Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 372710 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Jungle Fever!
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2015, 12:48:18 am »

I kinda agree about banning danger rooms, yeah. I can waive the ban temporarily if it's an actual emergency.

The Diary of Mr Frog Thusestdeler, Stoneworker

3 Limestone 202

I saw poor Noel hobble into the hospital today!! His chest was mang scratched up a bit! He must have fallen down the stairs, poor thing! He should watch where he's stepping better. I sent him some get-well flowers to cheer him up, since he might be strapped there a while! Although, I couldn't find any flowers, so I dumped some pretty cave mushrooms in a box and called it even. I hope he likes it!!

11 Timber 202

Splint told me the outpost liason arrived! I think he'll be so happy to see all the pretty ladies that've moved here (not that they pay my runty ass any attention). He told me to meet with him "post-fucking-haste" and to not waste time with distractions, so that's what I'll do, after I finish all these other things that need doing! These get-well bouquets aren't going to arrange themselves! I wouldn't want to disappoint Splint, nope!

13 Timber 202

[the writing in this entry is incredibly-shaky, almost to the point of illegibility]

One of thE CATS turned UP DEAD today!!! I've never seEn soMething CHewed up LIKE that MUST HAVE been from OLD AGE, poor thing!

I THOUGHT I heard spLINT muttering something aboUT SpA Our FARM stOcks are FINE, THOUGH, so I'M NOT SURE WHAT he's talking about!

E: Updated the OP to add a clause banning danger rooms (thank you Splint) and to also clarify what the Spawn actually were and did, since I noticed my "description" didn't actually describe them in any capacity and basically amounted to "HURR READ SPEARBREAKERS AND SYRUPLEAF"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:13:11 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2015, 01:12:06 am »

Diary of Noel Logemsedur, bookkeeper of Clobbermountain

9th of Limestone, year 202
I remembered to box of cave mushrooms Mr Frog brought to "cheer me up". I wasn't too happy to see him. I'll throw them away as soon as i can walk again.

13th of Timber, year 202
the cave mushrooms are starting to pile up in my room. Looks like the sanity of the first Overseer is in a worse state than I thought. He seems oddly worried about my well-being.

5th of Granite, year 203
I somehow survived the second year and we have a new Overseer. I must say, this place starts to look like a proper fortress. Splint completed his term without going insane.
Some people said that a spawn of Holistic paid us a visit. By Armok, this is not a good sign. At least it was slain quickly, but how many more will come?

That bit of history is really interesting. It is notable that dwarven history is dominated by a single Queen who ruled for half the time the civilization existed.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2015, 01:21:52 am »

That bit of history is really interesting. It is notable that dwarven history is dominated by a single Queen who ruled for half the time the civilization existed.

Considering how our civ's been fleshed out, I imagine there's something of a lingering cult of personality enforced around the Great Queen Urvad, with random quotes from her treated as profound nuggets of hidden wisdom and her name and her name and supposed approval being used as an accessory to make the Crown's actions more-palatable (e.g. "In the name of the Great Queen Urvad, His Gaudiness hereby sentences these 200 pug puppies to death on charges of heresy!" [deafening cheers, chants of "URVAD! URVAD!"]). Edit: Speaking ill of the Great Queen in any way likely is an excellent way to land yourself in the slammer for some "re-education".

(I hope all of that made sense; I wasn't feeling 100% today and I think I've hit the end of my rope :V  I can't remember how words work right now.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 01:27:56 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

mikethete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2015, 12:15:27 pm »

Considering how our civ's been fleshed out, I imagine there's something of a lingering cult of personality enforced around the Great Queen Urvad, with random quotes from her treated as profound nuggets of hidden wisdom and her name and her name and supposed approval being used as an accessory to make the Crown's actions more-palatable (e.g. "In the name of the Great Queen Urvad, His Gaudiness hereby sentences these 200 pug puppies to death on charges of heresy!" [deafening cheers, chants of "URVAD! URVAD!"]). Edit: Speaking ill of the Great Queen in any way likely is an excellent way to land yourself in the slammer for some "re-education".

