Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 379758 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Everything Is Proceeding Smoothly
« Reply #930 on: November 06, 2015, 01:57:03 am »

What's worrying me right now (besides the fact that our remaining dwarves are one unpleasant odor away from going Higurashi on each other's asses and a single FB coming in through the second cavern layer would be all it takes to obliterate us) is what will happen when we run out of demons to protect us from the banshees. Once I set the demons free, we will basically be completely-isolated from the surface world, with no new migrants being able to come in barring a miracle. In other words, each successive banshee siege will easily be able to knock out all of our remaining dwarves with a single wave of screams, which will become a huge problem once the demons are no longer able to evict them for us while everyone's twitching. I'm seriously debating just leaving the demons to stew in our old fort for the time being and instead attempting to rig up some sort of pressure-plate-operated contraption to kill banshees for us while our population sleeps off the scream; it must be entirely-automated, require minimal upkeep, and be nearly-100% effective at keeping banshees out of the fort, as even if our dwarves are conscious enough to fight, all of our weapons and armor are still stuck in the old fort.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 06, 2015, 01:58:52 am »

Well, At least it was a more interesting death then open door head bit off. :) Because the spawn were chasing me, they weren't killing other dwarves which is at least semi-heroic death. However, if you found me in the dining hall I was most likely just trying to get a drink and find a nice chair to sit in. :P
''Excuse me, demon sirs, I'm not drunk enough to deal with this invasion of yours right now''

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 07, 2015, 02:38:40 am »

Access to the farming level -- along with its trove of discarded plump helmet and strawberry seeds -- has been restored, and I've begun work on an improvised dining hall decorated with masterwork slabs (fitting, I'd think) in order to hopefully generate some happy thoughts. Our dwarves will be snacking on rum biscuits until the shrooms start to come in. We're nowhere near out of the woods yet -- a third of our dwarves are miserable, two children have gone insane due to me being unable to give them busywork to keep them amused, and I'm still not sure how the hell we're going to actually go about rebuilding our population with the fort sealed off -- but our little glimmer of hope is looking slightly brighter. Armok take the motherfucking wheel, we may actually get out of this.

E: I honestly really want to use DFHack to try to clear up some of the garbage and spatters all over the place to hopefully bring my FPS back to double digits (it's hovering around 8/9 at the moment), but I'm legit afraid that I'll fuck something up somehow.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:42:53 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 07, 2015, 02:46:02 am »

will be snacking on rum biscuits until the shrooms start to come in.
Sounds like a fun party description if you ignore the rest.

mikethete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 07, 2015, 08:43:34 pm »

Wow, we have officially doomed the world at large.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 07, 2015, 09:57:47 pm »

I just want to say, this recent turn of events REALLY reminds me of deathgate.

Lets not end up like deathgate did.

Please.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 07, 2015, 10:18:51 pm »

I just want to say, this recent turn of events REALLY reminds me of deathgate.

Lets not end up like deathgate did.

Please.

Never read much of it. What happened with Deathgate and why do I need to avoid it?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 07, 2015, 10:33:32 pm »

I'd say essentially taking the whole region with us is a suitable way for a fort to end.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 07, 2015, 10:46:41 pm »

I'd say essentially taking the whole region with us is a suitable way for a fort to end.

tbh as long as we're safe from banshees I could frankly not give less of a shit about the rest of the continent and their "right" to not having their faces be eaten by flying mutant dwarves

Aldraglienon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 07, 2015, 11:28:06 pm »

tbh as long as we're safe from banshees I could frankly not give less of a shit about the rest of the continent and their "right" to not having their faces be eaten by flying mutant dwarves

Wait a minute, so GS have wings and or can levitate? ...Everything not protected by several meters of rock is really really screwed now.

Well, at least we're getting a front seat to the end of the world. I'll bring the popcorn...

oh, wait I'm dead... someone else is going to need to bring popcorn my ethereal fingers have trouble picking stuff up. :P

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 07, 2015, 11:31:42 pm »

Wait a minute, so GS have wings and or can levitate? ...Everything not protected by several meters of rock is really really screwed now.

Well, at least we're getting a front seat to the end of the world. I'll bring the popcorn...

oh, wait I'm dead... someone else is going to need to bring popcorn my ethereal fingers have trouble picking stuff up. :P
Well, they are hostile to both banshees AND normal spawn, and both those civilisations are much, much closer than the dwarven ones. The way I see it, this actually was a great military move to cripple our opponents.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 08, 2015, 02:20:57 am »

Well, they are hostile to both banshees AND normal spawn, and both those civilisations are much, much closer than the dwarven ones. The way I see it, this actually was a great military move to cripple our opponents.

Assuming the banshees won't singlehandedly stop the apocalypse, considering that I accidentally made them too strong (although that's really only with bows, and their scream is useless against the Spawn despite the fact that I obviously made them able to let it off too quickly) and the Greater Spawn much too weak (I think if I ever use them again I'll give them a 50% size increase and a werewolf-style resistance to most materials). There's a story idea for ya -- the despised species heading off the end of the world and becoming heroes.

I think after I install the lever to properly release the demons I'll leave them in for a bit on the off chance that a stray migrant wave comes in, since we desperately need new blood in here. If a banshee wave comes, I'll simply flip the lever and let them out, although I doubt the demons will be able to fend off more than one or two sieges for us.

On that note, construction on the release lever has been started. Once I've finished that and my little project to reclaim the Spire, I'll start on the writeup and pass the save off to the next player that's up to the challenge. We are currently in mid-spring.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 08, 2015, 05:15:47 pm »

Bad news, bros: a Greater Spawn somehow managed to get out of the fort at some point and is fluttering around in the sky above the fortress. It doesn't seem too eager to attack, but it's making outside construction/general activity all but impossible -- in other words, that last bridge is probably not going to be linked. Urgh.

E: Gonna figure out how to put a poll up. One second.

E2: There you have it. I'm honestly not sure if the fort can realistically keep going in its current state, and even if it can't, it's going to be one hell of a boring, protracted death which probably won't be too interesting to read about. We can keep going and hope for the best, roll back to before Taupe's turn and hope it turns out better, or just let the fort die.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:27:26 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 08, 2015, 05:33:57 pm »

I vote we lit it die. Have whoever's left get whatever they have handy to fight with, and if nothing else, face death with dignity.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 08, 2015, 07:12:22 pm »

Keep going.
If it's going to die it's going to die, but we should make the world pay for every inch.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 140