Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 379212 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Jungle Fever!
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2015, 06:24:27 pm »

Why don't we just use caged goblins for mutant warfare? Replacements are in large supply, and they even come pre-equipped with weapons and armor. It's admittedly not quite as metal as using our own residents, but on a practical level it seems promising.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2015, 08:27:24 pm »

Why don't we just use caged goblins for mutant warfare? Replacements are in large supply, and they even come pre-equipped with weapons and armor. It's admittedly not quite as metal as using our own residents, but on a practical level it seems promising.
Or zombies. They don't need organs, do they?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2015, 08:43:06 pm »

Or zombies. They don't need organs, do they?

There are no zombies on this map.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2015, 09:28:44 pm »

[I'll have a proper set of journals for later and link'em here. For now, let us begin.]

1-1-202

Mr Frog's been getting increasingly erratic, and as of noon today I've assumed command at his request. I seized the Overseer Logbook from him and when I informed him so, he said it was fine because he was supposedly going to give it to me at dinner tonight anyway.

First order of business, is clearing this garbage about Rakust. She's dead, and we all know it.

Everyone was almost instantly turning on Mr Frog - who was having a massive panic attack at the declaration, screaming that she wasn't dead - but Lizzy spoke up and said something about it being a typical accident when igniting magma furnaces. Girl's a bit creepy, doesn't really talk much. But at least when she does, she really has a reason to. Speaking of, I spoke with her husband and found out she's from the Frontier Guard, killed two banshees even.

The names sound familiar. Might be the witches who gave some of the border forts a monumental pain in the ass a few years back. There's also another candidate, who frankly should have been given this post over me: ImagoDeo. I thought I recognized his name when they all filed into the fort. Part of the Capital Guard when they were deployed out to The Earthen Swamps a few years back. From what I understand, that dwarf is a monster when he wants to be. Took out two platoons of goblins and then some on his own during a battle in that region.

I hate to ask them both to put their lives on the line again, but in a place like this, we really could use all the dwarves with prior training we can get our hands on, so I left them each a note by the drink stockpile.

I've also put in an order for some wheelbarrows to haul the copper we have at the moment, and for some Bucklers for the marksdwarves. Won't be much, but if someone closes with them, it won't matter anyway unless they're really good brawlers.

I've set up some light patrol and heavy duty metal uniforms (or more, I nailed a spare tablet to the wall in the forges with the items needed for each.) A simple leather set-up won't be worth much, but if we have an emergency response team, that'll be what to give them.

I've also set up duty rosters for an additional 6 squads: 4 melee, 2 ranged. I don't care what anyone says, I don't trust any marksdwarf to reliably kill a spawn.

1-3-202

Put in requisition form for 4 additional crossbows.

The Cloud disgorged another concentration from the northwest. Rolled over the volcano mouth, but thankfully the heat seems to keep it out.

Also told Mr Frog to quit making pots and to get back to digging up hematite and copper (preferably the former, because he seems to have developed a minor speech tic; I swear to Vumom he keeps muttering the word hematite.

1-11-202

Fuck you nature. Fuck you with the biggest, splinteriest dildo the elves can provide.

-

Double fuck you nature. And let's upgrade that to a big, knobbly, rusty, spiked dildo, made by the most unskilled metalcrafter in the world.

A fucking frog crawled out of the caves about an hour after our bumblefuck of a former overseer knocked a hole in the wall. I can't fault him for the wall bit but but gods damn, you'd think he'd have had the sense to stop when he knocked a hole in the wall big enough to see through. Bit the crap out of Noel, though thankfully the worst injury he got was some teeth knocked out when the thing headbutted him.

Whatshisname made us some iron spears (after I told him to quit piddling with that engraving - someone else could do it later,) and I was picking up mine when Lizzy shouted an alarm, so Mikethete took care of it. Both rearmed now though.

