Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The fortress's situation is looking increasingly unsalvageable. What do?

Roll back to before Taupe's disastrous turn
Keep going and see what happens
Let it die

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 140

Author Topic: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- The End(?)  (Read 377635 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- Jungle Fever!
« Reply #375 on: August 04, 2015, 09:45:24 pm »

because mastering a skill should take a lifetime, not 2 years.

In 40.xx any sentient with slow learner is disqualified from player nobilty.  So now I have 40% skill gains in the raws.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 04, 2015, 10:09:04 pm »

because mastering a skill should take a lifetime, not 2 years.

In 40.xx any sentient with slow learner is disqualified from player nobilty.  So now I have 40% skill gains in the raws.

You have a point there. I always thought it was silly how my miners would usually hit Legendary after one friggin' year :V  Bonecrafters and other round-the-clock jobs were almost as bad

If you want to get really clever, I'm pretty sure you can set individual skill rates in the raws, so you can nerf things like mining and crafting that normally level up ridiculously-quickly while leaving things like military skills relatively-untouched. But I guess that's a discussion for another thread. *furiously notes down ideas for my total conversion mod*
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 04, 2015, 10:41:05 pm »

Spoiler: rambldy ramble (click to show/hide)

Ramble ramble, I'm done now, sorry.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 06, 2015, 01:03:23 pm »

DLed dwarf Therapist to help me micromanage the jobs.  Blackmsiths are no longer allowed to stone haul with 150 bars of lead and gold laying around the magma forger, for example.

I'll be spending about 30 minutes derping around, another 30 playing in therapist and surfing in legends viewer, and then begin my glorious quest for meaning.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 06, 2015, 02:50:46 pm »

DLed dwarf Therapist to help me micromanage the jobs.  Blackmsiths are no longer allowed to stone haul with 150 bars of lead and gold laying around the magma forger, for example.

I'll be spending about 30 minutes derping around, another 30 playing in therapist and surfing in legends viewer, and then begin my glorious quest for meaning.

Fabulous timing; I was just about to pester you for a status report.

Yeah, Dwarf Therapist use is completely acceptable. Don't think it can even do anything drastic besides managing jobs, lol.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 06, 2015, 05:14:33 pm »

Tuman, God of Dwarven Justice . . .

Spoiler: Granite104 militia (click to show/hide)
  Today the fort which you have sent me to came under my charge.  Granted, I took advantage of the wariness that this place instills in the leadership, but nonetheless I'm here, incharge of near 100 dwarves.  I'll do my best to guide them . . .
  The first thing I did was cut the innoguration party down in the dining room.  Lungfish for me, please.  And, you know, if I cant have syrup biscuits I see no reaosn for the rest of them to have it while they relax.  I asked the metalsmtihs to get to work on forging bolts and gauntlets for the macedwarf squad we have.  They looked at me squarely and said that they made 2 sets of gauntlets for everyone, just as perscribed.  one of them went off and grabbed a boulder.  When questioned he told me he was hauling rocks!

'Excuse me?  Hauling rocks?!!'

What kind of metalsmith is he, to spend his time hauling rocks instead of smithing armor for our best and bravest!
  And, ohhh, by no means is it limited to just Tobul, or just the metal industry.  Every single dwarve in the place got to pick and choose what job they were doing, for the most part.  Stone Crafters were butchering corpses, and farmers were brewing and digging, one dwarf was trying to make honey, and another thought that his job as engraver menat he needed to build siege engines!  Dear lords, I went right off the the manager and had a chat.
  The manager told me about the previous overseer's desire to mint money.  Sure, but then I told him to get some golden statues sculpted, and some lead chair and table done in.  I might order some lead flasks and perhaps some nice metal crutches.  The carpenter needed to pump out 40 beds stat, the miners were to limit their spelunking and dig out a proper crossbow range, and the engineers needed to construct the trap to kill that damned FB that stinking up the caverns so we could get some trees!

