Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 379588 times)

Ribbonfree

• Bay Watcher
  • we 【=◈︿◈=】 boys
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Jungle Fever!
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2015, 05:08:21 pm »

In any case, I think we can agree that should an organless FB appear, do not let it get to the surface. This is one hypothesis that we do not particularly need to test empirically.

I make no promises.

As for the civ being super authoritarian and all how are we supposed to justify kill the nobles when they mandate star ruby windows in their rooms it sounds like a fun idea! It would explain why people didn't just make Frog gtfo before his term was out.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2015, 05:22:31 pm »

In any case, I think we can agree that should an organless FB appear, do not let it get to the surface. This is one hypothesis that we do not particularly need to test empirically.

I make no promises.

As for the civ being super authoritarian and all how are we supposed to justify kill the nobles when they mandate star ruby windows in their rooms it sounds like a fun idea! It would explain why people didn't just make Frog gtfo before his term was out.

It's also why Frog didn't refuse the mission or at least ask for them to double-check their records (besides having crippling dependency issues and being terrified of pissing people off). You do not say no to His Gaudiness. You do not criticise or even question him or his regiment. That is how you get executed.

E: Although, I feel like His Gaudiness is also somewhat of an ineffectual and easily-influenced ruler, and that most of the real decisions are made by others in his court, most notably the Royal Archivist.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:24:24 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2015, 05:37:09 pm »

Alright, awake now. And fed. Will try to get Slate done, and then provide a Spring update tomorrow.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2015, 05:47:15 pm »

Alright, awake now. And fed. Will try to get Slate done, and then provide a Spring update tomorrow.

Boo to the yah. How's the FPS holding up? The site was a bit deeper than I would've liked, but it was the best place I could find that had magma, iron ore, seething mist, and no aquifer.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2015, 05:53:34 pm »

Faster than I'm used to since I've been playing 40.24 a bunch.

I also hate your initial fortress set up with an irrational burning passion Mr Frog. Everything's too small, the depot's not where I keep thinking it should be, there's already two marksdwarves (who are working on becoming more useful as hammerdwarves since we have nobody to carve any training ammo,) Noel got some of his teeth heabutted out by a toad, we have a ghost insulting Mr Frog's beard, and IT'S ALL YOUR DAMN FAULT.

Yes, this happened in the space of a single month.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2015, 08:33:08 pm »

I also hate your initial fortress set up with an irrational burning passion Mr Frog. Everything's too small, the depot's not where I keep thinking it should be, there's already two marksdwarves (who are working on becoming more useful as hammerdwarves since we have nobody to carve any training ammo,) Noel got some of his teeth heabutted out by a toad, we have a ghost insulting Mr Frog's beard, and IT'S ALL YOUR DAMN FAULT.

I was super sad because I'd thought I'd not managed to leave enough confusing WTFery for you to puzzle through, so I am absolutely pleased as punch to hear that the fundamental way I design a fortress is apparently incompatible with your playstyle.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 20, 2015, 02:07:40 am »

I was super sad because I'd thought I'd not managed to leave enough confusing WTFery for you to puzzle through, so I am absolutely pleased as punch to hear that the fundamental way I design a fortress is apparently incompatible with your playstyle.

Basically, that's what succession games are all about.

Also, Dwarf Fortress: Stories of beer halls and goose step confirmed.
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 20, 2015, 04:46:18 pm »

Less incompatible and more it just looks fucking lazy. Take some damn pride in your work man, bring an extra miner if you gotta. Seriously, this place is so lazily designed even in this early state that it's almost sad.

The Depot thing is legitimately irritating though. Kinda hard to keep a lockdown when you need to keep the gate open for caravans (I favor the "leave them to their fate" method of building the things.)

At any rate, found more hematite, some galena, and more gold. We also have some local rock crystal, if anyone wants to make the fanciest of windows. Will provide the proper update later tonight if the power doesn't go out.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2015, 05:07:49 pm »

Less incompatible and more it just looks fucking lazy. Take some damn pride in your work man, bring an extra miner if you gotta. Seriously, this place is so lazily designed even in this early state that it's almost sad.

The Depot thing is legitimately irritating though. Kinda hard to keep a lockdown when you need to keep the gate open for caravans (I favor the "leave them to their fate" method of building the things.)

At any rate, found more hematite, some galena, and more gold. We also have some local rock crystal, if anyone wants to make the fanciest of windows. Will provide the proper update later tonight if the power doesn't go out.

Lazy how? I'm not offended, just curious.

Although, if it bugs you in the way I think it's bugging you, thank your lucky stars I never got around to making bedrooms. For most of my forts I usually just copy-paste the same square 8-bedroom housing unit over and over and over (think I actually had the design as a macro at one point) until it looks like some kind of Escherian fever dream.

...I think I'm starting to understand why I got bored of this game :V  You only get out of it what you put in and I wasn't putting in jack shit

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2015, 05:28:20 pm »

I was actually pretty happy with the entryway's design. The depot is in a 'leave them to their fate' situation, and those three hatches can be locked to prevent the entry of literally anything from outside. I very much approve of it.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2015, 05:30:01 pm »

I know it's a matter of different playstyles, but, off the top of me head...

Central stairwell is rather small. I go for 3x3 or 5x5. I'll make it known, I am a bit of a symmetry whore when it comes to certain things.

Dining hall and food storage are abysmally small. Same for the farms. Thier placement of everything is also highly disjointed.

Industries in general are painfully disorganized and crammed in tiny spaces. We also have two bowyer workshops. For some reason.

As to housing, lately I've been doing a system with room for four dwarves and plenty of open space: A bed, chest, and two cabinets each, set up so that the cabinets can be perceived as a "wall" of sorts between the personal spaces. I'm hoping such a set up is good for promoting community (and thus increase the chances of violent rioting if a wave of deaths hit.) Looks pretty nice too.

Noel doesn't have his own quarters. As he is bookkeeper, this angers me. Not sure why.

Depot placement aggravates me to no end, as does the slightly swirly walls. The Depot is mostly just a matter of preference, but the walls legitimately bother me. Makes the wagons take longer to get to it and get the fuck out when they wanna leave.

Speaking of, we have elves. Kill or trade?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2015, 05:33:26 pm »

They volunteered to help make bones.  Nah, leave them alive for now, you've got enough on your plate with the mutants AND the Spawn.
((Speaking of, have any been seen yet???))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2015, 05:43:55 pm »

They volunteered to help make bones.  Nah, leave them alive for now, you've got enough on your plate with the mutants AND the Spawn.
((Speaking of, have any been seen yet???))

They may pop up this turn, but right now it's just kobolds trying to nose around the area.

Ribbonfree

• Bay Watcher
  • we 【=◈︿◈=】 boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2015, 06:07:29 pm »

I feel like not making enemies of the elves may be a bit more prudent in this particular locale and fortress. Blasphemy, I know, but hear me out. They might be our best source of some high quality exotic mutants we otherwise wouldn't find on the map.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2015, 06:18:18 pm »

I feel like not making enemies of the elves may be a bit more prudent in this particular locale and fortress. Blasphemy, I know, but hear me out. They might be our best source of some high quality exotic mutants we otherwise wouldn't find on the map.

Considering we can't put in orders, said supply would be highly irregular and a bitch to really get to usable levels.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 140