Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the stress level "drawn and haggard" reversible?  (Read 9876 times)

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is the stress level "drawn and haggard" reversible?
« on: July 06, 2015, 11:39:08 pm »

In every instance I've witnessed, once a dwarf becomes drawn and haggard it is a point of no return. No amount of masterwork roasts and leisure time brings them out of their brood. These dwarves are very problematic because they pick fights often and destroy furniture and workshops in their tantrums, often only stressing out or injuring other more useful dwarves.

I usually isolate haggard dwarves and engineer an untimely end for them, because I believe there is absolutely no way to bring them back from this stress level.

What I want to know is, is "drawn and haggard" permanent, or, can it actually be remedied given enough time and happy thoughts?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Is the stress level "drawn and haggard" reversible?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:36:22 am »

Only when they get insane it's irreversible, maybe try to keep them for longer periods on rehabilitation, who knows?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:37:38 am »

anything short of the final snap (berserk/melancholy/stark raving mad) is reversible, but the deeper down the stress hole they get, the harder it is for them to get back out.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:54:13 am »

I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:39:03 am »

I had one get happy again... After producing a bed made from their own husband's body.
Hmm, so the huge happiness injection from making an artifact works, but are there more mundane sources of happy?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 05:14:45 am »

The stress meter is really just a linear scale with negative thoughts adding to it and positive thoughts subtracting from it. In current version it is entirely possible to recover a dwarf from even deepest state of unhappiness without artifacts; it just takes a lot of time and effort.

You could try to isolate stressed dwarves to an asylum of sorts; surround them with luxury and keep them away from stressful things like corpses. Allow them to interact with friends and relatives and make the mayor available for therapy sessions. In time the stress meter should go down when there are no negative thoughts to add to it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 05:31:19 am »

What I'd be curious is whether the stress level goes down by itself over time, or if negative thoughts stay "in effect" forever.
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 06:10:41 am »

What I'd be curious is whether the stress level goes down by itself over time, or if negative thoughts stay "in effect" forever.
I believe a dwarf with no negative (or positive) influences would naturally end up at 0. Neither stressed no ecstatic.
Trying to test this would be pretty much impossible though since they get thoughts from EVERYTHING.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 06:13:59 am »

As far as I know both positive and negative thoughts are just one-time events making just a single change to the stress score.

The exact amount seems to be calculated according to some formula using the type of experience, dwarf's personality traits and an emotion multiplier.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 08:29:39 am »

I believe a dwarf with no negative (or positive) influences would naturally end up at 0. Neither stressed no ecstatic.
Trying to test this would be pretty much impossible though since they get thoughts from EVERYTHING.
It's reasonably certain that this is the case. We know from Toady's dev log that stress recovers on its own with time. It is a safe assumption that he didn't make it so they go from neutral ecstatic with nothing going on. Toady may or may not have mentioned that dwarves come back down from ecstasy after time in one of the FotF replies.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 08:33:15 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?