Spoiler: Reformed militia (click to show/hide)
  I checked over everyone's summary profile and assigned generic jobs based upon their current skillset and basic fortress needs.  We needed suprisingly little, save for a backup this or another that, so most of the time I tried to keep sufficient staff at the workshops while also filling in the ghastly holes in the barracks rooster.  I commandeered the cavern01 hole, sealed off whatever project the last overseer was doing in there, and created a second barracks for us archers and the macedwarves.
  Once the trap was dug and the support beamed hooked up we installed doors, offered up a puppy as bait, and opened up the caves.  The FB was nowhere in sight, oddly enough, but scouts reported its eyes peering dullly from the waters.  Good, we sent out the miners to clear a small platform and establish a decent LOS from our door.  While installing a chain to perhaps bait it with a turkey, it stirred, and we all ran inside, the militia stationing themselves in case the beast was more cunning than we.
Spoiler: Puppy-Ciao (click to show/hide)
  The puppy-bait skillfully dodged out of the way of the monster, diving out the portal into the caverns!  The poor thing, its going to ruin our plan!  Cripes, the beast soon chases it down, kicking it into the wall and killing it in a single deft blow.  The beast was content to come back to the trap, and luckily, it stopped to attempt to dismantle the very pillar supporting its demise.  I reorder the lever pulled . . .

Success!  The beast dead, I sent out miners to investigate the area.  I waited for trouble from the local cave croc and olm, but they were perhaps more content not dying.  My son Nil did come by to talk to me, however, showing me this lovely mushroom about to burst.  Sweet, but the cavern is currently dangerous, so i sent him inside.
Spoiler: Beast BGone (click to show/hide)

Migrants!  They arrived in a tizzy, and out of breathe.  It took a few minutes to get from them that banshees were on their way to attack!  Its only felsite, but already I've cheered up some, killed a beast, designed a cistern for the caves that is also compatible with the topside dining room, and now I'm going hunting!!

May the hammer smite the loose nail, adwarf.
PKs DF Mod!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 06, 2015, 09:33:08 pm »

We are building up a truly horrendous track record with puppies.

E: Just on a whim, I want someone to draw me a picture of the puppy's epic battle with Luge.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:48:07 pm by Mr Frog »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (34.11 Succession) Clobbermountains -- We ♥ Puppies!
« Reply #382 on: August 07, 2015, 12:18:43 am »

I'll go first:

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2015, 06:12:48 am »

Why the in the fuck did this put a big grin on my face? I was in favor of not killing the puppies, and them dying constantly is making me giggle. Why.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 07, 2015, 11:25:51 am »

hunh.  'holistic spawn theif'.  Actually I have some minor concerns that their mountainhomes designations might slow down their war path.  theyve declared zero wars according to legends viewer.
PKs DF Mod!

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 07, 2015, 12:09:09 pm »

Perhaps we may draw their ire over the treatment of puppies.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 07, 2015, 02:25:51 pm »

hunh.  'holistic spawn theif'.  Actually I have some minor concerns that their mountainhomes designations might slow down their war path.  theyve declared zero wars according to legends viewer.

I think it may be more because I possibly-somewhat-naively set all their ethics to NOT_APPLICABLE in the entity raws, on the grounds that they legitimately do not give a shit about ethics in the first place, being soulless monsters and all. I don't think the Spawn really 'wage war', at least not over ideological disagreements. They just sort of kill and eat everything in their path.

Perhaps we may draw their ire over the treatment of puppies.

The spawn will arrive, watch us slaughtering puppies en masse for no particular reason and using them as live bait and test subjects, and just be all "daaaaamn, we may be the unholy anathema to Armok's noble design but these guys are legit messed up"

Why the in the fuck did this put a big grin on my face? I was in favor of not killing the puppies, and them dying constantly is making me giggle. Why.

May I use this as an excuse to put it in the quote bank? It's not as full as I'd like.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 07, 2015, 04:30:36 pm »

oh dear god
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »

Evenhanded Tuman, blind to our scorn and praise,

Spoiler: Fight (click to show/hide)
  We defensively assaulted the banshees at our own entrance hall, striking them down with complete impunity.  Many of our soldiers were not even at the gate when the fighting began, and a few never got to see action at all!
Spoiler: End fight (click to show/hide)
  We staggered our formation so that the strongest would be in front.  A blip of interesting in our day; which now I leave to my haulers to clean up.