(I hope all of that made sense; I wasn't feeling 100% today and I think I've hit the end of my rope :V  I can't remember how words work right now.)
so we are the dwarven equivalent of North Korea/Nazi Germany?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2015, 12:21:17 pm »

Somehow yes. Not quite sure how it happened. Although... I dunno, I'd rather our particular totalitarian dictatorship be given a character of its own rather than everyone thinking of it as "North Korea... WITH DWARVES!!!1!". Although that'd have a certain dark humour all its own.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2015, 02:08:16 pm »

Somehow yes. Not quite sure how it happened. Although... I dunno, I'd rather our particular totalitarian dictatorship be given a character of its own rather than everyone thinking of it as "North Korea... WITH DWARVES!!!1!". Although that'd have a certain dark humour all its own.

I was thinking of a highly-conservative to reactionary autoritarian regime strongly reliant on right-wing military elite (eg. generals, local nobility and such) and historical tradition (rather than real history). Like ones that existed once in Portugal/Greece/South America. I dunno really if His Gaudiness should be the king himself or a really famous marshal/prime minister/duce chosen by queen Urvad herself to govern the country instead of her weak-willed heir.

The Phalanx, mentioned in my entries, was intended to resemble an early fashist party, a paramilitary organisation consisting mainly of workers/farmers and supported by oligarchs (barons, in terms of DF). Phalangist, in turn, fully support His Gaudiness' dictate, only campaining for more popular measures and promotion of rampant nationalism. Oh, they also enjoy pogroms and marching with torches.

Adding hints of total corruption, secret police and mass poverty (induced by wars and forsed migration)...

Deep shit, mates.

(Southern Outpost, Cpl. Liz Drunkenwheel, 11th light infantry division(Frontier Guard))

- Met with one of the elven traders, tree humpers are basically broke... Bought some cheap-ass yellow jaspers though,  worth fifty creds, and a single black opal for hundred-fifty. Said their acolyte needed some for tree-bending spells, but, mate... Whatever floats their boat.
- A newlywed couple rode through the town... Sold them a green tourmaline pendant for a hundo. Armok bless rich mountainhome kids.
- Avuz managed to snatch a handful of garnets from the mine... Not that the sheriff is after him or somethin', but he seems a bit more bouncy then usual. Hey, man, you gotta earn for a living somehow, life's harsh here.
- Almost got my arse pulled over for AWOL. Guess who decided to screw with me? Tosid yet again! I'm so eager to smash her in the face right now...
- Apparently, [erased] has sold a batch of towed ballista missiles (solid steel, high-velocity) to gobbos. At this rate, we're running out of ammo... without actually shooting. I wonder what they will do next. I guess, make some cheaper iron ones? Anyway, after that he managed to score some dough off the caravan and- Let's not elaborate.
- Much less customers this week... Instead, wave after wave of migrants and refugees. Fresh meet for slums and brothels. Pawning their shit everywhere, turning the outpost into bazaar. And yeah, more of those "me love you long time" elven hoo- (the entry abruptly stops here. The page also features a list of goods and expences, namely charcoal, leather straps, a flask of river stills and giant bobcat tallow biscuits).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:30:01 pm by Monitor Lisard »
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 26, 2015, 03:26:59 pm »

I was thinking of a highly-conservative to reactionary autoritarian regime strongly reliant on right-wing military elite (eg. generals, local nobility and such) and historical tradition (rather than real history). Like ones that existed once in Portugal/Greece/South America. I dunno really if His Gaudiness should be the king himself or a really famous marshal/prime minister/duce chosen by queen Urvad herself to govern the country instead of her weak-willed heir.

The Phalanx, mentioned in my entries, was intended to resemble an early fashist party, a paramilitary organisation consisting mainly of workers/farmers and supported by oligarchs (barons, in terms of DF). Phalangist, in turn, fully support His Gaudiness' dictate, only campaining for more popular measures and promotion of rampant nationalism. Oh, they also enjoy pogroms and marching with torches.

