Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Digging Dwarf Suggestion Game (taking a break, health issues)  (Read 8787 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soaked Dwarf Suggestion Game (Vote to pull yourself off the beach)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »

I..) General Approach (pick one (1) )
+1 D.) Delay leadership/follower decision until talking/learning more from people.

II.) Possible Actions: (Pick Three, (3), may perhaps attempt non selected actions later).
A.) Speak to some or all of the people around.
D.) Attempt to salvage cargo.
F.) Build shelter

There is already a doctor dealing with the dead and wounded. We don't know anything about medicine.

III.) Future Aims for consideration vote now, (perhaps try to do later): (Pick Three (3) so far, may perhaps attempt non selected actions later).
B.) Salvaging Shipwreck
D.) build in immediate area
E.) Working with other survivors

Again, without knowing where we are, it'd be nice to have some kind of shelter. Is there enough wood laying around from that shipwreck? Also, where are we generally, when we go to talk to people?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 04:43:01 pm »

The argument that we have no doctoring skill is a good one I have been convinced by the above person.
+1
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2015, 08:47:12 pm »

Do people want me to continue this? So far I have only 3 people voting.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 05:26:48 pm »

I should be online every couple days now so I would like to join :)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2015, 07:44:58 pm »

I would like this to continue if possible.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 06:00:50 pm »

I'd like this to continue. Please.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 06:55:24 pm »

(Note: These are episodic conversational things that can happen roughly in the order they are presented. If I did each individual conversation, we'd be here a while....)

The bald dwarf whittling a pile of wooden stakes in a leather overcoat next to a fire pit and a pile of wood he hasn't lit yet, simply says,

Meeting Obalv Gelantiv (Gone Teir):
"One more still breathing," as he looks at you, still whittling. "Wasn't sure about you, so I put you on your stomach in case you coughed up more sea and started to breathe. Glad you did." He looks you up and down, "If you're done putting the sea from your lungs to the sand and feeling decent, check the wreck for whatever we need. Might be here a while." He keeps whittling wooden stakes and doesn't seem nearly as distressed as he might be. "O yeah, where are my manners. You'll have to excuse me, what with the damn ship thing and all. The name's Obalv Gelantiv (Gone Teir), and I got on that bloody ship to get the hell away from everyone else. This ain't what I had in mind...." He continues whittling, focusing on his knife's application to wood.

The Doctor is busy and so are the humans:
All the while the roving doctor makes his way from left to right, he calls out too softly, "48," and continues on his way, not acknowledging your presence or much else beyond patients or corpses, whatever the case may be.... He waves over a couple of the humans who seem to be moving bodies around, alive or otherwise, and performing makeshift triage. When not carrying bodies, the humans are rummaging through the wreckage/crates, etc. A makeshift hospital, if you can call it that, operates out of a beached section of the ruined ship. The ... shall we say, makeshift morgue ... is in a less safe portion of what was the ship. They move what you can tell was the captain's body there....

You see there are actually 5 humans (4 males, 1 female), who are all oddly beardless. They seem to be busy diving into the salvage. They are quite shaken when their emotions show and breathing heavily. This is obviously not what they were expecting and they are not dealing with it nearly as well as Obalv or the Dwarven Doctor, who has declined to do anything besides his job, much less recite his name.

Trovaln Savondev (Smith of Ndev), Fisherdwarf by the Ocean:
Down by the sea, next to a pile of fish and what appear to be some type of clams, stands a lone fisherdwarf "Sir, you can't have your fishing gear on your person on the ship.... Bah!" It is clear he is talking to himself and having somewhat of a conversation, "It's against the captain's policy to have those on your person. My Person? What other person am I going to have my things on? Hum? Tell me that if you were still alive maybe. Foolish nutters all of 'em." Just then he opens his eyes wide and starts shaking a line and pulling on it left and right, staring intently at the water, "Come to the dinner plate you!" He shouts at the water, which soon has a fishing fighting and failing for freedom. "O you!" he calls out, seemingly to the fish as it flails. Finally after a couple of minutes he wades out into the water and comes back with a wriggling fish about a fourth as big as he is, to which he exclaims, "Wriggle all you like dinner!" He then walks inland right past you, saying "excuse me" and then plops the fish down unceremoniously to air drown on the beach too far from the sea for hope of escape. "I'll cut you up later." he says matter-of-factly, you hope to the fish....

He turns to look at you, "I'm Trovaln Savondev (Smith of Ndev). An' who're you again?"

