Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372670 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
(34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)
« on: July 12, 2015, 12:21:43 am »

If all else fails, we will have managed to completely-pooch this site to the point where a reclaim isn't even feasible, which is an accomplishment I guess. Also, Aldraglienon is dead.
HOLY SHIT THERE ARE SEVEN FORGOTTEN BEASTS ON THIS ONE TILE

IN ALL MY YEARS OF SAVING SUCCESSION FORTS I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING THIS BOGGLING

WHAT EVEN IS THIS FORTRESS
I wonder... Is that really what winning at Dwarf Fortress feels like?

NOTE -- Please read the NEW, CONDENSED rules thoroughly before requesting a turn! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Welcome to Clobbermountains! Please enjoy your stay!
A fortress founded in the heart of enemy territory -- a steaming jungle choked by a cursed crimson haze. Will our dwarve's labor and the volcano's fire lead us to wealth and prosperity, or will we be taken by madness and wither away? (Who am I kidding; it'll be the latter.)

This is a succession game for 34.11, as from what I've heard the current generation of DF has a terrible problem with sieges not working right, which... isn't much fun. I'm hoping to get a good story going with lots of community involvement, so any contributions are welcome even if you don't sign up for a turn!

This fortress uses generally-vanilla DF, with three additions: a Holistic Spawn mod similar to what was used in Spearbreakers, an edited thrall-ifying interaction made to not be quite as OP as vanilla thralls (the affected are much stronger than normal dwarves but can be killed through normal means, unlike normal thralls), and a special hostile race -- banshees -- added to punish turtling.

Please note that, despite the inclusion of the Holistic Spawn, this fort has no intended connection to Spearbreakers and a tenuous-at-best connection to the Headshoots trilogy. Spearbreakers is Splint's (hideous, deformed, ill-tempered) baby and I don't want to infringe on that. For the sake of explaining the Spawn's presence storywise, the fort uses a loose version of the events described in Headshoots in which a warrior named Holistic was corrupted and mutilated into an armless demon whose spawn rapidly overran the world.

Anyways, here are the rules:

TO OVERSEERS:

Please accept or decline your turn promptly. I will PM you when your turn comes up. If you do not respond within 48 hours you will be skipped.

Please stay in touch after beginning your turn. If I don't hear from you for more than 72 hours at a stretch I will first send you a PM, then skip you if there's no response after 24 hours. Also, please for the love of Christ do not make me pester you constantly.

Please provide at least one in-story update every 7 days. If you need extensions on this, feel free to ask, but don't push your luck.

No massive weapon-trap hallways or weaponised atomsmashers. All other contrivances are acceptable.

No danger rooms, Spikes of Enlightenment, or similar training exploits.

Please only use DFHack to fix bugs or improve game performance. Cleaning the map, unsticking migrant traders, or pacifying soldiers is acceptable. Reveal, fastdwarf, etc. is not.

Please use only ASCII tilesets. No graphics packs. A lot of people don't know how to properly uninstall graphics packs. If you use one and our display tiles get fucked up I will eat you.

Please give in-character writeups, preferably with lots of screenshots and hopefully with effort put into the writing.

If you must cancel your turn prematurely, please upload your current save.

Spoiler: old, scary rules (click to show/hide)

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

Please contribute! I don't care how shitty you think it is, any illustrations or story bits are welcome! Just please follow these guidelines:
> No crazy OCs. No cyborgs, no planeshifting gnome scientists (...ahem), no supernaturally-empowered avatars of extradimensional beings. You don't have to make your dorf completely-average, but please don't have anything that can't already conceivably-exist in the current setting, at least not without running it by me first.
> No massive long-running story arcs unless you've done that kind of thing successfully before. I've seen things, bro. Terribly, terribly disappointing things.
> Finally, for the sake of my sanity, please try to make sure everything's copyedited and the grammar and spelling are all nice. It's not a big deal if you don't. Just think of it as a favour to me.

Please try to keep discussion on-topic! I'll keep a running list of links to fortress updates for people who just want those, but for the sake of my sanity I won't link to every cool thing everyone posts, so if we could keep digressions to a minimum for the sake of people who want to read the whole thread it'd be great.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 06:35:52 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Jungle Fever!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:22:15 am »

Turn List
Please note that if your turn comes up and you haven't been active on the forums for a while, I'm just gonna skip you over without bothering to notify you, so please stay in touch!