Adding hints of total corruption, secret police and mass poverty (induced by wars and forsed migration)...

Deep shit, mates.

I slept through Social Studies, so I'm not the one to really dictate any of this, lol. I never really conceived of there being a secret police, though. Dunno why. I guess I always imagined any executions or punishments to be given in full view, with everyone watching and, whenever feasible, encouraged to participate (stonings are popular and seen as a fun thing that you take your kids to). There is likely a cadre of assassins or such intended to quietly do away with certain threats, though.

IIRC if you look in Legends Mode, His Gaudiness the current king actually ascended to the throne fairly-recently after his mother Urvad (yes she was his mother, at least according to the official records) passed away. He's an old fart to be sure (born in 61) and will probably kick the bucket himself in a few decades. He has sired 10 children over the decades, half of which he's outlived.
     It's totally possible that he's not actually related to the Great Queen, but was retconned into being her true heir due to the actual next-in-line being even more of a dolt than he is (if you want to get really twisted, His Gaudiness actually could have been Urvad's secret lover, since their age difference honestly isn't all that large in dwarven terms even though he's young enough to plausibly be her child).

I imagine the Royal Archivist (don't bother looking for her in Legends, I made her up) has quite a bit of sway over him, as she's held her position for far, far longer than he's held his (not sure how long, or how old she is... part of me wants her to actually be something nasty like a vampire, lol) and is extremely knowledgeable simply because being knowledgeable is literally her job, so I'd imagine he respects her judgement far more than he'll ever admit. She's basically the token "evil vizier", lol. The Archivist is largely responsible for controlling the flow of information; if she says something, people accept it as absolute truth, except for dwarves like Ribbon who are smart enough to notice the small inconsistencies in their lies.

I kind of picture it as being a weirdly-comforting state to live in, to be honest. You never have to question what's right or what's true because that information is supplied to you. You never have to be afraid of anything because most threats are kept out of sight and out of mind and any that aren't will surely be done away with, because you've been taught all your life that the kingdom is invincible.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 26, 2015, 03:29:44 pm »

I'd argue it's nowhere near that bad. Urvad is highly respected and nobody speaks ill of her, but children aren't required to memorize her sayings or anything like that. It's a voluntary personality cult.

With regard to flow of information - yeah, that's compatible with my concept of the cult. Some dwarves obviously recognize the inconsistencies but no one wants to rock the boat for the sake of such a small problem. The culture doesn't value the truth that much.

Journal of ImagoDeo Takemirrors, Sergeant of The Cobalt Planks

8th Limestone, 202

The last few days have been quite eventful. More goblin thieves keep sneaking around the fort, looking to steal children. It makes me nervous for my son's safety. However, Splint tells me he intends to chain some birds near the entrances, which should spot any thieves before they get too far into the fort. Several of my squad members have continued to improve their skills with spears and other weapons by spiking goblins and by sparring and demonstrations.

Splint hasn't impressed me very much as a leader so far. He has a bit of a temper. Moreover, pisskop - still carrying my firstborn - has been put into a ranged squad and has been on patrol duty for a few months. If anything happens to her or the baby... well, let's not think about that.

13th Sandstone, 202

Splint's showing his selfish side. Leaders like him were another reason I left the army: always grabbing the shiniest, most protective gear for themselves in an attempt to avoid dying, while they let the grunts go forward unprotected. This is precisely why I'm not happy with pisskop being under his command. Who knows what might happen? She's got a child to care for; she should be the one wearing that crazy new set of iron greaves. I don't care what other armor she got assigned. Splint has no right to claim the best for himself.

14th Timber, 202

I didn't see it myself, but Splint confided in me that one of the spawn showed up today. It mangled a cat. I don't know who dispatched it, or if it stayed long enough to meet our military in combat. I hope I don't have to fight any such creatures. Goblins are no challenge, but I prefer to fight opponents that die when you decapitate them, regardless of how simple the fighting may be. I've heard stories of these spawn and I'm not excited to engage them.