Three Four Dwarves near the bald one (2 o clock) formerly passed out, Tlonv Pavingol (Pincing Guard) {Soldier}, Kershi Lovachin (Loyal One) {Cook} and Quivan Savondev (Smith of Ndev){Stone builder and Mech?} and a lost miner:

The younger looking (but still adult) male wearing an private's military uniform wakes up first, "Damn storms," followed by the two female dwarves wearing trades clothing (You would guess a cook and some sort of builder?). they are groggy and not entirely with it. This sounds familiar as you took a little while to get your bearings as well.

If you wait for them to become oriented, they will explain their names are Tlonv Pavingol (Pincing Guard), Kershi Lovachin (Loyal One) and Quivan Savondev (Smith of Ndev). Tlonv is a soldier, and cannot find his gear. Kershi is a chef, and Quivan says she works in stone and gear.

Quivan tells you she thinks, "We need more shelter than a shattered ship somehow, if we need to I can get us some masonry up. Anyone seen Vaubv?"

And there's a miner too: Vaubv Savondev (Smith of Ndev):
A voice near the woods calls "Somebody ask about me?" An incredibly well built Dwarf wearing a gray overcoat comes to your little group discussion with the other three Dwarves. "Naught but mainly sand on this beach. If we're to get some stone to dig into or dig up, we'll have to move a little inland. Doesn't have to be all the way to the damn mountains or whatever, but clearly the underland strata slopes up from the sea. Nice soil 'round here, and under that's probably limestone, maybe sandstone. Can't do a proper strata test like this. Haven't even accounted for everyone on this beach, much less what's under the ground....

Of course, if people wanted, I could dig out something temporary, but even then, it has to be up some more above the water line or it'll flood. I could do it a little ways inland, not even that much but some so the sea doesn't come in with us...."

The ... good new ...? Is that there are several crates of what appear to be food and supplies. The humans appear to be sorting it out, though it may take some time. Obalv appears to be working on a map of some sort now that he's gotten a few dozen wooden stakes carved up.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Summation:
1.) Obalv Gelantiv (Gone Teir)
2.) The Doctor (not talkative yet amongst the casualties)
3.) The Humans (5 humans (4 males, 1 female) are very shaken, what did you expect from humans?).
4.) Trovaln Savondev (Smith of Ndev), Fisherdwarf by the Ocean
5.) Tlonv Pavingol (Pincing Guard) {Soldier}
6.) Kershi Lovachin (Loyal One) {Cook}
7.) Quivan Savondev (Smith of Ndev){Stone builder and Mech?}
8.) Vaubv Savondev (Smith of Ndev) (Miner)
9.) Others?

Some Known issues at present:

1.) Apparently, the leadership is dead (Captain, etc). Most people are still in shock it seems.
2.) Is this even all the survivors?
3.) Where on earth are you?
4.) You have a fair amount of dead bodies and a small number of wounded on your hands
5.) Rescue? Are you even late for arrival at your port yet/do people know you're shipwrecked yet?
6.) Food and salvage?

Suggested Choices: (You can suggest others)
A.) Attempt to assume leadership
B.) Follow other people if presented
C.) Run off on your own
D.) Delay leadership/follower decision until talking/learning more from people.
E.) Other (specify)

II.) Conceivable Actions: (Pick Three, (3), may perhaps attempt non selected actions).
A.) Speak to some or all of the people around.
B.) Hide
C.) Tend to the unconscious and/or wounded.
D.) Attempt to salvage cargo.
E.) Attempt to Fish with fisherdwarf
F.) Suggest building site and method
G.) Perform/gather crafting materials
H.) Pray
I.) Chop down trees
J.) Gather food
K.) Scout
L.) Other (specify)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:08:29 pm by Transcendant »

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 06:58:22 pm »

Obalv gives you the following sketch, blank underground as of right now, due to his not being able to take a proper strata sample. He points out that obviously building under the sea isn't advisable but there's probably rock under the higher points down somewhere. 

Map Key:

(OOC: +1 Level, Ground Level, and -1, in descending order. Zoom function.) 

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:00:50 pm by Transcendant »

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nice. This could be neat.

+1 A.) Attempt to assume leadership
Not entirely, like over the whole group just yet, but somebody's gotta come up with a plan. We've got a miner, so let's mine out somewhere to be. We've got some kind of woodsman with Obalv and lots of trees, so let's get some lumber and clear some space (if we have an axe and nobody else is better at it). Somebody's gotta do something, and if people have voted to build something here, then let's get somewhere safe to be up and going.

II.) Conceivable Actions: (Pick Three, (3), may perhaps attempt non selected actions).
+1 F.) Suggest building site and method

Vaubv is the miner. If he's got a pick, then let him select the best site based on where he thinks there is availability of stone underneath and defensibility. Once he gets stone,  Quivan is the stonebuilder. Maybe she can start on some foundations/walls.