Completed -- Aborted Midway -- Current -- Skipped

Mr Frog
Splint
cherry-hearts
pisskop
Gwolfski
mikethete
Splint
ImagoDeo
Crashmaster
cherry-hearts
pisskop
Taupe
Mr Frog (Emergency Fortress Salvaging)
Lolfail0009
melkor
biggestcheesemaker
Crashmaster
4maskwolf
Aldraglienon
DolosusDoleus
chaotic skies
Crashmaster
TheFlame52
Monitor Lisard
Puzzlebark
Imic
Aldraglienon
Monitor Lisard
The Master
NCommander
Lolfail0009
Monitor Lisard
DolosusDoleus

Dorfing List
I request Overseers to please pay attention to this list and dorf waiting players as new dwarves become available -- giving priority to people who are waiting for a turn -- and to notify us of who you've dorfed in-thread so I can take them off the list. Please specify what sort of dwarf you want, else you'll just get a random dwarf! The format is Name <dwarf's owner if their name is different> -- Preferred Gender -- Preferred Vocation -- Custom Title (if any).

Future Overseers:
(dunno anymore lol)

Other folks:
(see above)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:26:49 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:22:37 am »

Update List

Prologue

Mr Frog: 1, 2, 3, 4, Save
Splint: 1, 2, 3, 4, Save
cherry-hearts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, Patched Save
pisskop: Prologue, 1, 2, 3, 4, Save
Gwolfski: (Skipped) 1, 2, 3
mikethete: 1, 2, 3, Save
Splint: (Partial) 1, 2, 3, Save
Crashmaster: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Save
pisskop: 1, 2, 3 (consecutive), 4, 5, 6, 7 (consecutive), Save
Taupe: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Save
Mr Frog: (Partial) 1, 2, Save
Lolfail0009: 1, 2, Save
Crashmaster: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Save
Aldraglienon: 1, 2, 3, Save
DolosusDoleus: 1, 2 (Google Doc), Save
chaotic skies: (Partial) 1, 2, 3, Save
Crashmaster: 1, 2, 3, 4-6, 7, Save
TheFlame52: (Partial) Prologue, 1, Save
Monitor Lisard: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Save, Save (.zip)
Puzzlebark: (Skipped) 1, 2
Aldraglienon: Prologue, 1, 2, 3, 4, Save
Monitor Lisard: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Save
The Master (non-canon): Prologue, 1A (at this point the turn was reset due to FPS death), 1B
NCommander: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Save
Monitor Lisard: 1, 2, 3, 4, Save
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 05:47:42 pm by Mr Frog »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:23:19 am »

Quotes I Found Funny At Some Point

Did anyone else have a realization along the line of "Did we just plan to make some sort of Auschwitz camp to make zombie mutant attack dogs?"
Or was that just me?
I have other fish to fry right now, but I'll be back to journaling.  At some point.

[moments later]

Speaking of other fish to fry XD
I was all, "You dudes have trespassed on our territory, and in the name of Queen Datan Chewlance, Queen Urvad Fortressvoiced, and His Gaudiness King Erib Catchtowns, I sentence you all to death. (The elves started looking concerned at this point.) The path of the righteous dwarves is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil dudes. Blessed are we who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherd the weak through the valley of the darkness, for we are truly our bro's keeper and the finder of lost children. And we will strike down upon you dudes with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy our brothers. (Then I raised my other arm and all of the crossbow guys loaded and aimed together; it was really neat and I'm pretty sure that the lady elf shit herself.) And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you!" (I worked all night on that speech so I hope it's good.)
So umm, highlights of my reign include a baby falling into the volcano and finding adamantine [...]
we are running out of space. For corpses. and figurines. of corpses.
We have two-dimensional cheesemakers now? Yikes.
That's good. Once a fortress runs out of milk, uni-dimensional cheese-makers become pretty useless.
Right as the mutants were dealt with, a siege of banshee arrived and mass-paralysed half the army while a bunch of ogres stomped on their skulls. Named dwarves died. More on that when i can post screenshots. The fight is won, but we've lost about twenty dwarves so far, half children and half soldiers. The survivors are asleep outside or tantruming. This is a glorious fortress.
I would like to point out that up to this point, including the eerie cavern and horrifying scream part, I was very satisfied with myself with this incredibly well executed plan.

Then I pressed U to check out what kind of hilarious clowns we had.

Then I learned something interesting and terrifying about modding.