I'm still upset about pisskop's assignment, but at least she can fight at range. She tells me she's gaining quite a lot of experience with her crossbow, and watching her train I can certainly appreciate that. I hope she can kill whatever comes after her before it gets close.

1st Moonstone, 202

Pisskop and I have moved into new quarters. At least Splint has done his best to improve accommodations. Our bedroom is quite spacious. We rarely spend time there together since we're both training fairly frequently, but when we do get some time outside the training room we generally have enough privacy. We may have another dwarflet on the way in half a year or so. :)

4th Moonstone, 202

Splint's violent side showed through yesterday when he assaulted the outpost liaison. I heard him muttering something later about needing every scrap of armor we can lay our hands on. I suppose the liaison told him the mountainhome needed equipment. I agree with Splint's complaints, but there's no justification for attacking someone like that. The dwarf was just doing his job.

I saw Mr Frog the other day. He doesn't seem to be doing very well. Pisskop said she heard him mumbling to himself about Rakust. Her ghost proved me wrong about the rumors of her death, but it vanished - apparently satisfied - when Splint ordered someone to engrave a memorial slab and stick it in the catacombs. Maybe Mr Frog will find some peace sooner or later...

7th Moonstone, 202

I spoke too soon. Today the caravan guards were assaulted by another of the spawn. Its head was caved in and then chopped off but it kept coming until one of the swordsdwarves sliced it in half. My spear suddenly seems terribly insufficient for the task at hand.

Mr Frog's nerves are beginning to get on my nerves. If he doesn't calm down, he might make the whole fort jittery and tense. His eyes look everywhere but the eyes of the dwarves he speaks to, and almost nothing he says is coherent. He doesn't belong here, and if I ever get a chance to make decisions around here, I'll send him back to the mountainhome with the first caravan.

3rd Opal, 202

At least Splint is capable enough in combat. Two birds got stuck in the mist outside and he and pisskop took care of them. A little proof of her readiness with a crossbow is welcome, but I'm still not comfortable with her being a part of the fort's militia. I haven't said anything to Splint because I know he won't change his mind. When the next overseer takes over at the end of the year, though... well, we'll see.

It's like Queen Urvad used to say, according to my old elementary school history teacher: "Time is the ally of every dwarf who is vigilant for opportunity."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:56:26 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 26, 2015, 03:36:52 pm »

Unrelatedly, I've been continuing the fort on my own where I left off, and y'all will be pleased to know that in less than three months I've already managed to get Jeff killed and Lizzie and a random speardwarf maimed, set fire to a cavern, incinerate a turkey, and create an infinitely-burning nuclear yellow diamond. ...I don't think I should be allowed to play with magma.

I'd argue it's nowhere near that bad. Urvad is highly respected and nobody speaks ill of her, but children aren't required to memorize her sayings or anything like that. It's a voluntary personality cult.

With regard to flow of information - yeah, that's compatible with my concept of the cult. Some dwarves obviously recognize the inconsistencies but no one wants to rock the boat for the sake of such a small problem. The culture doesn't value the truth that much.

Part of me wants there to be a running gag where people take random stupid things that Urvad said and treat them as deep and profound.

As the Great Queen once said... "Fuck! My toe! Fuck fuck FUCK!"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 26, 2015, 03:50:47 pm »

Not to diminish your entries ImageoDeo, but I will correct some minor details.

I did in fact issue line armor for everyone. The main difference between melee and ranged line armor is that Melee armor is made for tanking hits with rigid stuff, and they actually have to get up close and personal with those nasty buggers. The marksdwarves are issued leather over chain armor and bucklers to cut down on weight while still providing decent enough protection from the nonspawn enemies (since encumbrance negatively affects Rate of Fire, and they won't use secondary weapons very reliably in this version in my experience.)

Pisskop and all the other marksdwarves still need thier leather body armor to go over the mail shirts and the chain leggings (the cloaks can slide since everyone seems to own at least one already.) They otherwise have everything else - bucklers, weapons, boots, helmets, and so-on. Note for cherry-hearts, the marksdwarves need thier metal pants and leather body armor.

