Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 379431 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Things Are As Bad As They Seem
« Reply #1875 on: July 07, 2016, 11:51:05 pm »

I'd be okay with you reverting the save if you went with that. I did my best to fuck things up in the fort, and I think you'll see just how much effort I put into that once you see the save, but I just had no time for the writeup.

I'm wondering what you could have possibly done at this point that'd be even noticeable at first glance. This place is a MESS. This is the fort that had a legitimate FB crisis for no other reason than that the Overseer at the time literally could not keep track of the fort's layout despite his very best efforts. Unless literally the whole place was flooded with magma it'd just look like business as usual :V

I don't think that this is in the hall of legends. But it should be.
Welcome to the nomination thingummy!

FINALLY! AFTER 12 LONG MONTHS, VINDICATION!

Thanks bro
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 08, 2016, 02:11:01 pm »

I'd like to be dorfed as the jeweler, if at all possible at this point
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: July 09, 2016, 09:09:27 am »

Sorry I didn't post the save yesterday! I'll have it up after work today around 4 PM EST.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 09, 2016, 11:01:52 am »

Well that was... an anticlimax.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 09, 2016, 03:01:18 pm »

The very forces of God are trying to prevent me from uploading the save. There's a massive lightning storm and I don't have power at the moment. Will be up as soon as I can fucking turn on my computer.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 09, 2016, 03:03:52 pm »

:o
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 09, 2016, 11:45:34 pm »

Sorry for the absentee adminning!

So, the plan is that we're rolling back to the last save. I feel really bad about not bumping The Master back a slot when it was obvious he was busy with... um... the other fortress (its name escapes me at the moment), but that's a whole shitload of spilt milk that isn't worth crying over at this point. We need to get this shit back on the rails. I'm PMing NCommander presently, although realistically he'll probably be busy with Boarpaints for the foreseeable future so the fortress will likely end up in TheFlame's hands once the dust settles.

@The Master: I am incredibly sorry about all of this.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1882 on: July 10, 2016, 12:01:14 am »

I'm here. I'm nearly done with Boarpaints (in both senses). Unfortunately, I don't think I can top my death and destruction spree with Clobbermountains; I racked up a 100 body count in Breadbowl, and topped that at 180-ish in Boarpaints. What I do is mostly if I am taking the last turn.

My current ideas involve either trying to capture spawn, or caving in the volcano ...

EDIT: I look at the save. What the fuck am I looking at? Is hell really 78 Z high? Are we having a competition for most evil caverns? Why do we have underworld spawn?

EDIT 2: His Guadiness is 157 years old. I checked DFHack (Dwarfs come with a built in expiration date). I won't reveal when he's due to die, but let me just say there's a very good chance he'll going to keel over before Clobbermountains does.

EDIT 3: Ok, given I actually want to the king keel over from old age, I'm actually not going to try and fuck this place over. I've narrowed my choices down to three

1. Try and reclaim upper Clobbermountains via stragetically positions marksdwarfs
2. Colonize Hell, its nicer than the rest of the place.
3. Fuck all, take inspiration from the fact we have a silver animal trap and go try and make as much cheese as I can.

Given the sheer amount of fuckery this fort has, option 3 is oddly appealing. I'm trying to figure out how bad reclaiming upper Clobbermountains and the surface would be.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:01:58 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 10, 2016, 07:54:09 am »

No worries Frog! If I could go back, I'd have thought a little harder about if something was going to get in the way. Next time I work with you, my turn will be so much better. Considering that this turn was frankly garbage on my part, it wouldn't be hard to top it.
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 10, 2016, 09:36:56 am »

Next time I work with you, my turn will be so much better.

Play with you*

If I have to keep reminding myself that this is just a game and there's no point getting upset over it then I'm gonna remind all of you as well :)

Also I wouldn't call your turn "garbage". There was a terrible streak of bad luck, and despite that you put in the effort to get up something and that something was honestly quite entertaining, it just didn't really work as a fort update.

E:

I'm here. I'm nearly done with Boarpaints (in both senses). Unfortunately, I don't think I can top my death and destruction spree with Clobbermountains; I racked up a 100 body count in Breadbowl, and topped that at 180-ish in Boarpaints. What I do is mostly if I am taking the last turn.