1-15-202

Told Mr Frog to knock it off with the pots and plug that stupid hole (since the last three people I told to do it haven't.) Also asked Ribbon to slice up that giant toad before it rots; the bones will make for some good trade materials.

1-20-202

Once the hole is plugged I'm going to begin laying out accommodations, 7 urists tall, 6 wide on the outline. Enough space for either two families of three or four couples/single individuals to live comfortably. I also sincerely hate the layout of this place. Everything feels... Laid out wrong. The depot looks like it's in the wrong place, the central stairwell is too small, hell, the everything is too small in this miserable place.

1-22-202

Another cloud rolled in. Might be a monthly or bi-weekly occurance. Not sure. Need to wait for it to pass all the same though, cause we need more wood.

1-26-202

Mr Frog organized a party in that room he calls a dining hall. I'd have given him a swift kick in the dick, but maybe some time to relax will help settle his mind.

2-2-202

If anyone doubted my declaring Rakust dead, they can't now. Just wish someone would make that stupid slab I asked for two weeks ago especially since in between baleful moaning and insulting Mr Frog's beard, she keeps complaining about it.

We've also spotted some migrants, and I've begun screening them for military candidates.

-

Sazir, Swordsdwarf, Veteran of War with the Elves. Killed a bear and it's rider.
Mistem, Macedwarf, Veteran of Mauvegrip Skirmish against the Banshees, one banshee kill, and one bear kill. Installed as Sergeant of The Rounded Papers.
Kumil, Child. Son of Sazir and Mistem.

Adil, Speardwarf, Veteran of Mauvegrip Skirmish, one bear kill. Assigned to The Golden Men.

Zaneg, Marksdwarf, Veteran of the War of Beasts, Capital Guard Member. Killed two ogres at The Earthen Swamps. Confirmed the kills on ImagoDeo's record. Assigned to The Tan Caves under
Momuz, Swordsdwarf, Veteran of the War of Beasts, Capital Guard Member. One Ogre kill at The Earthen Swamps. Installed as Sergeant of The Glowing Roads.

Ustuth, Macedwarf, Unknown conflict veterancy, claims to have served in the Capital Guard at The Earthen Swamps. Assigned to The Rounded papers.
Onget, Speardwarf, Unknown conflict veterancy. Assigned to The Golden Men.

Thikut, Axedwarf, Veteran of Mauvegrip Skirmish. One banshee kill. Skill in metalcrafting, and now assigned to carve training ammo for The Tan Caves as well. Assigned to The Rounded Papers (to shore up weakness of maces.)

Iton, Macedwarf, Eathen Swamps veteran, Lizzy's older sister. one goblin kill. Assigned to The Rounded Papers.
Ducim, Sowrdsdwarf. Assigned to The Glowing Roads and tasked with smelter operation with Ustuth.

Kib and Ber, Sword and Spear respectively. One human and two banshees at The Earthen Swamps. Glowing Roads and Cobalt Planks.
Vabok, Son of Kib and Ber.

Aban, Marksdwarf, one elf at Mortaldawn (fitting name, heh,) 9 banshees at Seducedmurder. Tan Caves.
Rigoth, Macedwarf, one elf kill in Prophetivy. Rounded Papers.

Sibrek, Axedwarf, 10 banshees, Earthen Swamps.
Besmar, Hammerdwarf.
Child, Daughter of Besmar and Sibrek.

Dastot, Axedwarf, 1 bear.
Nil, Axedwarf, 8 Banshees.

Installed ImagoDeo as Sergeant of The Cobalt Planks and Assigned Lizzy to his unit as a reservist force. It will act as a combined arms unit, with Nil, Sibrek, Dastot, and Besmar to serve with them so thier skills stay sharp in case we need them. Dastot's serving as our CMD, so hopefully they won't end up in that sort of situation...

-

Population is now 41, going to fill out the remaining duties in administration.

2-24-202

Managed to get booze production going. All I had to do was have Noel tell everyone we were down to not even one mug a person and the farmhands jumped right on it. It'll just be that nasty mushroom wine, But still. Better than no booze at all.

