Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reduce cost for child animals on embark  (Read 1439 times)

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reduce cost for child animals on embark
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:23 am »

The cost for child animals on embark should be reduced, as the child animals give less meat, cannot be trained for war or hunting, cannot reproduce immediately, and cannot lay eggs, yet cost the exact same as their parents. The only three reasons for purchasing them would be for role playing, delaying breeding, and having a longer lifespan. If the cost was reduced, you could still do all of these things. I think that the cost for a child animal should be reduced by about 50%, rounded up (not fixed value) in order to make bringing child animals viable. For example, because adult pigs cost 51 on embark, brining a piglet (a pig child) would cost 26. This change would give the player the choice between bringing adult animals and having more meat, trainable animals, offspring, and eggs immediately, and bringing child animals in order to be able to bring either more animals, more items in addition to animals, or both.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce cost for child animals on embark
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:22:14 am »

+1 support.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:25:01 am »

Yea, that's a good suggestion. +1

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:30:20 am »

Players do not bring animals to butcher them right away.  They bring animals to start a breeding herd.  Buying the beef is much cheaper than buying the cow. 

As such, there is decent reason to buy a juvenile compared to an adult, for the aforementioned guarantee that it will be as young as possible.  Animal children may be as little as a day away from adulthood, at that. 

I can agree with a notion that they should have a discount, but 50%? There would be no reason to purchase any adults ever again. 

Something closer to a 10% discount seems much more reasonable.

(Of course, there's also the fact that there's basically no reason to take along any animals that aren't dogs, cats, turkeys/geese, or MAYBE sheep...  The other animals are 20 times as expensive, and produce 2-4 times as many products... But that's a different argument.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 07:26:16 pm »

+1 support, but also...

You are less likely to "purchase" problems if you purchase ewe lambs and yearlings that have never lambed. You are not likely to encounter any problems with their reproductive systems, especially their udders. Because young ewes have more productive years ahead of them, they usually sell for higher prices than mature ewes.

http://www.sheep101.info/201/acquiringstock.html

Though 1-2 year old sheep apparently sell for the most. Pretty sure other animals are sold by weight, but hey its still relevant.

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 01:51:49 pm »

I can agree with a notion that they should have a discount, but 50%? There would be no reason to purchase any adults ever again. 

Something closer to a 10% discount seems much more reasonable.

It might be relevant to bring up that trained animals (war dogs, for example) are about twice as expensive as their standard counterparts.  Making juveniles cost half would give a convenient 1-2-4 effect.  Without trying to downplay the "excessive" argument, 50% has the advantage of being easy to figure out, remember, and keep track of.