Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: List the uncounterable mechanics in adventure mode  (Read 5090 times)

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
Re: List the uncounterable mechanics in adventure mode
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 01:21:42 pm »

firing a crossbox is still certain death. I believe it takes like 10 steps to reload a crossbow?

First time I used a masterwork water buffalo bone one, tried to shoot a bandit leader from stealth.

Next thing I knew. He got up, and beat me to death because Adventurers prioritize loading their crossbow over remaining alive.

You're much better off throwing the bolts.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 01:31:11 pm »

Bummer, thought toady mighta fixed that back when he did the movement/action split.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 07:27:09 pm »

I guess it's because the firing is tied to an fort mode action and fort mode jobs are kinda longer than adventure mode ones. last I check most jobs if you dfhack them to run in Adventure mode takes over 100 ticks to complete which is more than enough time for someone to run up and stab you.
throwing faster I guess from no one in fort mode throws stuff on purpose.
wait if it's reloading that takes time couldn't it be easier and faster to drop all ammo but one bolt and fire that if you want to use a crossbow?

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 09:14:04 pm »

Sneaking and firing from a distance works if you maintain enough distance.

Very gamey to do, but you can always play against passivity. Campfires cannot be lit if you feel unsafe. But because of passivity the battle hasn't really started.

Whether you're outside or in a lair, you can erect a campfire wall and then begin shooting. Once they've fallen, you can jump over the fires and finish with melee, or you can remain behind the wall and keep shooting.

But yeah, without sneak or a wall of fire, 10 ticks is enough from a sprinter to move from one away to the tile next to you and attack twice.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 12:54:29 am »

Head-punches. Even getting nicked slightly on the head is enough to stun, and skulls can be caved in through steel helmets.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 04:30:57 pm »

Being in a body of water when it freezes.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 06:27:03 pm »

Getting cursed by a mummy is the most hilarious thing for you and the most unfortunate thing for your adventurer. Life becomes an eternal joke where the most implausible will happen if its only purpose in happening is to spite you. If you raise a mug to your lips to drink some dwarven rum you will only succeed in smashing the mug upon your face whilst spilling all of the rum onto the ground. Upon lowering the mug, you will find in that brief time it has become infested with cave spiders.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 07:13:41 pm »

Multi-attack was hilariously broken when it came out. Not sure if that's still the case. You could punch, kick, bite, and swing your weapon(s) in one go. For me, this resulted in multiple mortal wounds to an enemy in the space of one round.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34:22 am »

There is a pretty significant accuracy penalty on each additional attack, always felt there was but now it's easier since unk_3c under actions[k].attacks or whichever one it was is now known to be accuracy, with unk_30 attack velocity.

With high enough skill you can basically nullify that, with skill AND artifact weapons you can cancel it to the point where only a similarly skilled opponent has a chance to avoid being hit.

Multi-attack+controlled dodging though is damn close to uncounterable.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:40 pm »

There is a pretty significant accuracy penalty on each additional attack, always felt there was but now it's easier since unk_3c under actions[k].attacks or whichever one it was is now known to be accuracy, with unk_30 attack velocity.

With high enough skill you can basically nullify that, with skill AND artifact weapons you can cancel it to the point where only a similarly skilled opponent has a chance to avoid being hit.

Multi-attack+controlled dodging though is damn close to uncounterable.
So at high enough skill levels with good enough items, the game basically becomes a giant DnD battlegrid?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:23 pm »

Yeah, once you get the hang of it and are fast enough you can just dance through an army.

At lower levels it will keep you alive, at higher levels it makes you a god.
Pages: 1 [2]