That being said, I never felt irony so strong as when I sat at my computer after meticulously and purposely digging straight into hell for hours, only to then declare ''Oh no I've doomed the fortress, this is not what I expected!''
Dwarves killed by environment, invaders, and madness: Who the fuck knows or cares anymore.
Computers fried by Fort: 1. Even Real Life isn't safe.
Clobbermountains
This is a dwarf fortress
Main entrance
Main halls
Industries
Forges
Military
Mines
Emergency second fortress
Paralytic
You have to understand that the greater spawn have spent countless eons in the depths of hell. Naked. If you discovered clothes for the first time in forever, you'd be going crazy over that shit too.

Cuz for the first time in forreeeeeeverrrrrr
There'll be rat brains, there'll be socks
For the first time in forEEEEEverrrrr
There'll be something besides rocks

The obvious solution is to have a dedicated animal trainer with no other duties besides keeping the giant fire-breathing monster happy.

We have not the dorfs for magma.

Let us instead use ambulatory fire.
After finishing with the mining of the spire site (and converting it to tree-farming maybe) we might want to move to hell. It's nice and roomy down there. Probably safer too.
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CORPSES
WHY IS EVERYTHING FORBIDDEN
WHY ARE THERE A BUNCH OF MINECARTS SPLASHING MAGMA
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DEAD THINGS
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CHILDREN
WHAT THE FUCK ARE BANSHEES
WHY IS THERE A GREATER SPAWN IN AN OFFICE
WHY IS LITERALLY EVERY AVAILABLE SPACE FULL OF COFFINS
WHY IS THERE A SKELETON IN THIS BEDROOM
WHY ARE THERE THREE FOUR FORGOTTEN BEASTS HERE
WHY IS THE STAIRCASE FULL OF WATER AND CORPSES
HOW DO WE HAVE A LIVING KING
WHY IS THE KING DEPRESSED
WHY IS THE KING MISSING AN ARM
WHY ARE THESE COFFINS ALL MUDDY
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY BODIES
WHY ARE THERE ONLY TWO GHOSTS

WHO LET THIS HAPPEN

All in all, I rate this fortress at 1.7 Murdermachines.
HOLY SHIT THERE ARE SEVEN FORGOTTEN BEASTS ON THIS ONE TILE

IN ALL MY YEARS OF SAVING SUCCESSION FORTS I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING THIS BOGGLING

WHAT EVEN IS THIS FORTRESS
Slate 23rd
While the novelty of watch the spawn chase the mutant was beginning to wear thin another monster apeared in the depths in the cavern above us.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[Yes, come on in  It's not like your our only uninvited guest  go on and kill each other! have a nice talk with the others  you could go upstairs and try to help evict our tennants they arn't paying their rent]
I've decided what I'm going to do on my turn.
You still think you're going to have a turn by the end of this?
"Dark, darker, yet darker. This place is falling apart at the seems, tearing itself down. Survival rating, negative. This next turn seems...interesting. What do you guys think?"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:02:33 pm by Mr Frog »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 12:23:50 am »

-- Reserved Post --

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 12:24:28 am »

Prologue incoming (possibly tomorrow, as I spent all day setting everything up and fine-tuning the mods and am pretty tired)! Please feel free to sign up for a turn or request a dorfing now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 01:03:29 am »

Dibs on a turn, taking Commander. Weapon of choice, a flanged mace if using Stal's armory (I highly recommend it as it makes the combat much more hectic and backwards patching it looks pretty easy,) sword of some sort in general if not.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:12:39 am »

Dibs on a turn, taking Commander. Weapon of choice, a flanged mace if using Stal's armory (I highly recommend it as it makes the combat much more hectic and backwards patching it looks pretty easy,) sword of some sort in general if not.

Unfortunately, I have already picked out a spot and embarked, so I don't have that much flexibility regarding supplies and dwarves at the moment ^^; I can totally make you militia captain, though, if you don't mind being a speardwarf. Otherwise you'll have to wait a bit.

Ribbonfree

• Bay Watcher
  • we 【=◈︿◈=】 boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 01:22:03 am »

I'll take an early turn! Sounds like a hard set of mods, hopefully I can guide us to not dying.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 01:51:16 am »

I'll take an early turn! Sounds like a hard set of mods, hopefully I can guide us to not dying.

Sure thing! Do you have any preference re: dorfing or should I just give you whoever?

cherry-hearts

• Bay Watcher
  • Best Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 01:59:18 am »

Dwarf and turn plox!