2-28-202

Call it a hunch, but I feel like we aren't alone here.

3-3-202

Another cloud. Seems my suspicions are confirmed, very roughly bi-weekly. This time it blew up from the south east, caught a python, which thrashed about for a bit and wriggled out of the area. Thing had more in common with a lumpy plump helmet and yak meat sausage than a python after that...

3-4-202

More minerals, in particular, hematite is in there! Maybe that'll distract Mr Frog from the whole "being accosted by the dead" thing. Which he wouldn't need to worry about if someone would, I dunno, make that fucking slab and set it up perhaps?

3-16-202

Elves sighted, looked to see what we have for sale to attract people. Not much, just a bunch of spar mugs and an extra metal crossbow Aban won't be using anymore. Still, we could use the cloth in case anyone goes a bit funny in the head and wants rope reed cloth.

Weapons production is going well. Rounded Papers are armed with copper maces (it's a bit heftier than iron is, so it should hurt more if I remember right, and saves iron for bladed weapons and armor,) And the Glowing Roads can begin training as soon as they have the space to do so.

3-20-202

Another cloud.

3-24-202

Iton spotted a kobold today and took care of business. Knocked it down before it could take off and bashed it's head in with her shield!

[The fact this only took two hits pleased me to no end and I'm not sure why.]

-

Iton is dead. We got attacked by fucking kobolds. kobolds. They jumped Iton in the entrance while she was picking up the slain Kobold's gear to sell to the elves, heard the commotion and brought The Glowing Roads with us. Ducim suffered a minor cut on his leg, but aside from that, there were no other losses or injuries.

Iton's killer escaped though unfortunately. It's been labelled with the epithet of Steppeinked. My guess is because the ground was inked with Iton's blood.

So guys, spring is more or less done. And we got our first ambush. Not banshees, not goblins, not even Spawn, but we got jumped by fucking kobolds. Fun fact,this was my first kobold ambush ever. In 3 - 4 years of playing this game.

Spent it mostly getting the military in order, setting up the magma foundry more fully, laying some groundwork for living quarters, expanding the food storage and dining hall, hunting for ores, and observing the cloud patterns. I'm open to suggestions on renaming the squads.

Population is currently 40 (out of 41,) many of whom have prior combat training and have been thrown into squads reflecting this.

Population: 40
Total casualties: 3. 1 dead, two wounded.
Net Pop. Gain from last Overseer: +28

Injuries/Deaths
Swordsdwarf Ducim, shallow leg injury inflicted by Kobold spear.
Bookkeeper Noel, several of his back teeth knocked out by a giant toad headbutting him.
Macedwarf Iton, Shot in the head by kobold bowman.

My only question now is what in the literal fuck would kobolds want with this miserable pit? Were our iron high boots really that nice?
Those little bastards must know something we don't about this place.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2015, 09:36:00 pm »

((Splint!  Splint!  Rah rah rah!))
((The kobolds don't want IN to the fort, they want OUT of the jungle!  That was obviously a message arrow!  Or...Multiple message arrows!!!))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2015, 10:07:55 pm »

Why is it that I seem to consistently spend days and days obsessively-balancing mods for succession forts only for the real threat to be something stupid, like medical malpractice or tiny kleptomaniacs with shitty bows? (Admittedly it's only been twice now, but that's twice too many)

Lots of fun journal fodder this update, so I guess it's time for me to get to writing *grumble grumble*

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2015, 10:23:11 pm »

With no reliable way to go outside and claim stuff thanks to the mutafog, I've got a feeling that the kobold issue will only amplify over time...

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:39 am »

With no reliable way to go outside and claim stuff thanks to the mutafog, I've got a feeling that the kobold issue will only amplify over time...