While touring the grounds, I see steam rising from the volcano!  A magma crab is collecting rainwater and boiling it away, the little scamp.

I sorted out the 27 migrants that flooded the fortress.  I suspect that the previous overseer had requested them for some sort of labor . . .  so I made sure to tell my assistants to send word that 150 dwarves were the maximum population of Clobbermountains.  I started a second speardwarf and markdwarf squad, and began a hammerdwarf squad.  If only I had noticed the lack of iron that was creeping up upon us.  More needed to be found.
  I set the top left smelter to melt various items, from bought flutes to low quality failures from our own craftsdwarves.  I've noticed our propensity to use bone bolts, and as I find the current waste desposal system lacking in logisitcs I have ordered 3 refuse rooms be dug in addition to what we have already queued up.
  While expanding, I've decided that its for the best if we dig out a jail; and who better to serve justice than the dwarf who prays to the god of Justice?  I've promoted myself to Captain of the Guard and gathered a few guardsmen to assist me.  The jail will be close to the new guardsmens quarters I've selceted; and that will be down the hall from my new quarters, which houses the passageway to my new tomb.  Indeed, there is so much work to be done for the good of the fortress!
Spoiler: Cavernside Floor (click to show/hide)

While exploring the caverns, we found it to be almost 50% water.  There is a downward passage on the far bank, and under that more hematite, spider webs, and nether-caps.  Nether-caps!  We've sent the word to the miners (who are now in their own inactive reserve squad) to dig the hematite, and we'll likely have to dig down there eventually, to ease the collection process.

When the elves came we considered requisitioning their property; but in the end it was easier to show them our shiny granite rings and hefty specters and handy mugs; 7000 urists worth of wood and cloth were pruchaused in the hopes that they bring even more wood next year.
  Another migrant wave arrived, 17 of them ready to fight.  Or so they should be, 80% of them are now in their barracks.  We caught one migrant trying to hunt those funky gorilla monsters that have 4 arms.  she ran out of ammo and ran off, but when I added her name to the guard rooster she smashed her pursuers face in quite easily.

To prepare ourselves better I've taken to adding the odd cage trap here and there.  I wanted to spring for glass or weapon traps, but we have no native sand and we can spare precious few weapons.  So far we've caught 2 thieves, so we know it works.  We are currently casting ballots about how to dispose of them; either by imprisoning them permanently, dumping them into the volcano, beheading, or firing squad.
Spoiler: Gobbo (click to show/hide)

The Humans arrived in Galena.  They brought with them an ambush squad of goblins, who riddled the human caravaneer with bolts and arrows.  The human guards ran forward to provide cover, but were fighting uphill; serious injuries or death befell them.  To make matters even worse, a cloud of that bloodred mist was broiling the mountain towards them, missing our Depot entrance by a few meters and forcing us to station our squads up there.  When faced with the possibility of losing the humans and facing brutish goblins I ordered the militia out.  We fought them back with 2 casualties of our own, saving the life of one guard and allowing several merchants to lead their pack animals off-site and away from danger.
Spoiler: Close (click to show/hide)

Close calls aside, a bird was caught in another cloud of dust and has begun stalking the mountainsides.  We will stay inside for now and watch its carefully.  on the positive side, Wolf created an artifact weapon rack that would look just fabulous in my office!  it has GCS silk hanging off of it and the spikes are made of gabbro!

I've also heard that there is a human caravan guard who was too injured to leave.  He was left in our care, but due to a lack of a hospital he has been crawling around on his broken hand and actively pursuing critters in the cavern!  He is about the most dwarven human I've ever seen, granted my experience with humies is limited to cavern engravings and the merchants.
Spoiler: Crawl (click to show/hide)
  Still, I wish he'd go rest up and take it east; he's got a broken hip, a broken leg, a broken hand, and he's still bleeding from the skull!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:53:11 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2015, 06:20:46 pm »

The last of the humans were about 3 tiles ahead of the seething mist.  That was pclose.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 140