Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 379472 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Literally Begging For Players
« Reply #1605 on: May 20, 2016, 12:14:10 pm »

If we unleash them on the surface we're not getting any more immigrants for a very long time. However long it takes for whatever enemies we have nearby to kill them, and unless we suddenly get a bunch of waves of Spawn, it's going to take a while. Assuming we can't get them confined again.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:36 pm »

We got migrants just fine with the Greater Spawn unleashed unto the surface. His Gaudiness' order was to re-take our rightful moutainhome with the only caveat being, 'most of the old fort will still be vaguely-intact.' Besides the entire FB vs. GS plan works on the fact that the FB's can be killed by crossbow fire from fortifications while the GS's would just screech the dwarves through the fortifications. The FB's track record 1v1 against GS's has so far been rather poor though.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: May 20, 2016, 02:00:14 pm »

Alright, good point. But they probably won't 1v1 the GS; it'll be more like 3 or 4v1. Don't we have around 10 FB's hidden around the fort?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: May 20, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »

Alright, good point. But they probably won't 1v1 the GS; it'll be more like 3 or 4v1. Don't we have around 10 FB's hidden around the fort?
Around? They're literally all on one tile.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: May 20, 2016, 02:09:28 pm »

His Gaudiness has demanded that I try and reclaim the lost part of the fort.
After talk with those with more knowledge then me I have decided to try and separate and trap the demons. Which will also follow his gaudiness's command of getting rid of some of the children.

Good to see someone finally remembered that His Gaudiness is a psychotic tyrant on top of being the most useful worker in the fortress and an all-around paragon of dwarfhood. although, it occurs to me that he may well end up dying of old age before the fort does at this rate

Some of the writing in the screenshots is a bit difficult to read (pity, because most of it's hilarious); I'm not sure which program you're using, but if it's Gimp or something similar you should put the text on separate layer on top of the screenshot, then put another layer inbetween to fill in a background underneath the writing (You can also use Gimp's color selector, Grow Selection, and flood-fill functions to give the text a black outline underneath, which is what I personally do). That said;

Slate 23rd
While the novelty of watch the spawn chase the mutant was beginning to wear thin another monster apeared in the depths in the cavern above us.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[Yes, come on in  It's not like your our only uninvited guest  go on and kill each other! have a nice talk with the others  you could go upstairs and try to help evict our tennants they arn't paying their rent]

This made me actually laugh out loud and thus has earned its place in the quotes bank (with the accompanying caption for ease of reading).

I would like to submit that a single GS absolutely shredded a cave dragon 1v1 while sustaining minimal injuries, and they are basically immune to noxious substances so most FBs probably won't fare much better. HOWEVER, I'm pretty sure they aren't web-immune, so a webber FB should be able to hamper them significantly. Also, they seem to be able to be overwhelmed by large groups of weaker foes, so sending 4 or 5 FBs after them would probably work, although the FBs will likely still sustain heavy casualties.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: May 20, 2016, 02:42:01 pm »

So we're solving two problems at once then?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: May 20, 2016, 02:48:36 pm »

So we're solving two problems at once then?

I'm just concerned that we'll run out of FBs before we do GS.

Also, while trawling through the thread to collate Aldra's updates, I stumbled on this gem:

Seconded.

Can we get a Therapist screen of current kids by age so we can decide on a minimum age for children we don't want turned?

Also can someone draw a dwarfy, "You must be <-This tall, to live," sign picture pls :)

I think we have a new thread title, dudes.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- You Must Be This Tall To Live
« Reply #1612 on: May 20, 2016, 03:25:11 pm »

Well, if you're not <-This tall, you're not needed :P

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: May 20, 2016, 04:15:37 pm »

From my experience with Whisperwhip, normal demons, even the lamest and fragile ones, will outright annihilate all but the most badass of FB on a bad day. Not sure about the modded greater spawn, but vanilla demons are laughing at 97 percent of beasts thanks to thwir syndrome immunity.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: May 20, 2016, 04:26:50 pm »

How would a titan husk fare against a demon?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: May 20, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »

They are both unkilable except from massive damage. At this point the winner is he largest, strongest and fastest one, unless the other is lucky. Long and exhausting fight either way, full of missing parts, scars and broken bones. The demons slowly heal, while the parts of the husk can reanimate. Interesting matchup in any case.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: May 20, 2016, 05:11:52 pm »

This question is mostly academic at the moment, as neither the husks nor the demons in this fort are standard.

E: Also I checked, and as far as I can tell I did in fact forget to make the clowns web-immune. So, if we happen to have any web-spinning FBs farting around, y'all can go ahead and tie the fuckers up (perhaps as part of a cage trap?). I believe we actually reclaimed our FB web farm a while back with the beast within still unharmed, although I'd rather keep that particular one if at all possible -- giving up an easy source of free cloth seems less-than-appealing to me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 06:05:20 pm by Mr Frog »

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: May 21, 2016, 12:09:37 am »

Wow you guys had quite the discussing while I was asleep.

