Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35

Author Topic: Space Magic: A Gooey Mess[7/7] - Waitlist available  (Read 42214 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Space Magic: Sub-Orbital Delight [6/6] - Waitlist available
« Reply #360 on: September 03, 2015, 07:20:38 am »

((in fact, I might try out a somewhat novel move with my gravity powers when we are "safe" ...
nobody look at the island when I do ...Edit: maybe not. I don't think it will work like I thought it would work. oops.))
@Ozark: What was the plan you had in mind?
[/quote]It involved completely eliminating the gravity from a small amount of matter in order to cause an extremely large explosion. I realized that I would still have to overcome the weak and strong nuclear forces though. On revision, I believe I can do it, if I first compress the matter to a singularity, at which point the weak and strong forces sort of stop existing, and the matter becomes pure gravity. At which point, I apply general relativity, and boil an island clear of life, rocks, air, water, dust and reason.

How far are we from the island? I'd still kinda like to try the first one, then see if i can't expand my abilities into the other forces (weak and strong nuclear), before attempting to ... you know what would be just the coolest damned thing ever? you know the supermassive black hole that forms at the center of a lot of galaxies? the weight of them is on the scale of, well, galaxies, actually. What if one of those just suddenly converted completely to energy? Suddenly, like in instantly. Oh, it would take about 20,000 years for the entire galaxy to be destroyed (at least the Milky Way), but, I could see the inferno extending over millions of years to consume the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, at least, and probably even as far as Andromeda, before it stats to cool enough to not instantly atomize whatever it encounters. Or not. I don't know. I would have to math it out, and I don't know the formula for energy dispersion in a spherical pattern in space.

Yes. I am the kind of person who haswants to created catastrophes so big you don't even notice them for ten thousand years.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 03, 2015, 07:29:35 am »

Ambition, you have it.  8)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 03, 2015, 10:22:01 am »

"(How did I get to this...)
So huh...can we eat something?"
What do you mean? If your saying how your section of the story is sort of moving along on it's own rapidly... Sorry about that. You'll be on your own path to do what you want soon. I just wanted to set you on your way without saying "Okay, your in the wilderness, do something", ala the other group.

((in fact, I might try out a somewhat novel move with my gravity powers when we are "safe" ...
nobody look at the island when I do ...Edit: maybe not. I don't think it will work like I thought it would work. oops.))
It involved completely eliminating the gravity from a small amount of matter in order to cause an extremely large explosion. I realized that I would still have to overcome the weak and strong nuclear forces though. On revision, I believe I can do it, if I first compress the matter to a singularity, at which point the weak and strong forces sort of stop existing, and the matter becomes pure gravity. At which point, I apply general relativity, and boil an island clear of life, rocks, air, water, dust and reason.

How far are we from the island? I'd still kinda like to try the first one, then see if i can't expand my abilities into the other forces (weak and strong nuclear), before attempting to ... you know what would be just the coolest damned thing ever? you know the supermassive black hole that forms at the center of a lot of galaxies? the weight of them is on the scale of, well, galaxies, actually. What if one of those just suddenly converted completely to energy? Suddenly, like in instantly. Oh, it would take about 20,000 years for the entire galaxy to be destroyed (at least the Milky Way), but, I could see the inferno extending over millions of years to consume the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, at least, and probably even as far as Andromeda, before it stats to cool enough to not instantly atomize whatever it encounters. Or not. I don't know. I would have to math it out, and I don't know the formula for energy dispersion in a spherical pattern in space.

Yes. I am the kind of person who haswants to created catastrophes so big you don't even notice them for ten thousand years.