Right now, we just need generalized defensible buildings with flexible use that can later be converted into other things. We need some kind of general room to get supplies and people up and off that beach with some kind of defensible entrance. I don't know what kind of weather or hostiles are around this place, but I don't want to find out on my own head if it rains or snows or something.

Are we not moving because we have too many injured and dead?

That assumes we have food, which it looks like we do from the shipwreck salvage?

As for a spot, Let's go with over on the right side where there is less sand, near where the ground level meets the +1 level? Something that won't get flooded if we get a big tide or something, I guess. If anybody else has a better idea, I'm all ears.

+1 L.) Ask if anyone can chop down trees, if we have an ax or saw or something. Maybe Obalv, he seems to know about wood?

I'm glad there are some trees on this map, and I guess off to the left right and top of the map too, like we're in a forest by the seaside? Let's get some wood going and see what we can make out of that once we have it chopped down. That Oblav guy might have something in mind since he's already carving things up with those stakes. I gotta ask him why he's doing that. Is he gonna use them for something or does he think there's vampires around? What?

Let whoever chops take whatever trees they want but maybe start clearing ground near wherever we are going to build?

+1 L.) Find out who the humans are and what skills they have so we can find out what they can do, perhaps try to calm them somewhat.

So we've got 5 humans and 8 dwarves that we've been told of so far. We don't know much about the humans. Let's fix that. Even if they're just general laborers or the ship's crew that's nice to know. Also we could go calm them down a bit. Let's figure out how the heck to do this if we can, and hey, let's comfort them a bit. We're not a total jerk.

Either way, for all we know these guys are hidden talent we might all need to survive.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:57:13 pm by femmelf »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile

+1 fair enough.

Only thing I'd add, where are we putting the dead bodies and the wounded? I get that they're in the ship parts so far, but that's not a permanent solution. Digging graves? Cremation? Is there any kind of rule governing that with something, religion, culture, whatever?

That and, what's for dinner? These two points are not related. Thank you.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Nice. This could be neat.

+1 A.) Attempt to assume leadership

+1 F.) Suggest building site and method

+1 L.) Ask if anyone can chop down trees, if we have an ax or saw or something. Maybe Obalv, he seems to know about wood?

+1 L.) Find out who the humans are and what skills they have so we can find out what they can do, perhaps try to calm them somewhat.
+1

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Voting still open. Updating soon.

Answer. Yes, you are in a forest by the shore, and there are other lands around you, with forests. You just don't have a map of all of the places around you right now.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Day One:
You call out to everyone, somewhat unsure, but sure enough you suppose. Your call is very simple and pretty easily understood.

"If we're to survive here, then we need to save ourselves until anyone comes for us. We need to work together, build shelter, deal with our departed and wounded, find food, and fresh water. Tend to the wounded, be safe and get through this. Let's do that. Any suggestions? Any problems? Anything? No?

We can't afford to not take care of ourselves."

Obalv simply and silently raises an ax when you ask about anyone able to cut down trees and nods. Nothing more seemingly need be said on the matter as far as he is concerned.

Vaubv speaks with you and you both determine that a mined home near where stone is likely to be is preferable given what you know right now.

(NOTE: THIS TAKES A FEW DAYS to do and dig out, but a new map every day would be too much)

Vaubv (A Dwarven Miner) sets to work with sturdy pick, many of the humans seem to aid him in removing what he digs, which at first is lots of sand and perhaps a little soil. He spends all day digging slightly down, until he hears a somewhat satisfying sound from his pick. It struck stone; the dwarf smiled.

From there, digging through and removing stone is heavier, harder, but more rewarding. Quivan Savondev (Stone builder and Mech?) sees stone to work, and worries less. She starts carving blocks to sturdy the tunnel portions in the softer soil layer with sand and soil. Reinforced, the small tunnel can be worked in earnest. Of course, it takes some amount of time, but Vaubv is freer to work his way into the earth.

A small starting hall is created, and though not usefully large at present, may grow to become irreplaceable later. It starts somewhere; it starts here.

Obalv shakes his head and trods off to the trees, ax in hand. He mutters something about, "Tried to get away from everyone. Now I'm stuck with 'em." You can hear a loud falling of trees over the area Vaubv is digging in, and now have a fair deal of lumber

In general, the area is a relative bustle of activity. Many seem intent on helping Vaubv remove what he pulls out of the earth and pile it away from him, so you now have a large pile of (primarily) sand with some soil in it. Much of the

Later that night, you get to talking with the humans around the ample fires from the fair amount of wood you have. you learn their names are

Eren Tomal (Human, Male Crewman, Farmer
John Tomal (Human, Male Crewman)
Don Malavic (Human, Male Crewman)
Harol Conrid (Human, Male Crewman)
Stella Thatchin (Human,  Female, Scribe/Book keeper)

They seem somewhat friendly enough given the circumstances, but all things considered.... They're still shaken. Speaking of all things considered.