Jeff -- Male -- Grower -- The Plantmaster
"Un estado totalitario armonizará en España el funcionamiento de todas las capacidades y energías del país, que dentro de la Unidad Nacional, el trabajo estimado como el más ineludible de los deberes será el único exponente de la voluntad popular."
—Francisco Franco

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 02:14:04 am »

Prologue

The Diary of Mr Frog Thusestdeler, Stoneworker

15 Obsidian 200
I... I don't know what just happened! A bunch of officials from the Mountainhomes just turned up at my workshop today, saying that I was to head an expedition to found a new outpost in the name of the Torrid Lash! By order of the His Gaudiness himself, too! They said that I was "just the right dwarf for the job" and my "exceptional and well-rounded resume" made me the primary candidate, but... but that doesn't make any sense! I'm just a simple stoneworker! I pointed that out to them, sort of, but they were so sure that I was the one they were looking for and I didn't know what I was supposed to say to them, and you can't just refuse official orders from the King! So I'm an expedition leader now... it's exciting, I admit, but I haven't even been outside of the fortress in 10 years! I can't even skin a crundle, let alone rough it in the woods with a bunch of dwarves whose safety I'm in charge of!

The scariest bit, though, is the place we're being sent to... I'm not much of an artist, but here's a quick sketch of the Deteriorated Continents (interesting name, huh? Fitting, too; seems every other region here is under some sort of fell curse. We're quite the destination for adventurers and thrill-seekers, and a terrible place for a wimpy little craftsman who's quite better off staying in as little danger as possible):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For some reason, the King has assigned us to build a fortress in the Stunted Jungles, right in the middle of the banshees' hunting territories. W're literally sandwiched in between a bunch of those creepy witch-women's villages there! On top of that, I've heard bad stories about this place... nothing, er, terribly-specific, but enough for me to be sure that that place is bad news. As if that wasn't obvious enough -- any place those fell hags like to skulk around in obviously isn't a place decent folk should have any truck with.
   We are still sort of close to our homeland, so there's that, but the Empire of Omen (such nice people) and Realm of Slop (I've never quite understood the name; humans sure are weird) are far to the northeast, and I'm not sure I like being so close to the pointy-eared hippies up north, although that's the least of our worries given the circumstances.

Also... it looks like they have a bunch of hives in the mountains right to the south. I shudder to think of what will happen when they take notice of us... I've never seen one of Holistic's Spawn in person and I think I'd rather it stay that way. They say they took over most of the southern continent through sheer brute force after they appeared before the time of our first queen, Datan Zursulkubuk (may she dine in Dwarfhalla forever), and that their bites can mutate dwarves into more of them! I can't even imagine why the King would want us so close to those horrible things! What am I supposed to do if they attack!? I can't fight! I can barely even lift the stones I work with!

Overall, this is looking to be quite a bit more adventure and derring-do than I, a simple stoneworker, am capable of, but there's nothing for it. Orders are orders, even if they make no sense. I'll just have to make the best of it. Not sure how, precisely, but I'm sure some good will come of this, assuming I don't get my head ripped off or those witches don't turn us into bats or something. ...Ohh, what am I going to do!?!?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:58:33 pm by Mr Frog »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 02:19:18 am »

Dwarf and turn plox!

Acknowledged. You get to be one of the starting dwarves since I brought a grower. Is there a specific personality you're going for so I can reflect in the writeup?

In any case, I'm off to bed for tonight. Super tired. Will start my playthrough in earnest tomorrow!

cherry-hearts

• Bay Watcher
  • Best Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 02:25:40 am »

Dwarf and turn plox!

Acknowledged. You get to be one of the starting dwarves since I brought a grower. Is there a specific personality you're going for so I can reflect in the writeup?
I'm going to be going for a pretty laid-back sort of personality.
"Un estado totalitario armonizará en España el funcionamiento de todas las capacidades y energías del país, que dentro de la Unidad Nacional, el trabajo estimado como el más ineludible de los deberes será el único exponente de la voluntad popular."
—Francisco Franco

Ribbonfree

• Bay Watcher
  • we 【=◈︿◈=】 boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 04:28:57 am »

Sure thing! Do you have any preference re: dorfing or should I just give you whoever?

Oh yeah, sorry!

Ribbon -- Female -- Any Job
Cheerful and sociable, smart but often distracted.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 140