Some of the writing in the screenshots is a bit difficult to read (pity, because most of it's hilarious); I'm not sure which program you're using, but if it's Gimp or something similar you should put the text on separate layer on top of the screenshot, then put another layer inbetween to fill in a background underneath the writing (You can also use Gimp's color selector, Grow Selection, and flood-fill functions to give the text a black outline underneath, which is what I personally do). That said;

Slate 23rd
While the novelty of watch the spawn chase the mutant was beginning to wear thin another monster apeared in the depths in the cavern above us.
[Yes, come on in  It's not like your our only uninvited guest  go on and kill each other! have a nice talk with the others  you could go upstairs and try to help evict our tennants they arn't paying their rent]

This made me actually laugh out loud and thus has earned its place in the quotes bank (with the accompanying caption for ease of reading).
Thanks, I see you like my sarcasm from what I understand do more, got it, but use better writing. One of the reasons it's so bad is because I don't normally write with my drawing tablet. :P
I used to use gimp but I found a program named Krita(which was original a gimp hack but has evolved sense then) recently which better meets my needs for art, I checked and it does have a text tool I'll use that and will use your suggestion to make the text more clear.

Oh and my writing for the second forgotten beast reads: Welcome to the Party bars to the left couches to the right snacks are down stairs and the hords of the damned are up stairs.

If you don't get it most of the Forgotten beasts are lounging on the second cavern layer with the dwarves below and the GS above. Thought that one might be a bit subtle.
Seconded.

Can we get a Therapist screen of current kids by age so we can decide on a minimum age for children we don't want turned?

Also can someone draw a dwarfy, "You must be <-This tall, to live," sign picture pls :)

I think we have a new thread title, dudes.
After my first play session I actual decide to do some art and did this.
It is not finished if I had to guess how complete it is I would say about 1/3.
Yes the anatomy isn't that great, I haven't done any human anatomy practice in about a month, been drawing dragons. Also, the color probably won't be that good either, when I get to it. More because I don't have enough practice at color then I don't know what to do. Actually that pretty much the same for my anatomy to, I know what I need to do, I am just not that good at doing it, yet.

Edit: Forgot to respond to this.
I imagine that to Mebzith and Olin, Clobbermountains is an entirely normal moutainhome without any incidences of note.
If my calculations are correct they were either two or three when we lost the old fort so the probably don't remember any more if  it weren't for all the stories they have heard, then again they might have never seen any spawn in the evacuation because if they saw any spawn I am sure they would remember at least a little bit.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:23:48 am by Aldraglienon »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: May 21, 2016, 12:33:54 am »

Thanks, I see you like my sarcasm from what I understand do more, got it, but use better writing. One of the reasons it's so bad is because I don't normally write with my drawing tablet. :P

Not really just the sarcasm itself; rather, what got me was how you expanded the ironic casting of the FB as an unexpected but welcome guest into a larger metaphor in which the Greater Spawn were cast as squatters in our property which our "new friend" could aid in evicting. (I hope that made sense; I feel like it didn't) It was very novel.

THAT SAID

You can't really build the Perfect Gagtm from the ground up. I've tried. It doesn't work. Just be you, dude. I think the best humor comes when you express thoughts that only you could have thought, if that makes sense. And I think I'll stop there because I'm sounding more and more like a motivational poster

Also the writing wasn't too illegible on its own; the problem was that there wasn't enough contrast with the substrate, so the letters were hard to make out.

I used to use gimp but I found a program named Krita(which was original a gimp hack but has evolved sense then) recently which better meets my needs for art, I checked and it does have a text tool I'll use that and will use your suggestion to make the text more clear.

yessss krita master race REPRESENT

I agree that Krita is amazing, although I personally prefer Gimp for simple things like screenshot editing or sprite art (if only because I still haven't fully figured out how to work Krita).

Oh and my writing for the second forgotten beast reads: Welcome to the Party bars to the left couches to the right snacks are down stairs and the hords of the damned are up stairs.

If you don't get it most of the Forgotten beasts are lounging on the second cavern layer with the dwarves below and the GS above. Thought that one might be a bit subtle.

It wasn't too subtle.

After my first play session I actual decide to do some art and did this.
It is not finished if I had to guess how complete it is I would say about 1/3.
Yes the anatomy isn't that great, I haven't done any human anatomy practice in about a month, been drawing dragons. Also, the color probably won't be that good either, when I get to it. More because I don't have enough practice at color then I don't know what to do. Actually that pretty much the same for my anatomy to, I know what I need to do, I am just not that good at doing it, yet.

Your artwork is greatly appreciated, dude. I like the axe wedged into the height chart, along with other details like the one dwarf's missing leg and the state of everyone's clothes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:35:26 am by Mr Frog »

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: May 21, 2016, 01:11:42 am »

Not really just the sarcasm itself; rather, what got me was how you expanded the ironic casting of the FB as an unexpected but welcome guest into a larger metaphor in which the Greater Spawn were cast as squatters in our property which our "new friend" could aid in evicting. (I hope that made sense; I feel like it didn't) It was very novel.
Yah that one was pretty good, it has deep levels of meaning! :P
truthfully I have heard the squatters metaphor applied to a variety of DF related situations and I thought it would be perfect for the situation which is why I used it. But then again, a lot of stuff is made from redoing things which we've heard or seen before.

You can't really build the Perfect Gagtm from the ground up. I've tried. It doesn't work. Just be you, dude. I think the best humor comes when you express thoughts that only you could have thought, if that makes sense. And I think I'll stop there because I'm sounding more and more like a motivational poster
I kind of already know this, I come from a family with many smartasses (so most mundane puns don't work on any my relatives) and when ever I tried to force a joke because I felt it was the perfect situation for one but could think of anything it generally fell flat so I try not to do that any more.

Your artwork is greatly appreciated, dude. I like the axe wedged into the height chart, along with other details like the one dwarf's missing leg and the state of everyone's clothes.
If you pay attention the dwarf with the missing leg is holding up the tablet because the other dwarf is missing an arm.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 140