Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon lucky shot? and some questions...  (Read 1709 times)

TheForgottenOne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dragon lucky shot? and some questions...
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:39 pm »

Hello fellow mortals, i'm here to post this somehow epic "battle" i had with a dragon which didn't noticed my soul in his lair, and the results are amazing for me, was it luck or was the dragon weak?

And i eventually died afterwards for a hill titan with webs which stroke me with it's legs in my head after i got webbed...

Questions:
Any tips for creatures with webs?

Is silver the best choice for blunt weapons?

Did boogeyman got OP with the updates? because is impossible to kill them...

I don't play dwarf fortress for a while and i started all over again with the dream to conquer the world in adventure mode, tips would help a lot

thank you for your time.
Beware my Rise,
                       Praise your Fall!!!

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon lucky shot? and some questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:08:38 pm »

In vanilla dragons (among others) are passive, can be ambushed, and feel pain. Same for the Roc. Passivity seems to be a broken mechanic that has yet to be fixed.
EDIT: One other thing is with a passive opponent, they are facing away, so the hit you make will be from behind which gives a penalty to your target. Oddly enough, you don't even have to sneak with passive opponents.

For webs, sneak until you see the (in this case) titan then shoot it down, maintaining your distance from its field of vision. Perhaps it bleeds out. If not, well you'll have to take your chances with melee. But the shooting is to at least get it down on the ground to drop its speed.

Silver or copper.

I haven't encountered bogeymen in a while, but you pretty much just kite them out in a line, and quick attack + dodge away.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:28:11 pm by a smiling bearded cretin »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 05:18:29 pm »

Steel is just as good as silver for blunt weapons.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TheForgottenOne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »

Thank you very much ^^ really helpful, i was going to sneak in the titan but my companions called his attention :/ they all died so did I ;(
Beware my Rise,
                       Praise your Fall!!!

a smiling bearded cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOTHOUGHT][NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:27:14 pm »

When I get to a shrine and enter the slow travel/combat screen, I'll tell my companions to wait here, then I'll sneak toward the titan to see what kind of titan it is.

If it has fire/web and bleeds, and I don't have a bow/arrows, we'll leave and come back later. If it has fire/web and is made of a stone, I'll save it for that character's last chip away fight: retirement or death.

I've read there are metal titans, never came across one. If I did, these guys I'd skip (until retirement age) if they have web/fire because dying is a pretty much a certainty even with steel. Think of a bronze colossus with web or fire. Good times for him, bad for me.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:54:06 pm »

That's why I made megabeasts have tougher materials, whacking a dragon in the head and having it fall over dead was lame.

TheForgottenOne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »

And some miracle happened again, first time finding a labyrinth (scared to death) the Minotaur found me in the entrance, tried to trow sand (on her eyes) no effect came engaged into me and it all happened like this

picture upload sites
Beware my Rise,
                       Praise your Fall!!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:45:10 pm »

Yeah, I thought picks were incredibly effective as I killed a dragon once by throwing an iron one through its leg, then me and my companions stabbed it a lot, me eventually killing it by driving an iron longsword through the brain. Moral: dragons are wimps, but have tough skulls.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheForgottenOne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »

the Minotaur was indeed might but not necessary rich ... just found her hobby

free picture upload
Beware my Rise,
                       Praise your Fall!!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 05:23:49 pm »

I got that (and no treasure, I might add) when I attcked a labyrinth. Try exploring all of it, though loot is not garaunteed.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lightningy

• Bay Watcher
  • MOM GET THE CAMERA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 08:59:59 pm »

Dragons are not all that in this game. I mean you can bock their sunbeams with a wooden shield.
'What is life?', you ask. Fundamentally life is the apotheosis of pointlessness. We live to multiple. But what for? The Endless cycle of carnage pulls hardest on the furthest victim. An inescapable fate; one no one wants but we all desire. The more immoral we become the more ideal we are. A perverse oxymoron. We who live unencumbered but are the most burdened. We fight but at the end it is all for naught, as in life there are no winners; only the undistinguished.

GENERATION 29:
Copy and add 1.