Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C versus L  (Read 3809 times)

DwarfCon5

• Bay Watcher
  • Over and Under
    • View Profile
C versus L
« on: July 07, 2015, 01:43:05 pm »

The game plays out ironically like Fascists versus Commies, though the laws are even sillier. Can there ever be a middle ground to win the game? Both extremes scare me.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: C versus L
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 05:18:03 pm »

The Conservatives in Liberal Crime Squad are basically fascists, yes. However, in all honesty, the Liberals are more or less the standard American liberal, and aren't really that extreme (the "moderate" alignment in LCS is probably the closest thing to real American conservative). For example, most Americans are pretty close to L or even L+ on free speech, women's rights, etc.

An idea was bandied about about playing the game as the Conservative Crime Squad. In order to make the CCS heroic, many of the laws and views would have to be re-tooled. For example, the CCS would have to be fighting for free speech, instead of against it.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 05:32:42 pm »

The Conservatives in Liberal Crime Squad are basically fascists, yes. However, in all honesty, the Liberals are more or less the standard American liberal, and aren't really that extreme (the "moderate" alignment in LCS is probably the closest thing to real American conservative). For example, most Americans are pretty close to L or even L+ on free speech, women's rights, etc.

An idea was bandied about about playing the game as the Conservative Crime Squad. In order to make the CCS heroic, many of the laws and views would have to be re-tooled. For example, the CCS would have to be fighting for free speech, instead of against it.

I think you meant to write "expensive" speech instead of free speech. Voting with your dollars and all that.

DwarfCon5

• Bay Watcher
  • Over and Under
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 07:27:59 pm »

I think you meant to write "expensive" speech instead of free speech. Voting with your dollars and all that.

The sneakiest liberal is disguised as a conservative.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 11:36:07 pm »

The sneakiest liberal is disguised as a conservative.

It's called "free speech for all persons".  Persons, under the Conservative viewpoint, includes corporations.

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »

I always the MCS and TCS

Mondate Crime Squad   and the more Radical Counterpart Technocrats to exist and fucition

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 11:28:05 pm »

There is now a (partially programmed) Stalinist Crime Squad, which is C+ in some areas and L+ in others. It grew out of an idea to do what you said: have many different groups, but so far only the SCS has gotten past the concept stage.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 07:02:48 am »

Mondate Crime Squad
Did you mean "mandate" or "mundane"?  ???
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nosaneinme

• Bay Watcher
  • It time to play
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 08:03:22 am »

Mondate Crime Squad
Did you mean "mandate" or "mundane"?  ???

The middle faction, One with the yellow or white name and color

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 10:56:31 am »

Oh, moderate

Ya know, a Moderate Crime Squad would be in keeping with the outrageous, over-the-top nature of the game. I may make one some day. :)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 02:58:18 pm »

Oh, moderate

Ya know, a Moderate Crime Squad would be in keeping with the outrageous, over-the-top nature of the game. I may make one some day. :)
Given the tone, they'd possibly have a roll each round to see whether or not they act Liberal-allied or Conservative-allied.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 12:25:27 am »

I don't understand why you would have to play as a heroic version of the CCS when the CCS in this game is not at all heroic.  Games like Evil Genius, Grand Theft Auto, Sid Meiers Alpha Centari, Dwarf Fortress, and the like let you play the role of people whom are selfish or "evil" if you want too.

All you would need here to make the CCS motivations (and hence reason to play them ingame) justifiable like becoming one of the elite of the Confederate States of America, with justifications in their minds comming from a mix of ruthless business practices and bible quotes.

The last thing would be to change the victory statements for successfully "Reganizing" the country, in ways that sound more positive (and perhaps intentionally ignorant) such as:

"Anybody with enough money can become a multi-billionaire."  (Tax-Structure)
"All of gods gifts are cherished." (Abortion Law)
"You are free to hunt and fish on public lands without royal interference." (Animal Rights)
"The squads are paid very well, and they always do good work." (Police Regulation)
"If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." (Privacy Regulation)
"Unredeemable monsters are usually put down before they harm others, or soon thereafter." (Death Penalty)
"Advances in nuclear power allow for all kinds of industrial innovation." (Nuclear Power)
"Air are and water quality is in the hands of the responsible corporate elite." (Pollution)
"You have the right to work, we have the right to fire annoying people." (Labour Laws)
"Marriage is between one man, and one woman.  As god intended." (Gay Rights)
"Corporate Overlords fine tune every aspect of lives of those employed within their corporations, for they are the definition of benevolent." (Corporate Law) (May need shortening?)
"Hurtful and disruptive language isn't tolerated, and can be 'actioned'." (Free Speech)
"The Confederate Flag is a sacred symbol of this nation, and defiling it in any way is an act of treason." (Flag Burning)
"You have a right to defend yourself in any way you see fit." (Gun Control)
"Corporate Overlords benevolently assign soulmates to one another to help insure that nobody must live alone." (Civil Rights)
"Fine wine and crystal champagne is perfectly legal." (Drug Law)
"Elections are no longer needed, since the right to rule as King (only) is passed down from birth and ordained by god." (Election Reform)
"All possible measures are implemented to keep our lands safe from terrorist and treasonous threats." (Immigration)
"Honorable men are expected to come to the defense of honorable women." (Women's Rights)
"Paramilitary service is the most honorable way for a man to advance his position within our society." (Military Spending)
"Our institutions of justice are fully supported in their pursuit of the truth, by any means they see fit." (Human Rights)

First draft.  What do people think?

Edit:

Alternatively
"Camera's and flying drones everywhere suppress terrorists, treasoners, and unredeemables everywhere." (Privacy Regulation)
and
"You have the right to work." (Labour Laws)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:02:06 am by Neckbeard »

Taberone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

I like it so far. The Conservative spin on the laws is interesting.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 06:33:09 am »

Nice job on the laws there, Neckbeard.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.