To be honest, I have no clue of the actual probability of being able to do this. My background in physics isn't very strong yet, so I have no clue what would be involved in doing such a thing. I mean, if anything, you could try doing it on a smaller scale, just blowing the island up. But, you'll definetely die in the process  :P .
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone: Sorry if the responses have had less depth and been straight-forward lately. That'll improve rather soon. It's mainly since the current area doesn't have much going on beyond simple shooting. Same for The Moonlit Shadow and conein, I just wanted to set up a stage for you. Soon, it'll be more freeform.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 10:33:07 am by HavingPhun »

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 03, 2015, 10:26:06 am »

no, don't worry, that was just my character thinking.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 03, 2015, 10:39:06 am »

Amplify my hearing and sight both to 500%.  Keep an eye out behind us and listen, to check if any creatures are still pursuing us.  Warn the group, if so.

If any team member desires boosted senses, do as requested.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 03, 2015, 10:49:01 am »

Stand by, be ready to shoot beasts of chaos at desired rate and efficiency.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 03, 2015, 12:32:58 pm »

"Allright guys, we are now out of fuel. Time to push it."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 03, 2015, 03:26:20 pm »

I mean, if anything, you could try doing it on a smaller scale, just blowing the island up. But, you'll definetely die in the process  :P .
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone: Sorry if the responses have had less depth and been straight-forward lately. That'll improve rather soon. It's mainly since the current area doesn't have much going on beyond simple shooting. Same for The Moonlit Shadow and conein, I just wanted to set up a stage for you. Soon, it'll be more freeform.
I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do something as simple and straightforward as vaporizing a small chunk of the planet's crust by means of mentally manipulating the very forces of nature without a few undesirable side effects. Darn it. Don't worry too much about real world physics. This is your universe, and what you say goes :P

Your posts have been fine. :))

Newton checks to make sure none of the monstrosities followed us, then attempts to block the gravity between the truck and the planet, such that the truck and it's contents become light enough to easily push around. He attempts to make this semi-permanent, so that he can undo it easily when necessary.

Well, I don't think I'm up to vaporizing that island on my own, so I guess that's that. Do you guys want to try and find the other magic people, or just get the hell off this dirt clod? Either way, south and west around the shore is our best bet for now, I think. Newton looks a little disappointed when he mentions his lack of nuclear hellfire, but the moment passes quickly.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 03, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »

"Slavery of our powered brethen is unacceptable. However the black menace back over there means we have to leave the planet soonish and bombard it into hypothetical oblivion. Both goals are of equal importance, so we will adjust our plans as situation developes."

Don't be in the truck when Newton messes with it.
Old sigs.
Games.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 03, 2015, 09:44:54 pm »

I mean, if anything, you could try doing it on a smaller scale, just blowing the island up. But, you'll definetely die in the process  :P .

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do something as simple and straightforward as vaporizing a small chunk of the planet's crust by means of mentally manipulating the very forces of nature without a few undesirable side effects. Darn it. Don't worry too much about real world physics. This is your universe, and what you say goes :P

Your posts have been fine. :))

Newton checks to make sure none of the monstrosities followed us, then attempts to block the gravity between the truck and the planet, such that the truck and it's contents become light enough to easily push around. He attempts to make this semi-permanent, so that he can undo it easily when necessary.

Well, I don't think I'm up to vaporizing that island on my own, so I guess that's that. Do you guys want to try and find the other magic people, or just get the hell off this dirt clod? Either way, south and west around the shore is our best bet for now, I think. Newton looks a little disappointed when he mentions his lack of nuclear hellfire, but the moment passes quickly.

Good point on it being my universe. I like that. My thoughts on your plan are that it would just take too much energy for you to overcome the forces required to do such a thing... and it would be too easy for the island to just be destroyed.

On the truck, it's design already makes it easier to push things. Still hard enough that it requires all of you to help, but not nearly as bad as pushing a wheeled carrier around.

You use your powers to negate the gravity of the planet effecting the truck. For the time the effect is active it makes pushing it much easier. You try to make the effect permanent, but the second you stop putting effort into it, the gravity begins to effect the truck again. Using your powers you can make the pushing easier, but no permanent effects yet. I'm not sure how I feel about those.

