Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: End animal peoples  (Read 1157 times)

DwarfCon5

• Bay Watcher
  • Over and Under
    • View Profile
End animal peoples
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:43:13 am »

Where are these animal people located in the raw folder? I want to mod them so they can not be rulers of towns and to not have other lesser positions among cities. They were fine being a tribal peoples, but I want them out of human towns and whatever other places they show up, though I think I would put them in goblin civs. How do I organise their roles? I wouldn't have them rulers of goblin civs, but warriors and such is kinda kool.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: End animal peoples
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:43:33 pm »

The people version of an animal is defined in the same raw as that animal, meaning they're in a lot of raws files, a pain to edit them all.

By example the bird_penguin is defined in creature_birds.txt, and that file contain the penguin man, while the platypus man is defined in creature_large_riverlake.txt because it's where the platypus is defined too.

But even then, there's this bug with animals, so even getting rid of animal people possible can_learn or similar (assuming they have some, didn't checked) may not guarantee there will be no more problem with animal people getting power in an entity they aren't supposed to be a part of.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:53:42 pm by Robsoie »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:22:35 pm »

You could edit the [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON] and [CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS] entries to replace [CV_NEW_TAG:CAN_SPEAK] with [CV_NEW_TAG:UTTERANCES] to see if that keeps them out of the normal civilizations.  This might make tribes unable to trade with an adventurer, though.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:20:37 pm »

As it is now animal people don't really join other civilizations. Very rarely you may encounter an amphibian woman vampire queen, but again, that's very rare. In the next version though they'll be joining civilizations sometimes, in which case maybe do what Dirst is suggesting, but that will probably mean they don't join civilizations at all which doesn't sound like what you want. I believe there's a token you can add to the positions in the entity file to restrict what can hold that position. Something like [RESTRICTED_CASTE:DWARF:NONE]
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 02:00:28 pm »

As it is now animal people don't really join other civilizations. Very rarely you may encounter an amphibian woman vampire queen, but again, that's very rare. In the next version though they'll be joining civilizations sometimes, in which case maybe do what Dirst is suggesting, but that will probably mean they don't join civilizations at all which doesn't sound like what you want. I believe there's a token you can add to the positions in the entity file to restrict what can hold that position. Something like [RESTRICTED_CASTE:DWARF:NONE]
[ALLOWED_CLASS:<CREATURE_CLASS>], [ALLOWED_CREATURE:<CREATURE>:<CASTE>] (caste can be ALL, I think), [REJECTED_CLASS:<CREATURE_CLASS>] and [REJECTED_CREATURE:<CREATURE>:<CASTE>] are what you are thinking about.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DwarfCon5

• Bay Watcher
  • Over and Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 02:40:00 pm »

[ALLOWED_CLASS:<CREATURE_CLASS>], [ALLOWED_CREATURE:<CREATURE>:<CASTE>] (caste can be ALL, I think), [REJECTED_CLASS:<CREATURE_CLASS>] and [REJECTED_CREATURE:<CREATURE>:<CASTE>] are what you are thinking about.

I'll try this out, thanks; though, just a couple questions about specifics.

Is a class of creatures a title of the text they fall under, e.g. "creature_tropical_new."

Do these go into the entity_default texts? Mountain for Dwarf civs, Forest for Elf civs, etcetera.

If I wanted animal people warriors, specifically males, in goblin armies, would the caste be the male variant; and where in the gobo sphere of raws would I put animal people males under a warrior caste?

Lastly a syntax question, do I need to define separate ALLOWED and REJECTED clauses for every animal person or can I use only one clause and separate the different creatures using commas? E.g. [ALLOWED_CREATURE:ANACONDA_MAN, PYTHON_MAN, KINGCOBRA_MAN, BLACK_MAMBA_MAN:MALE]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 03:31:08 pm »

I'll try this out, thanks; though, just a couple questions about specifics.

Is a class of creatures a title of the text they fall under, e.g. "creature_tropical_new."
No. Most creatures have a token called [CREATURE_CLASS:whatever]. The only creature class in the game is [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON], which is used to see who can and can't be affected by most syndromes in the game. You can give a creature as many classes as you want. I am pretty sure you need to type out the token for each one you want (so [CREATURE_CLASS:STUFF][CREATURE_CLASS:GRISHA5]...).

Do these go into the entity_default texts? Mountain for Dwarf civs, Forest for Elf civs, etcetera.
They go inside the position, so if you go to the dwarf entity and scroll down you'll eventually find the position tokens, like, say, MONARCH. You put that inside those.

If I wanted animal people warriors, specifically males, in goblin armies, would the caste be the male variant; and where in the gobo sphere of raws would I put animal people males under a warrior caste?
Generic soldiers are not a position nor can be made into one. Only squad leaders are positions. But if you want to only allow goblins of any gender and male animalpeople to be generals or whatever other position, you'd either add: [ALLOWED_CREATURE:GOBLIN:ALL][ALLOWED_CREATURE:CAPYBARA_MAN:MALE]... or [REJECTED_CREATURE:CAPYBARA_MAN:FEMALE]... or [ALLOWED_CLASS:SOMETHING] (where you give [CREATURE_CLASS:SOMETHING] to all eligible castes you want).

Lastly a syntax question, do I need to define separate ALLOWED and REJECTED clauses for every animal person or can I use only one clause and separate the different creatures using commas? E.g. [ALLOWED_CREATURE:ANACONDA_MAN, PYTHON_MAN, KINGCOBRA_MAN, BLACK_MAMBA_MAN:MALE]
I am almost sure you need to do one for each, however I could be wrong. You could just test it (do as you did above, load up the arena, close, look at errorlog) to see if it works.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?