Gosh, I sure hope so. My knowledge of succession forts is far from encyclopedic but I'm pretty sure meeting our end at the hands of motherfucking kobolds would make us at least fairly-notable.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2015, 02:09:42 am »

You say, Lizzie's married? That'll make things a bit more complicated. What's her husband's name?

And, by the way, Iton and her journey will provide some additional material for the journals.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow we're holding the most important meeting of this century.

When our propaganda reaches every single dwarf in the world, the columns will rise, and will come marching in to the Mountainhome. But His Gaudiness, as honarable as he is, will probably not be ready to support our cause. He also wants the brighter future for the dwarvenkind, and he will not accept any conditions from a group of rebels, even respectable-looking.

But we are no filthy mutineers. We are the people's voice. And we do not want to crush and ravage our glorious state or rob the wealthy. No, this is a goblin's friend talk. We are willing to show the real dream of our nation... War! War till there are no enemies! War till the golden age of our kind!

We know, some dwarves in the government support us. Even barons and counts... But we need to estabilish closer ties with the counsil members. And not with some high-ranking figureheads. I think, I know just the person... His Gaudiness trusted counsellors should be able to change his mind, and we will obtain the perfect leader for our nation.

For the glory of all dwarves!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 03:36:01 am by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

cherry-hearts

• Bay Watcher
  • Best Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2015, 04:41:49 am »

Jeff's Journal, Entry 4:
So, this hot ghost just appeared in the fortress. Cool huh? She looks just like that hot fisherdwarf too. The old bossman says that she's alive, and the new one says that she's dead; I dunno, and I don't really care. Speaking of the new bossman, he's an even bigger hardass than the last one. Since he wants us all to work so hard, why not expand the fields, man? And while you're at it, why not give me a better personal suite?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:48:07 am by cherry-hearts »
"Un estado totalitario armonizará en España el funcionamiento de todas las capacidades y energías del país, que dentro de la Unidad Nacional, el trabajo estimado como el más ineludible de los deberes será el único exponente de la voluntad popular."
—Francisco Franco

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2015, 04:55:51 am »

Why is it that I seem to consistently spend days and days obsessively-balancing mods for succession forts only for the real threat to be something stupid, like medical malpractice or tiny kleptomaniacs with shitty bows? (Admittedly it's only been twice now, but that's twice too many)

Lots of fun journal fodder this update, so I guess it's time for me to get to writing *grumble grumble*

On the upside, at least we didn't end up Waterburned in this kobold encounter (look under "Epic Fail.") Iton was probably only killed because her squad is, at present, going to be last to get its kit discounting, weapons. Her mace was also produced, rather tragically, right after she was killed.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2015, 06:23:56 am »

Diary of Noel Logemsedur, bookkeeper of Clobbermountains

12th of Granite, year 202
I struggle to believe it, but a giant toad attacked my out of nowhere and knocked some of my teeth out. By Tumam, this hurts! I should never have come here, at this rate I'm going to die before I reach the age of twenty.

3rd of Slate, year 202
This night I heard Rakusts voice. Perhaps it was some sort of fever dream, I was lying in agony again due to my broken teeth. Am I slowly losing my sanity?

20th of Felsite, year 202
I hear her every night and sometimes at day. She says how it was my idea to come here, how it is all my fault. Stop It, please! Start haunting Mr Frog instead!
Perhaps she simply needs to be remembered. I shall ask the Overseer for a memorial slab.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2015, 06:37:31 am »

On the upside, at least we didn't end up Waterburned in this kobold encounter (look under "Epic Fail.") Iton was probably only killed because her squad is, at present, going to be last to get its kit discounting, weapons. Her mace was also produced, rather tragically, right after she was killed.
Yer link is broken.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2015, 09:10:03 am »

Yer link is broken.
It works fine for me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2015, 03:53:43 pm »

If its alright with you guys, I'm taking the day to work on some commission stuff (I gotta get game money somehow,) and just piddle with the fort. Might get something done, might not.

Today's just been pretty depressing and even dorfs can't fix that. Will return to the fort in earnest tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 140