There are other fires nearby enough but clearly downwind. You recall the doctor mentioning before that there were 48 dead.... It seems the number has risen to about 56.... He makes it a point to gather the ashes, and Quivan makes fairly crude urns for them. The doctor explains, rather coldly, clinically, that if you did not burn these bodies, you would all be dead of disease in a matter of days, perhaps weeks, as we have no place to otherwise deal with them with burial.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Humans give you the following list of supplies from various cargo crates:
*400 Excellently Prepared Meals
1/3 Sautéed Cave Beef, Shallots, Crisped Greens, pan fried tomatoes.
1/3 Grilled Duck, Kelp, Roasted Seed Salad.
1/3 Cave Eel Pie with Dwarven Tubers, Cave Wisp Reeds, and Dwarven Mushrooms

*About a quarter of a ship worth of salvageable finished wood

*40 Steel Ingot Bars
*12 Standard Spears
*30 Buckets Wooden (Oak)
*1 large anchor chain (steel) (No anchor)
*2 Large Soaked Sails *(slight rips and tears)
*300 Units of Excellent Cotton Fabric
*1 Goat (Male)

This appears to be what has been salvaged from the wreckage at this point. There are some other crates the humans have not gotten to yet, but this appears to be the bulk of what you’re going to get.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Information:
You have 12 wounded left that the doctor is attending to with various ailments. They are all dwarves with various levels of injury

What do you do tomorrow?:
I.) Pick or Suggest One
A.) Stay in Starting Area and build up your infrastructure
B.) Explore the immediately surrounding area generally
C.) Stay in Starting Area and Fish
D.) Stay in Starting Area and Craft (With what materials, results desired etc).
E.) Other

II.) How would you suggest Vaubv and Quivan mine/construct buildings (Pick Two ranked more and less important):

A.) Focus on Defense first
B.) Focus on establishing a hospital or other safe interior space to place the wounded first.
C.) Focus on Religious and Burial accommodations for the dead, etc.
D.) Focus on establishing industry and infrastructure
E.) Focus on expanding space that is flexible and not specialized at present.
F.) Focus on Mercantile and trading with commerce
G.) Focus on creating transportation (Stables, docks, etc)
H.) Focus on justice and administration areas
I.) Focus on long term growth and infrastructure (Hallways, with areas to mine out/build later).

III.) Other Ideas and suggestions
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:39:09 pm by Transcendant »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

I believe we should I:B explore the surrounding area. Also check if anybody's found the military equipment we brought, and if so bring a weapon, and maybe a light piece of armor if we have any. Checking the supplies right now we only have spears, so we'll go with one of those.

Then II:A>B. Right now these are the things we need the most. While planning long term could be useful in that long term, we might not even be here long term, and doing this will help save lives now which will be helpful throughout any period of time.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What do you do tomorrow?:
I.) Pick or Suggest One
+1 A.) Stay in Starting Area and build up your infrastructure
Forge please. Doesn't have to be the fanciest necessarily. Our skill should still make awesome stuff? If we can't then scout like vjmdhzgr said.

Wait, this is harder, because we have 40 bars of steel and we're a metalworker with lots of weapons and armor making skill. Almost all our skill is for that. The only problem is, we don't have a forge or any place to work. Can we somehow manage a forge? We've got a stoneworker/mechanics person right?  Quivan? Making really nice armor and weapons couldn't hurt us, especially if we're worried about defense. Also what's our military gear look like please. I know you said we had a "Black, bronze buttoned, military support uniform." Is that just the uniform or does that come with anything else if you don't mind the question.

II.) How would you suggest Vaubv and Quivan mine/construct buildings (Pick Two ranked more and less important):

+1 A.) Focus on Defense first
+1 B.) Focus on establishing a hospital or other safe interior space to place the wounded first.

A > B

Yeah, this. Consolidate and protect what we have and try to save who we can. They might have useful skills or something, plus the moral side of it.

III.) Other Ideas and suggestions
[/quote]

Can we build structures on the outside, with Quivan while Vaubv digs, since we have stone and Vaubv is digging out more stone?
Can we do anything with making any type of very temporary structure like a tent? We have those sails right? Are they big enough to combine with some of what wood we're chopping down to get some kind of a tent system going?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6