Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: List the uncounterable mechanics in adventure mode  (Read 5089 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
List the uncounterable mechanics in adventure mode
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »

I'm coming back to adventure mode after a year without playing intensely, and I want to know what to avoid if I want a long lived adventurer.

So far the things I *believe* to be uncounterable are:

-curses by mummies
-webs by forgotten beasts and clowns
-fireballs from fire imps
-crushed fingers (it's an inevitability)
-infection in general

With new sneaking is it now possible to infiltrate a fortress crawling with demons without getting killed by their immense power? Or is a demon destroyed fortress bad news to stay away from at all costs?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: List the uncounterable mechanics in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:07:01 pm »

Fingers and infections aren't a big deal anymore, I've lost many a finger just fine.
Fireballs are blockable with a shield.
I once deconstructed the roof over a coffin to drop it on a mummy with advfort, being undead works just as well.
Fuck webspammers.

With new sneaking you can see the possible and probable detection radius/sight cones of various creatures, so yeah you could sneak around and do it, though there are weird things too like you might show up and find that the demons have moved in and assumed regular jobs!

cdru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 10:54:34 pm »

Losing fingers isn't a big deal,you don't need them to hold things.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 04:30:41 pm »

so a fingernail infection makes your finger fall off, and doesn't just eventually kill you?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 06:31:55 pm »

Fireballs are blockable with a shield.
No, but they are blockable with full plate armor. Any suit of non-flammable material will do just fine.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 07:54:31 pm »

I could swear I blocked all kinds of fire.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »

You CAN block them with a shield, the chances are just far lower than usual.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:54:05 pm »

I think TheFlame52 got it wrong... Flames on the ground are "blocked" by armor, fireballs can be blocked by shield very effectively.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 07:16:10 pm »

I feel like you should be able to cut yourself free of webs with a cutting weapon, or just plain rip out of them if you're strong enough.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 09:13:41 pm »

I feel like you should be able to cut yourself free of webs with a cutting weapon, or just plain rip out of them if you're strong enough.
This is definitely true, and it would save me the hassle of trying to set myself on fire to burn the webs away, which didn't work anyways, leading me to try setting a fire under the spider so it would retreat.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 10:30:31 pm »

When webbed, one can search on the ground for vermins or small rock, and shot at the enemy.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:36:51 am »

If your world has titans left, better add "deadly dust" to the unblockables. A wooden shield can block dragonfire, but not titansneeze.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 12:05:10 pm »

Jumping is something to add in adventure mode.  I'm not sure how much of an attack it is, but if you're around a pit and jump through some enemies, they'll try to dodge and sometimes fall.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:23 pm »

hmm I thought you can jump through webbing and campfires or in fact land on webbing from jumping and not be webbed.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 12:52:00 pm »

Sneaking around demons doesn't seem to work very well.
Might be because they have legendary observer or something, but their indicator cones aren't useful in the slightest.
Only way I've found to get around them is if they're distracted by wildlife.

Quick off-topic question: did the latest DF split up xbow fire/reload, or are they still locked together & therefore firing a crossbow solo is still certain death?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:55:36 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)
Pages: [1] 2