode after that.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2015, 12:14:31 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2015, 12:24:10 am »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2015, 12:31:04 am »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2015, 12:40:31 am »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 12:50:11 am »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2015, 12:14:43 pm »

Here is hoping the success of this re-boot inspires a broadcaster in the UK to bring back our own version back to TV. It might just tempt me out of retirement.
This is a blank sig.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Battlebots Thread: ABC Season 2 CONFIRMED. Get HYPE.
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2015, 10:23:54 pm »

Good news.

The official Battlebots website has information on applying for season 2. Season 2 is going to be a thing, slated for "this summer". No official date yet, only "this summer".

I am a bit late on this news, seeing how one of the articles I'm looking at is from November 5, but better late than never.
Some articles:
link
link

Their website says that the deadline for applying is either once all tournament slots are filled, or the deadline date arrives, which is currently set to February 15, 2016. There will be 32 slots this season. No mention of the return of weight groups.

I'm looking at the pdfs they have on their site and one of them mentions "flybots", or flying combat robots. Sounds like robot dogfights could be a thing for this season.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:29:20 pm by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2015, 11:17:48 pm »

The rules allow for flying flamethrowers.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2015, 11:25:09 pm »

The rules allow for flying flamethrowers.
Surprisingly, the part about fliers was in there before season 2 revisions, if I'm reading it right. Parts revised for season 2 are in blue. So I'm guessing it was in there for season 1 but no one used it. There's an added clause about not accepting any kind of nets or other entangling or disabling devices, thanks to that fiasco in season 1 with the net in a box.

Note that the weight limit for fliers is 10 pounds, so I suppose fliers would only really be useful for minibots, until they bring back weight classes like featherweight tournaments.

I found a loophole - if you could call it that - in that there's no limit to the number of multibots, so long as the combined total weight doesn't exceed the limit of 250 pounds. Theoretically, you could have a swarm of 25 10 pound fliers, or even 250 little 1 pound fliers. This would probably never be accepted and the logistics of radio controlling them all is a nightmare but I find it funny to imagine.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2015, 11:29:09 pm »

No, this is version 2016.2, with blue being differences from 2016.1

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2016, 08:51:53 pm »

Nice.

I wonder if lister will show up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6