My current ideas involve either trying to capture spawn, or caving in the volcano ...

EDIT: I look at the save. What the fuck am I looking at? Is hell really 78 Z high? Are we having a competition for most evil caverns? Why do we have underworld spawn?

EDIT 2: His Guadiness is 157 years old. I checked DFHack (Dwarfs come with a built in expiration date). I won't reveal when he's due to die, but let me just say there's a very good chance he'll going to keel over before Clobbermountains does.

EDIT 3: Ok, given I actually want to the king keel over from old age, I'm actually not going to try and fuck this place over. I've narrowed my choices down to three

1. Try and reclaim upper Clobbermountains via stragetically positions marksdwarfs
2. Colonize Hell, its nicer than the rest of the place.
3. Fuck all, take inspiration from the fact we have a silver animal trap and go try and make as much cheese as I can.

Given the sheer amount of fuckery this fort has, option 3 is oddly appealing. I'm trying to figure out how bad reclaiming upper Clobbermountains and the surface would be.

Why not all three? :V  2 in particular interests me. If nothing else, Hell has a much saner topography than Clobbermountains proper at this point. Heck, why not combine it with #3? We shall fill Hell with the cheese of the damned.

Also, 1 might actually be semi-doable with a bit of luck. Remember that we still have the entire Spire's worth of candy to go through (and there's almost certainly at least one more adamantine spire somewhere on the map which would also be entirely for the taking now that Hell's already blown its load all over us). I don't think Spawn can use armor either, so we may not even have to worry about soldiers turning into candy-coated Spawn.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:43:30 am by Mr Frog »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 10, 2016, 12:39:53 pm »

4. Reclaim upper Clobbermountains via webbed cage traps returning Erib to proper throne or tomb as suitable. Mine all of the adamantine ore out, build Greater Spawn cages in hell and re-seal off with adamantine wafer floors, release Greater Spawn back into hell to prove Dwarven superiority then abandon fort after raping both the land and hell - business as usual. Optional; leave an artifact in hell to entertain the surviving Greater Spawn for eternity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 10, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »

WE SHALL RETAKE WHAT IS OURS.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1887 on: July 10, 2016, 04:59:43 pm »

After a good nights sleep, and looking once again into the save of madness, I'm going to forgo upper Clobbermountains. There's a reason for this.

Dwarf Fortress is a bit weird on  how it decides critters will enter the map, and there is only one type of demon (GREATER_SPAWN) in total. As such, if my theory is correct, as long as they stay free in upper clobbermountains, Hell should remain an empty safe bastion in which to extend Dwaf civilization. So down we go.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with banshee's as well, though given they're trap avoid, that somewhat limits my options.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 10, 2016, 05:03:26 pm »

After a good nights sleep, and looking once again into the save of madness, I'm going to forgo upper Clobbermountains. There's a reason for this.

Dwarf Fortress is a bit weird on  how it decides critters will enter the map, and there is only one type of demon (GREATER_SPAWN) in total. As such, if my theory is correct, as long as they stay free in upper clobbermountains, Hell should remain an empty safe bastion in which to extend Dwaf civilization. So down we go.

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with banshee's as well, though given they're trap avoid, that somewhat limits my options.

Demons: Yeah, Hell's been empty so far, at least as far as I know. I take it I should add an asston of dummy 'clones' of the Greater Spawn next time so that they'll respawn properly? :D

Banshees: I think we have turkeys. Just breed an asston of poults and pen them in a bunker near the surface. Assuming they target the nearest valid creature, they should scream at the birds and ignore the dwarves entirely.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1889 on: July 10, 2016, 05:26:07 pm »

Unfortunately, we don't have any animals where we can reach them. There are a bunch of turkeys and such in cages from when the last caravans got nuked. I ran into this problem since I have no way to make leather. I may have to give our new marksdwarfs adamanite quivers because I have no other way to load them up.

I'm looking at the feasibility of trapping the caverns to try and get a breeding pair of something. Save is plodding along at about 20 FPS so I'll have a first update soon.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 140