The Cobalt Planks also share their training space with all the other squads still as far as I know, so you do get to see her and the baby fairly often (as of when I turned in my save your dwarf was in the barracks four tiles away in fact. :P)

And now for words of wisdom from Colonel Splint to all speardwarves: Aim for the chest. Ram your spear right into the center of those snapping maws, and the all-maker will show you how weak spawn really are against skilled warriors.

EDIT: And I better be at the forefront of any fighting. The Colonel will not rest on his laurels, he's going to lead by example damn it! Or at least try to as his lover keeps showing him up (damn you and your faster legs mikethete!)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2015, 04:02:17 pm »

Please sign me up for a turn and a dwarf, whatshisname if possible;

Crashmaster -- male -- jack-of-all-trades/mechanic -- No one of consequence

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 26, 2015, 04:28:09 pm »

Please sign me up for a turn and a dwarf, whatshisname if possible;

Crashmaster -- male -- jack-of-all-trades/mechanic -- No one of consequence

No

Whatshisname is sacred

None shall learn of his true name, for speaking it shall bring the world to ruin

Still, adding you to the list. Welcome aboard!

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 26, 2015, 04:31:02 pm »

Unrelatedly, I've been continuing the fort on my own where I left off, and y'all will be pleased to know that in less than three months I've already managed to get Jeff killed and Lizzie and a random speardwarf maimed, set fire to a cavern, incinerate a turkey, and create an infinitely-burning nuclear yellow diamond. ...I don't think I should be allowed to play with magma.

Part of me wants there to be a running gag where people take random stupid things that Urvad said and treat them as deep and profound.

As the Great Queen once said... "Fuck! My toe! Fuck fuck FUCK!"

I imagine mountainhall dwarves refusing to believe refugees' claims of their hometown getting ravaged by Spawn. Like, "Half of the country lies in ruins? Sculkers and stragglers everywhere? Spawn claiming new lands? Bollocks! You must be either mad or stupid to say such things, elf-loving bum!"
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 26, 2015, 04:41:07 pm »

And lo, did His Gaudiness launch an effort to "expand" - the truth of the matter being a mass invasion of the lands the kingdom has lost to the banshees, goblins, and spawn, and maybe even actually expand after that (so that all those damned refugees can be put to use and get them the hell out of his capital city.) However, outposts to draw the enemy away are needed...

cherry-hearts

• Bay Watcher
  • Best Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 26, 2015, 05:46:52 pm »

Overseer's Log; 2nd Granite 203:

So, I told the miners to look for even more exposed veins and to dig out anything they find. The colonel was all over my ass over my "gross misappropriation of fortress resources," or some shit like that. I told him that he was totally jealous that he didn't come up with such a genius evil plan first. That seemed to get him really mad, so I told him that I needed to go piss as an excuse to get out of there as fast as I could.

I also noticed that we had rough gems, but no jeweler's shop. I was all like: "What's the deal!" There's also no wood furnace anywhere, so I made sure to order one of those and one of those jeweler's shop. Good job, Mr. Bossman, dude!

Overseer's Log; 6th Granite 203:

Dude! Another one of those freaky clouds has blown in. If the colonel was right, we should be looking forward to this happening, like, once a month, or whatever.

The only things I see outside, though, are, like, some gray bird things that are nowhere near the cloud. So I think I can give this situation Jef's Totally Official Seal of Safety.

Overseer's Log; 9th Granite 203:

The clouds are all gone, and as I suspected, we were in no danger at all. I made sure to let everyone know that under my leadership, they were as safe as my personal stash.

OOC: So, should I, or should I not, dwarf Crashmaster as Whatshisname?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:50:02 pm by cherry-hearts »
"Un estado totalitario armonizará en España el funcionamiento de todas las capacidades y energías del país, que dentro de la Unidad Nacional, el trabajo estimado como el más ineludible de los deberes será el único exponente de la voluntad popular."
—Francisco Franco
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 140