"Slavery of our powered brethen is unacceptable. However the black menace back over there means we have to leave the planet soonish and bombard it into hypothetical oblivion. Both goals are of equal importance, so we will adjust our plans as situation developes."

Don't be in the truck when Newton messes with it.

Done.

Amplify my hearing and sight both to 500%.  Keep an eye out behind us and listen, to check if any creatures are still pursuing us.  Warn the group, if so.

If any team member desires boosted senses, do as requested.

You do so. As far as you can tell, the chase has stopped for now. You do think that you saw some skulking around on the coast of the island though.

Stand by, be ready to shoot beasts of chaos at desired rate and efficiency.

You stand by, none come.

Forest Group:

So, the plan is to go to the town spotted by the river delta? If you had different ideas, we can reverse this after.

You all work together, pushing the hover truck using physical strength, and your own powers. After hours of trekking along the coastline, trying to stay out of the forest when possible, you find yourselves outside of a small village. The sun is beginning to set, and you decide to stop about half a mile away, in the woods. So you can make a careful approach.

At a glance, the village is medium sized, a distant sign says it has a population of around 1300 people. There is no telling how out of date that could be though. The village has one central road running through it, with rest being traversed using walking paths. Built against the shoreline is a building larger than the others, it has a small dock jutting out of it, and all the village paths lead to it. It must be some sort of administrative building. The single main road in the village heads out of it to the west, just wide enough for one vehicle.

Various dirt roads split off it, probably leading to small farms and homes in the nearby countryside.

You hear a loud yawn, The Captain sits up from the platform of the hover truck stretching his arms... He must have been sleeping in there with Ed while you were all pushing. Seems that he isn't so afraid of the dog anymore.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

"I see. About the other shuttles... do you think they could be other prisoners?"

"Possibly... We have tried to track the shuttles on that route many times. But, they always manage to throw us off. We think that they head to a remote base that we have seen whispers of in stolen intel. Some of them probably just contain supplies."

"(How did I get to this...)
So huh...can we eat something?"

"Yes! Eat up. We have a variety of foods. There are probably some foods that you off-worlders like that we could scrounge up. We also have some local delicacies that are delicious. Those chefs know how to make one mean screech rat... We are all out of Luma squids though.. sadly."

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 03, 2015, 11:59:41 pm »

"So, Captain, how you feeling?  Do you recognize this town or know where we are?  Also, I don't recall if I already asked, but what is your name?"

Talk to Captain.  If he needs boosted senses to identify this town, provide it.  If not, kneel toward the ground, amplify my sense of smell to 1000%, and try to detect any faint scents, such as from any other people who may have walked through these woods.  Based on the strength of the scents, try to estimate when people last traveled through this section of the woods.

(Since we are near a town, I'm trying to use a boosted sense of smell to determine if people are frequently traveling through these woods.  If so, we may need to be cautious about hunting parties or patrols finding us if we stay here too long.)
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 04, 2015, 01:09:43 am »

((The captain has rather nice talent for sleeping for not waking up after all that mess. And just how primitive is this village?))
Old sigs.
Games.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 04, 2015, 03:41:30 am »

"Well, I'll take the delicious delicacies then"
start eating those things

"So huh, any idea why the federation kidnapped us? What do we do now?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 04, 2015, 04:37:24 am »

"Looks like Podunk to me, that's for sure," PFC Fridge says as he sits down on the hovertruck. "We need rations and some way to take off from this damn planet soonish. The former we can get, the latter's gonna take some work."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 04, 2015, 08:17:56 am »

Newton sits in the truck with Fridge and Ed, scritching the latter behind the ears and taking a moment to relax, both physically and mentally.

Podunk, eh? I hope it stays this idyllic in the days to come.

How ya doin' Ed? Holding up okay? Say, what's the datajack in your neck all about anyway? And what's with the all blue eyes, little buddy?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35